Old 09-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

How do they get boar bristles?

How exactly are the boar bristles used for hairbrushes harvested? Are they clipped from living boars or does the animal have to be killed first? Are the boars in question also used for food? Leather? Lucky pig-foot charms?
Advertisements  
Old 09-27-2004, 01:10 PM

I've always been curious about this, too...

[some time later, an assemblage of factoids emerges]

http://www.myvitanet.com/fucchiltoot.html

Quote:
Natural Bristle brushes actually come from a special breed of boar raised solely for its bristles. The bristles are carefully harvested using a process similar to the methods employed in shearing sheep. The boar are extremely well cared-for; their bristles are harvested repeatedly during their long lifetimes.
http://www.german-hairbrushes.com/pu...r_bristles.htm
Quote:
The Boar Bristles are the first cut of the Boar (highest quality), imported from China. (The Boars are raised on farms; China has the World Monopoly in Boar Bristles).
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00053.asp
Quote:
Most natural-bristle brushes carry the words "Chinese bristle" somewhere on the brush, which means the bristles come from Chinese boars. Natural bristles are either black or white, depending on the color of the animal they came from.
And finally, the most fascinating of all...

http://ia.ita.doc.gov/frn/0007frn/00-725-1.txt
Quote:
Issues and Decision Memo for the Administrative Review of
Natural Bristle Paint Brushes and Brush Heads from the
People's Republic of China; February 1, 1998 through
January 31, 1999

Summary: We have analyzed the comments and rebuttals of interested parties in the 1998-1999 administrative review of the antidumping duty order on natural
bristle paint brushes and brush heads (paintbrushes) from the People's
Republic of China (PRC)...
Huh. Tariff fights over paintbrushes. Who knew?

Cool stuff.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Not so fast

I need to give an educated answer to dispel the inaccuracies already written here. Boar bristles are obtained two ways: In Asia, you get twice as much money for holding a hog down and ripping out his hair in clumps while he screams. The hair is longer this way, and its barbaric. Otherwise, boars are raised to have their hair sheared off, but it's not done with love and roses like one poster replied. They are held down and sheared with sharp shears that, when done too fast and too brutally, will literally shave off their ears and faces. I have seen undercover PETA video of big brutes laughing and shearing off the faces of lambs and boars. Their faces come off in one piece, including the eyes, and the poor animal slowly dies of shock and blood loss. Don't ever kid yourself that anything involving MEN could ever be done with compassion and kid gloves. They don't care and they take out their aggression on animals. Plus, just like at YOUR job, their managers are screaming at them to GO FASTER!!!!! So animals are certainly hurt.

Ducks have all their feathers ripped out in bloody clumps to create down pillows, and the ones not lucky enough to die of shock and blood loss, will live again to have it done another day. Rabbits are stretched and tied by their legs and again, their Cashmere fur is ripped out in clumps.

Leather purses, wallets, shoes and belts? Genuine cowhide? Nope. China is the world's supplier of "Genuine cowhide" except they don't have a cattle industry. They skin 6 million dogs and cats a year. Alive. They also drop dogs into huge massive boiling tanks like lobsters and boil them alive. prior to this they keep them on "Crush Cages". Look it up....

China will do anything to anyone at anytime without so much as a guilt pang. They then falsely label their wares with tags that say "Genuine Cowhide" and it is bought by every country, even designer houses like Ralph Lauren and UGG boots and sold as Genuine Cowhide.

Some of you have already dismissed me, as soon as you heard the word PETA. PETA gets the job done with their undercover videos. If you don't like it, it's because you'd rather pretend theres not a problem.

For your information, I'm not a vegetarian. I eat meat because I believe we are all programmed to eat meat. But with a world full of billions of people, MEN end up abusing animals on factory farms. I instead pay out the arse for humanely certified meat, and I eat way less than I used to before I too was enlightened. And I don't buy ANY other animal products such as leather, boar bristles, down or Cashmere.

Feel free to do searches and look up anything I've said. it's all true. Eat meat if you must, but pay extra so that animals don't suffer. Unless you're from China, of course.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

As far as I'm concerned, PETA is a discredited source for information. If they posted a video telling me cows have four legs, I wouldn't believe it until I'd checked an actual cow.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Duck Goose View Post
Quote:
...China has the World Monopoly in Boar Bristles
That means they're radioactive, or loaded with cadmium, or both.

Last edited by Fear Itself; 08-16-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: crap, hoist by zombie. Curses!
Old 08-16-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymecindy View Post
Feel free to do searches and look up anything I've said.
Should you ever return feel free to do the searches yourself and link to your sources.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:04 PM

All shaving bristles come from China, I have seen people talk about Euro sourced bristles but no proof. Like most of China's industries, they are unregulated with little to no standards. Badgers, boars, hogs, horses, raccoon dogs, dogs and who knows what else are harvested for brushes. Harvesting, (there is no shaving), is not done humanely, but time is money.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Don't ever kid yourself that anything involving MEN could ever be done with compassion and kid gloves. They don't care and they take out their aggression on animals. .
Oh, of course. All MEN are sadistic monsters. Thanks for the information.

--Mark
Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 PM

Speaking from experience, I cannot imagine not killing a duck before plucking it. Hard enough to pluck those suckers when they're dead. Down is a byproduct of the butchering process.

The idea of bristle farming is charmingly idyllic. Of course these boars are gently trimmed by WOMEN, wearing pink gloves.

So long, I have to go tend to my dental floss ranch now.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 08-16-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
So long, I have to go tend to my dental floss ranch now.
Make sure you've got your zircon-encrusted tweezers with you...
Old 08-16-2015, 05:05 PM

Thanks for stopping by. I've wondered about pig bristles for the past eleven years.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:34 PM

Cindy,
I'm a man. Are you aware of any cruelty enhanced meat I can purchase?
Old 08-16-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Cindy,
I've been looking for foie gras made from geese that have been force fed meat from clubbed seals and baby whales caught in fishing nets.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Oh, of course. All MEN are sadistic monsters. Thanks for the information.
Nonsense—the overwhelming majority of us are kiddy diddlers. Get your facts straight. We’re fighting ig’nance here.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

If a boar's bristles were to be harvested in a manner consistent with sheep shearing, would they grow back? Even so, would it even be fiscally sound to keep feeding a boar to obtain periodic harvests of bristles? How fast do boar bristles grow? And how much do they cost on the open market?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanks Cindy for the clarification and truth. Compassion and empathy has no place in commercialization. If at all, it is again for commercial interest to tap the white spaces. Greed & Taste knows no compassion and how ironic is the word 'humane..'

Quote:
I need to give an educated answer to dispel the inaccuracies already written here. Boar bristles are obtained two ways: In Asia, you get twice as much money for holding a hog down and ripping out his hair in clumps while he screams. The hair is longer this way, and its barbaric. Otherwise, boars are raised to have their hair sheared off, but it's not done with love and roses like one poster replied. They are held down and sheared with sharp shears that, when done too fast and too brutally, will literally shave off their ears and faces. I have seen undercover PETA video of big brutes laughing and shearing off the faces of lambs and boars. Their faces come off in one piece, including the eyes, and the poor animal slowly dies of shock and blood loss. Don't ever kid yourself that anything involving MEN could ever be done with compassion and kid gloves. They don't care and they take out their aggression on animals. Plus, just like at YOUR job, their managers are screaming at them to GO FASTER!!!!! So animals are certainly hurt.

Ducks have all their feathers ripped out in bloody clumps to create down pillows, and the ones not lucky enough to die of shock and blood loss, will live again to have it done another day. Rabbits are stretched and tied by their legs and again, their Cashmere fur is ripped out in clumps.

Leather purses, wallets, shoes and belts? Genuine cowhide? Nope. China is the world's supplier of "Genuine cowhide" except they don't have a cattle industry. They skin 6 million dogs and cats a year. Alive. They also drop dogs into huge massive boiling tanks like lobsters and boil them alive. prior to this they keep them on "Crush Cages". Look it up....

China will do anything to anyone at anytime without so much as a guilt pang. They then falsely label their wares with tags that say "Genuine Cowhide" and it is bought by every country, even designer houses like Ralph Lauren and UGG boots and sold as Genuine Cowhide.

Some of you have already dismissed me, as soon as you heard the word PETA. PETA gets the job done with their undercover videos. If you don't like it, it's because you'd rather pretend theres not a problem.

For your information, I'm not a vegetarian. I eat meat because I believe we are all programmed to eat meat. But with a world full of billions of people, MEN end up abusing animals on factory farms. I instead pay out the arse for humanely certified meat, and I eat way less than I used to before I too was enlightened. And I don't buy ANY other animal products such as leather, boar bristles, down or Cashmere.

Feel free to do searches and look up anything I've said. it's all true. Eat meat if you must, but pay extra so that animals don't suffer. Unless you're from China, of course.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksunil View Post
If at all, it is again for commercial interest to tap the white spaces.
I have this on a bumper sticker.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:18 AM

Not the same, but I was interested to find out that fur felt hats are made with rabbit pelts. It's possible you could make them without skinning the rabbit first, but that's not how it is (or was historically) done. Keeping the skin on when they run it through the shaving machine is how they get just the right fur -- not the hard bristly long fur and not the short down fur, but only the fur in the middle, which is best for felting.

I'm pretty sure it's the same with beaver hats, too, but I didn't see that video.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Not that there will be any response, but...
Quote:
Quoth cindymecindy:

Don't ever kid yourself that anything involving MEN could ever be done with compassion and kid gloves.
You do know where kid gloves come from, don't you?
Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rabbits are stretched and tied by their legs and again, their Cashmere fur is ripped out in clumps.
Cashmere doesn't come from rabbits.

Last edited by kunilou; 10-09-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Eat meat if you must, but pay extra so that animals don't suffer. Unless you're from China, of course.
Two years later and I'm still annoyed that Chinese people don't have to pay extra for non-suffering meat.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I think it may be a little late to try MENsplaining anything to Cindy (although to be fair, it was probably always too late).
Old 10-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Leather purses, wallets, shoes and belts? Genuine cowhide? Nope. China is the world's supplier of "Genuine cowhide" except they don't have a cattle industry. They skin 6 million dogs and cats a year.
Cindy, first of all I respect your position. Mankind (let's drop 'men') harvests enough animals, no need for abject cruelty.

But are you claiming that small sized, thin, dog or cat hide is indistinguishable from cowhide?

And furthermore, China has a huge cattle industry. It has been expanding at over 6% a year for the past 40 years.

Dennis
Old 10-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Cindy,
If you can't find the meat you're looking for, perhaps you'd be interested in this cologne...
Old 10-10-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I've been looking for foie gras made from geese that have been force fed meat from clubbed seals and baby whales caught in fishing nets.
What a coincidence!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
That is what they would like you to think. Just like no one talks about how naugahyde is harvested.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:31 PM

And you won't believe how they harvest formaldehyde! Poor little formaldes! [Dr. Strangelove]bred and...slaughtered[/Dr.S]
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
And you won't believe how they harvest formaldehyde! Poor little formaldes! [Dr. Strangelove]bred and...slaughtered[/Dr.S]
My uncle had a ranch, he raised formaldes, naugas, and even jeckylands for their skins.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 AM

Ducks can be plucked relatively painlessly when just about to moult, you'll pay more for certified ethically harvest down, if it cheap you can guess how it was harvested.
Rabbits are skinned butchered for meat.
Dogs are routinely skin alive in Asia, my Asian friends from various countries think its quite amusing, the pelts end up as fur trimming in cheap clothing.
I'm no fan of PETA but there is a lot of truth in Cindy's post.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
No, it comes from goats. As does mohair, from the angora goat.

But amusingly enough, angora wool does come from tribblesrabbits