Yeah, But Can You Run XP Or OS X On It?

Home computer from the 1950s.

KFC, Spicy computer wings.

Futurists really suck.

That is so cool.

Now where is my jet pack & flying car!?!

I’ve seen people’s homes who are smaller than that “home computer”

Isn’t that a press release about Longhorn?

What the hell is that big metal wheel on it? Do you steer it like a sub? :confused:

What is that big wheel for? The thing taht looks like a stearing wheel

I thought “home computer” meant they were supposed to fit inside a home, not be the size of one.

Here’s your flying car.

That’s so you can play Pole Position!

Or drive a sub.

I dunno. I wouldn’t be surprised if the caption were tacked onto a picture of something else entirely. That console doesn’t look like anybody’s idea of anything that would be useful in the home. It looks more like submarine or powerplant simulator. You’d have to be a rather odd futurist to accurately predict the need for a TV monitor, but still see a need for all the weird dials and gauges.

Furthermore, the filename indicates that the “vision” was created in 1954. At the time, an early version of Fortran might have existed (http://www.isi.edu/~iko/pl/hw3_fortran.html), but it certainly wasn’t a household name.

It’s actually the first iPod. That’s the jog-shuttle wheel.

http://geekpress.com/2004_09_20_daily.html

I thought the caption was suspect.

I knew it was BS the moment I saw it. It’s missing the tape reader!

Badly photoshopped… Look at the paper coming into the bottom of the teletype vs the location of the tractors above. It should be roughly centered along the spacebar.

Not to mention they didn’t have the technology to make CRTs quite that large in the 50s.

In this case, perhaps you’re supposed to live inside it.

Oh, come on, it’s obviously a joke (hoax is too strong a word) - we don’t need a Bush-document-analysis.

Dude.

What a lame-ass hoax!

Give us aliens or Elvis or something, or another Britney wedding. Not a really big computer!

The flying car is still in development.

BTW: there’s at least one flying motorcycle in development. I’ve seen the prototype.