The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 08-14-2004, 12:30 AM

Sorority sisters: what's a "lemon squeeze"?

A friend of mine is doing research for a story, and he asked me if I knew anything about a practice in sororities known as "a lemon squeeze." I was never in a sorority, but apparently it involves the telling of secrets, or the alternate critique and praise of each girl. My friend wants to know what the rules are, how it's played, what is off-limits to involve in the game (if anything), what the repercussions might be, any secret agendas employed by the players, if it's even still played, and if so, where. Basically, whatever you feel you can tell about the mysterious lemon squeeze would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements  
Old 08-14-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubystreak, butchered by Mercury
...if it's even still played, and if so, where.
I am in a national sorority at a major university in the northeast. This is the first I've heard of a lemon squeeze, or any practice fitting that description.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:08 PM

Not a sorority sister, but found a reference:

East Tennessee
Quote:
In the Sister-to-Sister discussions, participants "talked about things on campus from home to campus to stress," said Bridgett Woods, chaplain of the sorority. "We get really in-depth in conversations."

Sister-to-Sister is nicknamed a "lemon squeeze because it lets everything out in the open," Woods said. "I am glad we have Sister-to-Sister on campus because sisters are getting to bond."
Old 08-14-2004, 03:23 PM

I went to school at a major Southern University, THE university of all things Greek. I was an active sister for all four years of college and I have never heard of such a thing. I graduated from undergrad seven years ago, for the record.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:17 PM

I'm getting the sense that the lemon squeeze is no longer a current practice, but may have been played in decades past. From what I've gleaned, each girl gets an item of honest critique from all of the other girls, and everyone gets a turn in the hot seat. We know that much. I guess my friend wants to know what type of things are critiqued, if the victim gets to respond, are there any post-squeeze repercussions.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:54 PM

An ex-sorority member checking in, never heard of it.

We called stuff like you're describing hazing, and it was strictly off-limits.