The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-07-2000, 06:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

A few days ago in the Wall Street Journal I read a small piece about a man in Alaska who supposedly got a bezoar from eating Brussels sprouts at the cafeteria at his work. He sued and won in court. I canít remember if it was his employer or workersí compensation that he sued.

I knew about bezoars caused by hair and foreign objects (like Styrofoam) from reading Cecilís column on bezoars. But I never before heard of getting bezoars from eating what is generally considered to be edible (if not palatable) food. According to a site about phytobezoars they are caused by fruit and vegetable fibers, especially from pulpy foods like persimmons and oranges, and especially if food isnít properly chewed.

I donít much like Brussels sprouts, but I do enjoy broccolli and cabbage, which are the same species as B.S. (Brassica oleracea), but different varieties. Also, I donít chew as well as I ought to. Should I be worried that Iím going to develop bezoars? Or is this just another case of litigation gone awry?
Old 06-07-2000, 06:39 PM

The funny part is that my dog is named Bezoar and she eats anything!
Old 06-07-2000, 10:05 PM
Right Hand of the Master

Belgium is a very tiny country, and Brussel sprouts are what they use instead of cabbages.
Old 06-07-2000, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Or is this just another case of litigation gone awry?

Or maybe its really a case of read-about-it-I-must-have-it hypochondria. You have a better chance of having a hysterical bezoar than a real one.

If anyone has a real bezoar I've been looking to buy one for some time.
Old 06-08-2000, 02:11 PM

The Three Rivers Endoscopy Center has lists of high-fiber foods. Brussels sprouts are way, way down the list, after ALL the dried legumes, nearly all of the fruits (fresh and dried), and after green peas, a baked potato with its skin, kale, broccoli, carrots, and corn. (The charts are about halfway down the page on the website.)

Sounds to me like the jury just awarded it to the guy because they didn't know from Brussels sprouts, either.

P.S. An endoscopy (colonoscopy) is what they do when they want to look around in your colon, with the optic fiber and little lights. (Guess where they insert it. Nooo, they don't poke a hole in your abdomen...) Your colon has to be free of fiber for them to be able to see anything, so for a couple of days beforehand, you have to eat no fiber whatsoever, plus have all kinds of wonderful enemas and things.
Old 06-08-2000, 04:09 PM

Woohoo, Now I can sue my mom for making me eat brussel sprouts, and therefore putting me in danger(a childhood dream come true.) Anybody got any good litigious dirt on liver?