Male Sympathetic Menstrual Response?

So, I know that synchronous menstruation (when women living in close proximity begin to synchronize their menstrual cycles) exists. Also, that same article tells us that a male’s presence can affect a female’s cycle.

What I want to know is, can a female cause a hormonal change in a male due to being pre-menstrual or menstrual? The reason I ask is because I’ve experienced something like this that has, at different times, affected my emotional state(mood swings/oversensitivity) as well as my physical state(bloating). Are there any documented cases of this? Is it an actual physiological change or is it simply a psychological reaction? I don’t think it is psychological because I’ve felt my mood swing before I knew my spouse was on her cycle, but then again my subconcious may just know when it is happening after living together for so long.

Actually, we don’t really know this. It’s still being much debated. Maybe someone will come along with some even newer info…

A study was done on a similar subject about seven years back, but it tested for behavioural and hormonal responses, not physiological.

mrAru has a ‘sympathetic’ menstrual syndrom…when I get my period, he buys chocolate and slides it under the door into teh room so he will stay alive, and i will stay happy=)

Uh-uh. Nope. No Way.

PMS is my excuse.

You go get your own.

:wink:

I know this post is 14 years old but I had to reply.
I’ve been married for 13 years and over the years it has become clear that my menstruation has had corresponding sympathetic mood response from my husband.
I don’t have the door slamming or mad, wild mood swings demonstrated by many women so it’s not all that obvious that I’m having PMS.
However, as my husband has got to know me better, he’s found it easier to tell me his emotional state.
He comes home from work, flops on the sofa and I ask him what’s wrong.
He used to bottle feelings up, especially depressive ones for fear of worrying me.
One day, he told me he feels depressed for no reason that he can think of. I said that was okay, I was there if needed but wouldn’t push in.

Eventually I started to notice a pattern that he would tell me about this mood every time I was starting my period. I mentioned this one day and he ‘poo pooed’ the idea. We’re not into ‘psychic links’ and all that crap - but the mood and my PMS is weirdly synchromatic so we think I must give off hormonal signals that he picks up and puts him in a dark depressive mood.
Now we’re very used to it and it makes him feel a lot better that he has a reason for these moods.