Where Is The "Glomar Explorer" These days?

The Glomar Explorer was the $500 million ship, designed by the late Howard Hughes for the express purpose of plucking a sunken Russian submarine off the sea floor. I just saw a great documentary on this affair-fascinating! It included footage of the CIA spooks cutting up the remanants of the sub…and the bizarre burial at sea of the russian remains found inside. Is it true that we still don’t know who broke in to the offices of Hughes Aircraft in 1975, and spilled the beans on the whole affair?
Anyway, what is the ship used for now? have we raised any other russian subs?
And, how was the whole thing paid for? $500 million is a lot to hide in the CIA’s budget!

Hughes Glomar Explorer

The Glomar Explorer sat for several years – until the mid-90s – next to the “Mothball Fleet” in Suisun Bay in Northern California.

According to the Federation of American Scientists site:

If you go to Global Marine’s website, click on “Fleet Information”, then “Rig Locator” then “Drillships” (it’s an annoying animated site with frames, so I don’t think I can give you a reliable static URL), you’ll eventually find that one of their ships, currently located in the Gulf of Mexico until an estimated date of December 2005, is the Explorer (warning, PDF file). The dimensions given in the PDF file are 619 x 116 x 51 ft, which, allowing for rounding to the nearest foot, exactly match the Glomar Explorer’s dimensions given at the FAS site.

So, I’m reasonably confident that this is the same ship after retfitting, and that the answer to at least one of the OP’s questions is “drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico”.

This site mentions that the Glomar Explorer, aka “Hughes Mining Barge 1” or HMB-1, was

Some interesting pictures of the HMB-1 and the Sea Shadow are here. If the latter looks familiar to fans of James Bond movies, it’s because the stealth ship in Tomorrow Never Lies was patterned after it:

On preview, I see that astro beat me to it.

Also, to correct something I wrote in the above post:

The Hughes Mining Barge 1 or HMB-1 was not the same vessel as the Glomar Explorer, but was submerged underneath it in the CIA operation. The HMB-1 contained the claw that was designed to raise the Russian submarine, and was used to store the part of the submarine that was actually recovered.

The company I work for is actually providing services aboard the GSF Explorer. It’s currently drilling exploration wells for one of the major oil companies, in a deepwater area off the Louisiana coast. The vessel is well-known in the industry as the former “spy ship”.

I was a first class machinist at Atlantic marine and instaled all the gear for drilling.
I worked in the Moon pool where the ruski sub was retreaved.
Thay got all the sub and nukes bbelive me. I have a bunk card I found from 1972.
HOW BOUT THAT

What was it doing more recently? Legit stuff or not?

Where Is The “Glomar Explorer” These days?

Still a good question today, uh? Especially with the MH 370 plane down somewhere in the Indian Ocean … she could come in handy if and when they find her.

I heard she is leased to an oil company for oil exploration for one million dollars a year.