The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-09-2004, 12:43 PM

What does marijuana really do to your body?

I know someone* who is starting to smoke pot more heavily, and I'm getting pretty worried. I know I can scare them off it by telling them what it does to your body, so I need some facts on how pot messes up your body.

*It's not me by the way, I have severe asthma and smoking pot would just be stupid and probably deadly to me.

Come to the Dark Side.
We have cookies.
Advertisements  
Old 10-09-2004, 12:50 PM

from what i know, and im sure someone much more knowledgable will be around soon, the affects of smoke are similar to those of ciggarette smoke, except for three major differences.

1. smoke doesn't contain all the additives found in ciggarettes, as it comes right from the ground.*

2. You keep the smoke in your lungs for longer, worsening the affect

and most importantly,

3. You smoke considerably less than you do ciggarettes. Even a heavy smoker can't smoke more than three or four ciggarettes per day, while a ciggarette smoker can easily do two packs a day.

Of course, you also become a brain-baked loser who does nothing but sit around on his couch eating Cheetos all day then goes to school and makes jokes about because he thinks hes cool..

*This is assuming you know your dealer. Occasionally, a dealer will dip in formadelhyde or some more dangerous , at which point it becomes much, much more dangerous.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniepaz
from what i know, and im sure someone much more knowledgable will be around soon, the affects of smoke are similar to those of ciggarette smoke, except for three major differences.

1. smoke doesn't contain all the additives found in ciggarettes, as it comes right from the ground.*

2. You keep the smoke in your lungs for longer, worsening the affect

and most importantly,

3. You smoke considerably less than you do ciggarettes. Even a heavy smoker can't smoke more than three or four ciggarettes per day, while a ciggarette smoker can easily do two packs a day.

Of course, you also become a brain-baked loser who does nothing but sit around on his couch eating Cheetos all day then goes to school and makes jokes about because he thinks hes cool..

*This is assuming you know your dealer. Occasionally, a dealer will dip in formadelhyde or some more dangerous , at which point it becomes much, much more dangerous.
rriiiiiight so im on a school computer and they appear to have edited out every instance of the word % - " so when it looks like it should be there, it should.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:52 PM

wow this thing is good. ok its editing out marijjuana.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

From what I've been able to tell, there's little credible evidence that pot smoking is much worse for you pysiologically than heavy smoking (of tobacco cigarettes). The physical effects are similar: elevated risk of lung and throat cancer, emphysema and other lung-related disorders. There is no real evidence that it "kills brain cells" or causes any other pemanent mental incapacity. There is some evidence for a very rare condition called "marijuana psychosis", which may be associated with VERY heavy use. The most damaging effects are likely phsycological, rather than physical, since a dependancy can result which is similar to that of alcoholism, in the effect it can have on one finanancially and socially. I'll try to find some reputable sources, but it's a difficult thing to research, since there's so much exaggeration and hyperbole on both sides of the issue.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:19 PM

Since my only experiences with Cannabis sativa have confirmed that I have an extremely bizarre reaction to it -- irrational paranoia -- I think it's advisable to let someone else speak to the psychological effects. Please note that the following discussion relates to the physiological and psychological effects of smoking pot; it is not intended to encourage anyone to break laws against doing so, and should not be construed in such a way.

From what I understand, it's a vasodilator, not a particularly strong one, but one nonetheless. There are a few medical conditions for which this is bad news. On the other hand, it's a near-specific for the disease glaucoma, in which vision is lost or severely diminished by extremely high pressures in the "humors" of the eyeball. It is also a moderately strong analgesic -- and is often prescribed, in areas where medical marijuana is accepted, for patients with severe chronic pain, particularly terminal cancer patients, as being the analgesic of choice -- acetaminophen and/or the NSAIDs in less-than-toxic doses not being strong enough, and anything stronger than pot being effectively a knockout drug, pot will allow the patient to function moderately normally (if slightly stoned) by alleviating the debilitating effect of constant pain.

It functions psychologically as a euphoriant -- and this has both good and bad effects. For someone having a difficult time dealing with stress, moderate use may be beneficial where legal.

But the reverse side of that is also commonly true -- one can build up a psychological addiction, using it as a crutch to get through life, abandoning any sense of reponsibility or self-acceptance and escaping to where one can feel like he has no cares. This is perhaps the most dangerous, because it's the most insidious, psychological effect of pot smoking.

I know you didn't ask about psychological effects -- but that set of truisms needs to be stated, bluntly. That does not mean that every pot smoker has abandoned any sense of reality or any such BS -- it does mean that one needs to be alert and cautious regarding that insidious effect, because it does happen to some pot smokers.

And I reiterate that this is dealing with a "what if" world in which legalisms do not apply -- the statements above would be valid if it were completely legal and sold OTC everywhere, or if it were completely illegal in all possible uses.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:06 PM

Here's one cite .

Another (resonably balanced) review: here

I don't know that scare tactics would have worked on me when I was in high school and started smoking pot. I knew how many people smoked and knew that I had never heard of a single catastrophic outcome due to smoking. But I was working my way into medical school and knew to keep it in line and keep my rear in gear.

A better approach may be to express your concern about what the marijuana does to the person you know. I.e., does it make them lazy? Unproductive? Probably. You can't really be out conquering the world if you're at home snarfing down oreos.

In my mind pot is like alcohol: probably harmless in small quantities. But neither one is a good idea before work, or all weekend long, or all the time...
Old 10-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Letís not forget that, like it or not, this is an illegal substance. If your friend is busted, a drug conviction will follow them around forever. This can severely impact their ability to get any kind of good paying job. I work in a security sensitive area at my job, and if I ever got busted, I would lose everything. All in all, I feel that the risk is not worth it and a rather good reason to resist the temptation to try it.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevo
I don't know that scare tactics would have worked on me when I was in high school and started smoking pot. I knew how many people smoked and knew that I had never heard of a single catastrophic outcome due to smoking. But I was working my way into medical school and knew to keep it in line and keep my rear in gear.
Meh, I've scared them out of drinking soda as often as they used to because of what I told them.

Come to the Dark Side.
We have cookies.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Marijuana is a crappy drug for glaucoma. It does a mild to moderate job of reducing intra-ocular pressure, and must be dosed every 3 to 4 hours around the clock to reduce it enough to really prevent loss of vision from serious glaucoma. Prescription eye drops are much more effective and longer lasting.

Having said that, I think marijuana can be one beneficial and useful tool in dealing with malignant pain syndromes; i.e. the ones arising from severe progressive diseases such as metastatic cancers or certain wasting diseases like AIDS and varied neurologic problems. I don't believe it has a legitimate role in treating chronic low back pain, headaches, or fibromyalgia.

Just my two cents.

QtM, MD
Old 10-10-2004, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Letís not forget that, like it or not, this is an illegal substance. If your friend is busted, a drug conviction will follow them around forever.
From what I understand, marijuana possession is a mild misdemeanor.

The exception seems to be Las Vegas.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:22 AM

Apparently (and I'm not a doctor, so I'd be happy to be corrected), delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active drug in marijuana, binds with cannabanoid receptors in the brain, which increases production of a brain chemical called anandamide. It also affects levels of norepinephrine and dopamine.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniepaz
Let's see: I don't sit around all day; I don't eat Cheetos; I don't go to school/work and make jokes; I don't think I'm cool. You're pretty much completely wrong about me. You're pretty much completely wrong about my weed-smoking friends. I wonder how many other people you're completely wrong about...
Don't like it? Don't do it. Easy stuff.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:00 AM

most marijuana smokers consume around a quarter ounce of the plant in a week. that's 7 grams.

most tobacco smokers consume 2-3 times that amount, per day. one pack of cigarettes is about 20 grams. so, the risk of lung cancer or emphysema as a result of a marijuana consumption is slight. nothing like tobacco.

nicotine, by itself, is a known carcinogen. the way THC and other cannabinoids influence the progression of cancer is not as clear-cut. we do know that they are exceptionally non-toxic, especially when compared to tobacco, alcohol, caffeine and pretty much every other drug out there, illegal or not. i think it would take something like 1/8 your own body weight of pure THC to kill you. decent weed is maybe 5% THC - 50mg per 1 gram. 160,000 times that would be approaching the lethal dose for the average person.

so, the truth is that, physically, it is not at all frightening.

how about..

it mildly impairs coordination and short-term memory.
with alcohol, it severely impairs coordination.
it's a waste of time.
it's more expensive than gold.
it can take the place of priority and responsbility.
roughly 50% of employers test for its metabolites.
it is not gone from your system for up to 6 weeks.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetypercent
most marijuana smokers consume around a quarter ounce of the plant in a week. that's 7 grams.

most tobacco smokers consume 2-3 times that amount, per day. one pack of cigarettes is about 20 grams. so, the risk of lung cancer or emphysema as a result of a marijuana consumption is slight. nothing like tobacco.
This is a false comparison. Cigarettes are normally filtered, which removes much of the tar. Marijuana is generally smoked without filters, with the aim to get as much of the smoke into the lungs as possible, for as long as possible. Additionally, marijuana contains MUCH more plant resins than tobacco does. Add to this the fact that many (if not most) pot smokers also tend to smoke cigarettes, and you've got an overall higher risk of lung damage than those who only smoke cigarettes. But don't take my word for it. Read the results of this study at UCLA:
Quote:
The UCLA scientists also found that the tar in marijuana smoke contains higher concentrations of substances called hydrocarbons than tar from tobacco smoke does. These hydrocarbons are a key factor in promoting human lung cancer.

Because marijuana smoke deposits four times as much tar in the respiratory tract as a comparable amount of tobacco, the exposure to carcinogens is increased, the researchers wrote.

Bolding mine.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp
Since my only experiences with Cannabis sativa have confirmed that I have an extremely bizarre reaction to it -- irrational paranoia -- ...
Not entirely bizarre. Paranoia or panic attacks happen in enough people for it to be noted in the literature. In some individuals, it's invariable or extreme enough to make pot a consistently unpleasant experience. In a larger number, it happens occasionally.

One effect that has been mentioned is appetite stimulation. I don't believe there are many substances which have this effect - it's fairly unusual (not unique - megestrol acetate seems to be a prescription drug prescribed as an appetite stimulant). From my own decades-old experience, I always noticed this effect some time AFTER the more immediate effects of marijuana usage for some reason. I'd get stoned, it would wear off, and THEN I'd get the so-called "munchies". I once ate an entire normal sized apple pie under those conditions, and was still rummaging around looking for something to eat.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan
Marijuana is a crappy drug for glaucoma. It does a mild to moderate job of reducing intra-ocular pressure, and must be dosed every 3 to 4 hours around the clock to reduce it enough to really prevent loss of vision from serious glaucoma. Prescription eye drops are much more effective and longer lasting.

Having said that, I think marijuana can be one beneficial and useful tool in dealing with malignant pain syndromes; i.e. the ones arising from severe progressive diseases such as metastatic cancers or certain wasting diseases like AIDS and varied neurologic problems. I don't believe it has a legitimate role in treating chronic low back pain, headaches, or fibromyalgia.

Just my two cents.

QtM, MD
Thanks for the correction. My post was intended to weed out the facts, positive and negative, from the wide assortment of propaganda pro and con -- obviously I bought into one element of "pro" that wasn't true.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvez
Let's see: I don't sit around all day; I don't eat Cheetos; I don't go to school/work and make jokes; I don't think I'm cool. You're pretty much completely wrong about me. You're pretty much completely wrong about my weed-smoking friends. I wonder how many other people you're completely wrong about...
Don't like it? Don't do it. Easy stuff.
Ah, that part was intended as a sarcastic reference to those who actually think that.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.D.
This is a false comparison. Cigarettes are normally filtered, which removes much of the tar. Marijuana is generally smoked without filters, with the aim to get as much of the smoke into the lungs as possible, for as long as possible. Additionally, marijuana contains MUCH more plant resins than tobacco does. Add to this the fact that many (if not most) pot smokers also tend to smoke cigarettes, and you've got an overall higher risk of lung damage than those who only smoke cigarettes. But don't take my word for it. Read the results of this study at UCLA ..
not necessarily a correlation. how did they determine that? what was the THC content of the marijuana they used? what portions of the plant were smoked? there are too many variables.

i don't believe it.

if it is truly four times worse than tobacco, a person would still have to inhale a stupid amount of marijuana. 5 ounces per month, 5-10 joints per day(all to theirself!), and at least $125 a week.. for 30 years.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:42 PM

I believe that most of the physical affects of smoking tobacco/marijuana can be avoided by using a vaporizer. Hearsay, but it makes sense.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

How does marijuana smoking compare to tobacco smoking?

Basically, we don't know. We havent' studied it long enough. There are a number of reasons for that.

One, people who smoke a lot aren't always forthcoming about it, and don't get put into many quality studies.

Two, those that do smoke a lot haven't been followed for 30 or more years, and compared to their peers over the same length of time.

Three, many who do smoke it regularly also smoke tobacco, so it's hard to sort one effect from the other.

Four, noone is funding a lot of research into the longterm lung effects of smoking marijuana. It's not sexy, like the ciggy studies.

So we have to extrapolate. We compare the smoke of marijuana to the smoke of tobacco. And overall we conclude, that the smoke from marijuana contains at least as much tar and carbon monoxide and other nasties as tobacco, if not a whole lot more. We also see from other studies that marijuana smokers tend to inhale deeper and hold the smoke in longer than tobacco smokers. Meanwhile tobacco smokers smoke a whole lot more of the time than marijuana smokers.

So we give an edumacated guess: We're pretty darn sure it can't be very good for you, but we can't give you much in the way of numbers or statistics.

I have no qualms in telling my patients that the smoking is damaging their lungs in ways we can't quantify, and they'd all be better off not smoking it.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego
I believe that most of the physical affects of smoking tobacco/marijuana can be avoided by using a vaporizer. Hearsay, but it makes sense.
Use of water pipes with tobacco significantly increases the nicotine and carbon monoxide exposures. It is no cure-all for the problems associated with inhaling burning, corrosive gases.

http://www.vcu.edu/uns/Releases/2004/april/042604.html
Old 10-10-2004, 10:12 PM

re: What does pot really do to your body?

This is from Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World
Quote:
In the mid-1960's, an Israeli neuroscientist named Raphael Mechoulam identified the chemical compound responsible for the psychoactive effects of [pot]: delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, a molecule with a structure unlike any found in nature before or since.
In 1988 Allyn Howlett, a researcher at the St. Louis University Medical School, discovered a specific receptor for THC in the brain -- a type of nerve cell that THC binds to like a molecular key in a lock, causing it to activate. Receptor cells form part of a neuronal network; the brain systems involving dopamine, serotonin, and the endorphins are three such networks. When a cell in a network is activated by its chemical key, it responds by doing a varity of things: sending a chemical signal to other cells, switching a gene on or off, or becoming more or less active. Depending on the network involved, this process can trigger cognative, behavioral, or physical changes. Howlett's discovery pointed to the existence of a new network in the brain.
The cannabinoid receptors Howlett found showed up in vast numbers all over the brain (as well as in the immune and reproductive systems), though they were clusterd in regions responsible for the mental processes that [pot] is known to alter: the cerebral cortex (the locus of higher-order thought), the hippocampus (memory), the basal ganglia (movement), and the amygdala (emotions). Curiously, the one neurological address where cannabinoid receptors didn't show up was in the brain stem, which regulates involuntary functions such as circulation and resp[iration. This might explain the remarkably low toxicity of cannibis and the fact that no one is known to have ever died from an overdose.
On the assumption that the human brain would not have evolved a special structure for the express purpose of getting itself high on [pot], researchers hypothesized that the brain must manufacture its own THC-like chemical for some as-yet-unknown purpose. ... In 1992... Raphael Mechoulam found it: the brain's own endogenous cannabinoid. He named it "anandamide," from the Sanskrit word for "inner bliss."
Following on their work, neuroscientists are now busy trying to figure out exactly how the cannabinoid network works -- and why we should have one in the first place.
When I asked Howlett what the purpose of such a network might be, she began her answer by listing some of the various direct and indirect effects of cannibinoids: pain relief, loss of short-term memory, sedation, and mild cognative impairment.
"All of which is exactly what Adam and Eve would want after being thrown out of Eden. You couldn't design a more perfect drug for getting Eve through the pain of childbirth or helping Adam endure a live of physical toil." She noted that cannabinoid receptors had been found in the uterus, of all places... Howlett speculated that the human cannabinoid system evolved to help us endure (and selectively forget) the routine slings and arrows of life "so that we can get up in th emorning and do it all over again." It's the brain's own drug for coping with the human condition.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:26 AM

Smoking it carries the usual risks involved with inhaling burning substances. Tell him to bake with it rather (that's bake like with an oven... first). mmmm, cannabutter...
Old 10-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Use of water pipes with tobacco significantly increases the nicotine and carbon monoxide exposures. It is no cure-all for the problems associated with inhaling burning, corrosive gases.

I'm no expert, but I think that vaporizers heat the marijuana to the point where the oils evaporate, but not to the point where there's combustion. So, it's not exactly smoking it.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:52 AM

A related question - Is the "six weeks" figure for the amount of time detectable residues of marijuana remain in your body true? Also, is it an urban myth or do marijuana residues remain for longer than usual in the testicles?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:08 AM

Quote:

A vaporizer, not a water bong. You're still burning the marijuana with a water bong, you don't burn the marijuana with a vaporizer.

Whether or not the vaporizer produces no carcinogens is a question I'm not positive of, but I do know that by not burning it to extract the THC, you're definitely not producing the carcinogens you would if you burned it.

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/vaporizers.html
Old 10-11-2004, 01:20 PM

Great link Cerri.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch
A related question - Is the "six weeks" figure for the amount of time detectable residues of marijuana remain in your body true? Also, is it an urban myth or do marijuana residues remain for longer than usual in the testicles?
Case history (me):
When my company began random testing I stopped smoking pot for over a year. Then one weekend I smoked a few joints with a friend. Seven weeks later I got tested. I didn't even worry about it, but sure as hell I tested positive. Four weeks after that (total of over three months) I was still testing positive, but at below policy levels.
I know nothibg about the balls part of your question.
Peace,
mangeorge
Old 10-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabob
Not entirely bizarre. Paranoia or panic attacks happen in enough people for it to be noted in the literature.

That would be me. If I smoke pot, I get panick attacks. By the way, it came out of the blues. I used to be a regular (as in every day) cannabis smoker without any problem and suddenly one day, I got my first panic attack. I was smoking a particularily strong cannabis in this instance, so maybe it's part of the reason, but even a mild one would now have the same consequences.

Also, a friend of mine who was a very very heavy cannabis smoker became psychotic (paranoid). But perhaps this could have been caused or aggravated by his intensive use of cannabis, and perhaps it's totally unrelated. How could we know?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:20 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

FTR, my uncle (who I rarely see) is dying from lung cancer. He never smoked cigs but has smoked pot for over 30 years now and continues to toke during treatment (not a blood relative, thank god). I do believe he'll have part or all of his lung removed.

Don't know the frequency he smoked - he has 3 kids and one of those "normal family lives" so I don't know when he really had the time or privacy to light up. But I'm sure he has been smoking quite regularly since he went a bit batty and moved to LA by himself to become a bodybuilder/actor....

I will also say both his parents have passed away in the last 5 years from cancer. But who's to say if that's why he has lung cancer? His 5 older and younger siblings don't smoke weed and they don't have it.

Anyway, there's one story about getting cancer from smoking pot (presumeably)
Old 10-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Some interesting facts;
Quote:
Smoking and lung cancer
It is estimated that smoking is responsible for 30% of all cancer deaths and is related to more than 85% of lung cancer cases.
So 70% of cancer deaths and 15% of lung cancer are not related to smoking.
My point is that although smoking is idiotic, having lung cancer certainly doesn't prove one to be a smoker.
BTW; I've read that while pot smokers are likely to light up cigarettes, they're also very likely to let it burn up without actually smoking it. I used to do that. A lot.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerri
A vaporizer, not a water bong.
Ah. Gotcha.

Just don't assume it's safe. We lack credible data about the long-term effects of these devices.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

good cite site

Ok - I'd recommend this excellent website that can no doubt educate you as to the positives and negatives of the substance. Dr. Grinspoon is a Harvard Medical School faculty member, so this is not just an advocacy site, but rather an educational one. I think the OP should be able to find what s/he is looking for. And, if not, it's still a grand place to visit and learn. xo C.
<www.marijuana-uses.com>
Old 10-11-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I'm sure some do, but most? Smoking a quarter a week would mean spending $300 a month on weed, and spending every waking moment stoned.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I don't think this is exactly what the OP was asking for (nor are many of the posts above, it would seem), but a factoid I've heard is that marijuana is safer than aspirin: people have died of aspirin overdoses, but there is no known lethal dose of marijuana.

So, flamingbananas, it would seem the best course might not be trying to scare your friend, but dealing with him rationally, friend-to-friend. Ask why he's using so much pot, and whether it might have some negative effects on his life (since we haven't conclusively found many physical problems it's likely to cause). If you can't point any out to him, or if he doesn't think they're problems, then MYOB.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense
So, flamingbananas, it would seem the best course might not be trying to scare your friend, but dealing with him rationally, friend-to-friend. Ask why he's using so much pot, and whether it might have some negative effects on his life (since we haven't conclusively found many physical problems it's likely to cause). If you can't point any out to him, or if he doesn't think they're problems, then MYOB.
I've tried this. He says he is "just experimenting" but this has been going on longer and heavier then I would think expirementing would be going on for. He does it here, which not only makes me mad and points out his stupidity, but it makes my asthma bad. I've pointed this out to him and he said that he would stop smoking it here, but when I got home the other day I smelled it. I know I can scare him off it if I can show him one fact that really freaks him out.

Come to the Dark Side.
We have cookies.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingbananas
I know I can scare him off it if I can show him one fact that really freaks him out.
I don't think you're going to find one. Marijuana isn't really a scary drug.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Good lord, Man! (Woman?) Maybe in Jamaica, but not 'round here. When I smoked my heaviest - stoned every night (though not during the day), a quarter would last me for three months! The heaviest smoker I know personally goes through about an eighth a week, and he is so sh*tfaced he can't hold a job. If "most marijuana smokers" are buying a quarter a week, they're smoking up a lot of their friends, or smoking more than they need, 'cause you just don't need to consume that much on your own!

(This actually makes the rest of your points even more salient, as the quantity of marijuana smoked by the average user is even lower than your estimate, I'm sure.)

The only physical effect of marijuana that you might be able to scare your friend with only works if s/he's under 22. And no, I don't have a cite for it, so I can't be 100% sure that it's true, but it was told to me by a health teacher that I really trusted. She was the only adult who actually gave us "The Straight Dope" on the list of drugs the school made her teach us about in high school. (The school wanted her to say, "Drugs are bad, don't do them." but she actually gave us pros and cons on each one.)

According to her, marijuana will cause the body to coat the neurons (nerve cells) with a thin layer of lipids (fat.) This lipid layer is needed in small bits to help electricity jump through nerves faster, but when too much is built up (like through smoking lots of weed) it actually acts as an insulation, slowing down the electrical charges, and therefore slowing down reaction speed, thinking, etc. Plus, since the neurons in your brain grow until you're around 22, and they can't grow through the excess lipids, you can actually stunt your brain growth on a neurological level if you smoke lots of pot before your brain in done growing. Now, when you stop smoking pot, this lipid layer will gradually be reabsorbed into the body. No harm, no foul - except if you've been smoking during adolescence, when the neurons should have been growing. They simply won't grow later to catch up. Net effect: you're dumber than you otherwise would have been.

Like I said, I have no cite for this theory. I don't know if it's horribly outdated or been proven wrong or what. But it did stop me from toking up until I was 22!

(I have heard that "they" are doing research into using marijuana to rebuild the mylein sheathing (that lipid layer around each neuron) in ALS patients, so it does make sense to me.)