Bank of America can suck my fat American dick!

So… a little background I guess to get started. I have direct deposit with my job at school. For some reason, it didn’t go through on Friday like it should have, which would have avoided this whole mess, but that’s an altogether separate rant, likely to be posted after I discuss this situation with school officials. But, expecting to be paid on Friday via direct deposit, as I have been paid every 15th and last day of the month for the past 4 months, my fiancee and I used our debit card and wrote a check on the 30th (the day I should have gotten my pay, since the 31st was a Saturday). Then we found the money hadn’t been deposited and we were about to be overdrawn.

I checked the bank account online Monday morning. Well, on Monday, nothing was pending, we were close to being overdrawn (cuz we used the card and check on Friday), so store-clerk-slacker deposited her paycheck in cash Monday afternoon (after 2pm). When I got off work that evening, I deposited my paycheck that the school gave me to make up for not receiving my pay on Friday (after 8pm).

So the next day, still feeling antsy about my account, I check my balance online again to find we are now overdrawn for two transactions:

1. The debit card transaction for $4.09 used to buy cigarettes
  2. The $18.50 check used to buy a pizza.

The fee is $33 per overdrawn transactions, so we’re gonna be hit with $66 in fees for $22.59 in purcahses. That’s $88.59 for one pizza and a pack of smokes. Now I like pizza and cancer sticks, but I could’ve used that money getting titties rubbed in my face on the East Side if I just wanted to throw the money away and be left with feelings of frustration afterwards. The kicker? According to my online bank statement these transactions posted to my account on Monday.

Hang on a second… Monday?! I checked my account online on Monday. We have a receipt from the bank when slacker made her deposit that we had a positive balance in the account after the deposit she made Monday afternoon at 4:00! And on top of them saying these transactions went through on Monday, the cash deposit is still showing as pending!

Ok, so here’s why I’m ticked… I can understand the deposits not being credited to our account on Monday, cuz they were made after 2pm. I can understand the check still being in ‘pending’ status. But the CASH?! It was a CASH DEPOSIT, why is it still pending on Tuesday afternoon? We had the money, we gave the bank the money, the bank now HAS OUR CASH, but it isn’t credited to the account until Wednesday?!

So we go to the bank and ask them, (and I’m paraphrasing here) “What the fuck?!” And the bank replied (again, paraphrasing), “You’re fucked, that’s what the fuck.”

They told us, in a roundabout and double-talk manner using phrases that could have confused Yogi Berra, that our deposits (including cash- CASH!) are credited to the account the business day after the deposit is made. So if I deposited my cash on Monday before 2pm, it still wouldn’t have been credited to my account until Tuesday, which is why when the deposit is made after 2pm it’s credited on Wednesday. So even if slacker had deposited the cash Monday before 2:00, it wouldn’t have been credited to the account until Tuesday, meaning we still would have been screwed on the withdrawals, which were credited Monday.

Starting to get a little confusing yet? Good, you’re almost where I was yesteday afternoon sitting across from the bank lady “explaining” this to us.

My response (paraphrased, you understand), is, “But it’s fucking caaaaash! What’s to verify? The bank has the money. We had the money and we gave the bank the money – in CASH.” And the bank lady responded, “Uh-huh?” As if she didn’t understand what I was getting at here.

Then my other problem was the fact that our deposits after 2pm don’t count until the next business day, but the withdrawals made after 2pm count right away. So they can take money out any hour of the day and night, including times when the bank isn’t even fucking open, but we can only deposit between the hours of 8am-2pm. See, cuz what we had been told was those withdrawals posted at midnight. Well if it posted at midnight, why does the date say 8-2 instead of 8-3?

We went round and round, were told more double talk and more bullshit about why withdrawals were allowed after 2pm, but deposits weren’t (even the direct deposit is pending for a day after it is made) until we got tired of hearing the same spiel and left.

Well now, we’re closing our account and switching banks. I don’t know anything about banking, but I do think it’s fair that:
a) a cash deposit should be credited to my account on the business day it was made,
b) if I can only deposit during certain hours of the day, then they should only be able to withdraw certain hours of the day,
and c) Bank of America can suck my fat American dick.

They definitely owe you at least $66 worth of rubbing your face with titties (hopefully, Helga in the vault washed up this morning for you)…after that happens, get the hell out of that money-trap they call a bank. I left them years ago, and never shed a tear over that departure.

Try BankOne, I hear they swallow.

BoA is notorious for these sorts of things. IIRC, there was a class action against them for playing unfunny games with when they sent checks through.
My friends had troubles. They got them straightened out. However, his mom was a bigwig in the dowtown office.
I don’t know what to tell you.

But yeah, all I’ve ever heard about them is that they are fuckers.

Gee, I’ve never had any trouble with BofA…

If you work for your school, you should be eligible for for an account at a number of area credit unions. Do yourself a favor: open up a credit union account and have your direct deposit either partially or completely desposited in it. You’ll get more personalized service and avoid a lot of crappy, expensive fees. Also, you’ll probably save yourself some headaches and get some consideration if you need a loan.

The only thing I like about my BoA account is seeing my cashed checks online, but I’m told my credit union will have this feature soon.

I would just like to add a few things that Crunchy left out.

When we walked into the bank, we were greeted by their new approach to better customer service: A door greater. As soon as I realized she would be the one handling our problem, I knew we were screwed.

My next clue as to the fucking we were to recieve, was her tone of voice and her "I’m not really listening to you so I’ll just listen for the pauses and answer with a cheerful ‘Uh-Huh’ ".
As we explained our situation and proceeded to ask questions, she wiggled her way out shit faster then Houdini strapped in a straight jacket, handcuffed, hanging upside down in water.

The point at which I completely lost my cool, and became slightly immature. I asked her about the two transactions (explained in OP) and how/why they were posted to my account after 4:00. First she tried to tell me that because the one transaction was made on the 29th, it posts to my account as soon as it comes thru, but will remain pending until the merchant sends it thru, which they have 5 days to do. I ask her if its pending this whole time, why can I not see it when I bank online? Her answer:

“Well you can’t rely on the online banking. It’s not always accurate.” To which she got a look from me that said “Are you fucking kidding me?”

I then proceeded to tell her that when I made my cash deposit the day before, I asked the teller if there was a way she could look at my account and tell me what or if there was anything more pending and/or posting since earlier that day. She checked and let me know that I was indeed safe and gave me my ending balance.

Her reply: “It is not the tellers responsiblity to tell you whats pending or posted on your account. It is your responsibility by using your little book, to properly know what you spend.” I know its not her responsiblity or duty you half wit!! She did it to help me. Besides I obviously can’t trust your online banking, so you would think that at the bank they would have accurate information.

So again I ask her why it posted the day before if banking hours are from 8-2?

Bank Bitch-“Because it posted after midnite.”
Me-“Then why is it dated 8/2? Wouldn’t it be dated 8/3 if that were the case?”
Bank Bitch-“Its dated the 29th.”
Me-“But it went thru 8/2.”
Bank Bitch-“Because it posted at midnite.”
Me-“Then why is it dated for 8/2?”
Bank Bitch-" Because it posted at midnite."

This is where I turned sideways, raised my hand and pulled a Fez and said Good-Day. I said Good-Day!

I second the Credit Union suggestion. Mine has direct-deposit that has never let me down, on-line banking, and an agressive series of bells and whistles designed to keep depositors away from banks. Ask around at work - I’ll bet a number of people can tell you the best CU in your area.

My father has suggested this very thing to us, remarking that fees are much lower and customer appreciation is higher.

I myself would rather go to a smaller bank, that is not such a huge empire. Being well known and nationwide doesn’t mean you’re better.

The online banking I can do with out, altho it is a nice perk if you don’t have time to make it to the bank to check your balance. to which we know is not always accurate :rolleyes:

Askia is right on. Drop BofA. Get a credit union.

First of all, BofA policies are designed to perform just as they have in your case. Fees like that are the most profitable part of their business. It costs them nothing to implement, but brings in a small fortune. They have no desire to see that you’re satisfied with your banking experience, unless of course you’ve got so much fucking money in their bank that you’ll never be charged an overdraft fee.

I belong to a credit union whose offices are all in Connecticut. I live in LA. (Long story.) I’ve tried opening up accounts here in my own city, but have closed them all, because their service sucks. The one time I found a bank with good service (Glendale Federal), they got bought out by a larger bank with BofA type policies. Bottom line is that I am much happier with my credit union all the way across the fucking continent than I have been with any local bank.

ATM fees? None, if I withdraw at least $60 and use either a grocery store or a no fee ATM. (Like Washington Mutual)

Overdraft fees? None. I have a line of credit/overdraft protection. Even when my credit was crap, they offered me $500 of overdraft protection. If I max that out, the NSF fee is $18.

I earn interest on savings and checking.

They offer a Visa with no fees and good interest rates.

They have a small staff with low turnover. When I call, they know me, I know them, we have talked before, we are on first name basis. It just makes for a more pleasant overall experience, one that was taken for granted a generation ago but seems to be forgotten now.

After 14 years with them, they treat me fairly and reasonably when I ask for credit. I’ve paid all my debts to them in a timely manner and without being late, and they take that into account above and beyond my credit report score.

And best of all, major institutional banks hate credit unions. :smiley:

I canceled my BoA account for these very reasons. I think the main thing keeping that bank running is the fees.

I would go in and talk to a branch manager. If you’ve had a pretty good account she/he should cancel those charges. If they won’t, then tell them “fine. I’d like to cancel my account then. And, by the way, what is the name/address of YOUR boss? I need to write them a letter.”

When I closed my BoA account, it was for these very reasons. Well, almost. I was double charged by a store which put me into overdraft (to the tune of about $120 in overdraft charges). BoA wanted to see copies of both receipts from the transactions. I couldn’t get it though their head I only made ONE transaction. The second one is a mistake.

After going back and forth with them I just said “I can’t deal with this bank anymore. I’m getting charged all these fees just because someone else -not me- made an error and you aren’t willing to work with me on this”

At that time I pulled the “I’d like to close my account/who’s YOUR boss”. Within minutes the charges were reversed and they found the paperwork to investigate the double charge.

A few days later I moved all but $20 to another bank (I had made a deposit the day I was trying to work this whole mess out) and a few weeks after that I closed that account.

Here’s another weird thing that happened with BoA. Like most people, I have a “change jar”. When it gets filled I dump the change out and deposit it into my account. I dumped the change into a bag and took it to BoA. They don’t have change counters at any of the branches -just at the downtown store. They said to estimate the amount and they’ll deposit that into my account. Once the change is counted, they adjust that figure.

I thought that seemed weird, but whatever. They’re a bank. I figure I could trust them. I guessed $70 and they deposited that into my account.

Several weeks pass and no adjustment. I go down to the branch with my deposit slip from the change. No one can tell me anything about it. All they can see is I deposited $70 cash that day. Someone at the branch was supposed to check into it for me, but after a few weeks they couldn’t come up with any more information.

I finally gave up and figured I guessed high anyway. no big deal. Bank error in my favour, collect $25.

BUT,. several months later my change jar was filled again and I headed down to my new bank to deposit. They counted the change and I had $95.

Hmmmm?

I would think, since your employer screwed up your pay deposit, they should cover any overage charges imposed by your bank.

Or, at the least, provide a letter to the effect that, “Hi, we’re Crunchy Frog’s boss and we fucked up his pay,” so the bank will credit back the charges.

Strange. My BofA deposits are always added to the “available funds” even when they’re still pending.

You should have asked her to put that in writing, on BOA letterhead.

Yeah, ours show that way too, but as it was explained to us at the bank, it’s pending; it hasn’t ‘officially’ posted, so it’s not officially in our account yet. So let’s say you have $5.00 in the bank. You make a deposit at noon for $20. You have $25 available, but $20 of it is pending, it’s not officially in your account. So then a check goes through for $15 that same day. By BoA practices, your $20 deposit doesn’t post until the next day (even though you’re there at noon and you deposit cash). You officially only have $5 in the bank to cover a $15 check.

So you’re now officially -$10 on your account. The $20 posts the next day, do you have $10 in your account? NO! Cuz officially that check didn’t clear, so you’re hit with an overdraft protection fee of $33. There goes your $10 and now you owe the bank an extra $23.

They’re a buncha fuckers I tell ya.

They would have just found away around that, and denied such things. :rolleyes:
It seems they have a special training course just for that purpose:

“How to bullshit your way around customer complaints 101”

I’m telling ya, this was definitely not her first time dealing with this type of issue. She had the dialogue down to a tee. Right down to her chipper “Uh-Huh”

BoA sucks ass!

:smack:

I forgot to add this to my post.

The way to avoid that is to maintain a savings account and transfer funds when necessary. Of course, you might not be in a position to do so.

Just so you’re aware, all of the rules that are pissing you off are federally-mandated things that apply to all banks, not Bank of America policies.

I recently closed a bank account for some of the same reasons. Because of my own fault, I thought I had about $100 more in the account than I did. So I used my debit card and made two purchases, each one had a $30 overdraft fee with it, ok fine. Then there was ANOTHER $30 fee for recurring overdraft charge. SO basically if I make more than one overdraft charge I actualy get charged 1.5 times the overdraft charge. I’m not sure if this is a national standard or just that bank, but I closed the account and paid off the balance, since I moved and couldn’t keep using that bank anyways.