prepaid cell phones - without the phone?

I’m going to the US for a couple of months soon, and although my British cell (mobile!) phone does work over there, my US family refuse to let me use it! They’re sure it will cost me too much to make or receive calls while I’m there, even though it only added about £6 to my bill the last time I went.

When we had overseas visitors here recently, I bought a sim card and £10 of call time, and put it in one of my old handsets for them to use while they were here. Big success, they could call if they were lost in the city, or back from a day trip. It was SO much easier to stay in touch, instead of hunting about for working phonebooths and change.

The question is, can I do the same thing over there? Just buy a sim card, and some minutes, and use my own (spare) phone? My searching seems to indicate that the prepay deals always include the phone.

I am not flogging this company’s products or services, but this [url=http://www.international-phone-card-express.com/faq.php]FAQ for one pre-paid card indicates that you should be able to use your own spare phone.

By implication you can use your own phone.

Caught the coding error after hitting submit. Round two:

I am not flogging this company’s products or services, but this FAQ for one pre-paid card indicates that you should be able to use your own spare phone.

By implication you can use your own phone.

Sorry, Otto, but that site has nothing whatsoever to do with answering the OP. It is selling prepaid long-distance calling cards which can be used from any phone in the US. The bit you quoted is explaining that using a cell phone to place such long distance calls will use up your card faster, due to higher rates. This would be fine if the OP had a cell phone with a US service provider, which he does not.

This sounds more like what the OP wants:

That does seem to be the thing. Thanks Q.E.D. I didn’t expect it to be $89 though, the sim I bought was only £6. Carrying on to the T-Mobile site, it says "If you already have a T-Mobile phone, purchase an activation code (with 120 minutes) and a SIM card. ", and also suggests I can just pick it up at CVS or 7-Eleven, which is what I’d hoped.

Now I know it’s possible, I’ll worry about it when I get there.

Thanks for the speedy responses.

I’m sure you can do better than US$89. That was just one of the first hits I found, just to show it’s possible–not to find you the best deal. That’s your job. :wink:

Seriously, I’ll poke around a little and see if I can find anything better.

No need to poke further, now I know it’s possible, I can take it from here. Or there; like I said, I’ll worry about it when I get there. I wasn’t getting very far on my own, with the searching - just because of the terminology. It’s such a simple thing, why wouldn’t it be possible? But I couldn’t find anything to say it was…

Thanks again, now go help people with proper questions. Your work here is done. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if this is any use but some phones need to be ‘unlocked’ to use different SIM cards. You might want check that out.

Good point, thanks. I’ll investigate. I wasn’t sure what was meant by ‘if you have a t-mobile phone, you can buy a t-mobile sim’, but that makes sense. It wasn’t an issue before as I’ve always used O2.