Ask the Libertarian Objectivist Christian

I suppose it was inevitable.

Okay, what do you stand for?

What color is air? :stuck_out_tongue:

What is the air speed velocity… Oh, never mind!

:wally

Esprix

What about economy of scale, dang it???

Do you actually tell people that you are a libertarian objectivist christian? Or do you just say libertarian. Or just say christian. Cause LOC is a pretty big mouthfull. It’s like if I told people I was a neo-sorelian with leninist tendencies. It gets to be a bit much.

Also, what is your opinion of ann rand as both a person and a thinker. How about alan greenspan.
Thanks.

OK, I know that you don’t believe that it’s right to ever force someone to help someone else out, as you are a libertarian, and I’ve read quite a few of your posts with great interest. I’m guessing that as a Christian, you do help others out, and believe that it is the correct thing to do. What I’m wondering is whether you believe that you are doing so to please your God or for the pure selfish (in the objectivist sense of the word) joy you get from it.

This promises to be an interesting thread, one that I’ll follow, being interested interested in objectivism and a libertarian. Personally, I’m an atheist, and my personal philosophy is somewhat of a mix between objectivism and Taoism. I read a post of yours talking about your belief that Jesus is the ultimate libertarian. I think that would be relevant to include in this thread. Someday, I plan to start a “The Tao of Libertarianism” thread.

Adam Yax

Sometimes for hours.

Phil

Please be more specific.

JMullaney

Try here.

OldScratch and WaterJ2 will follow:

no, no, I told you! We’re an anarchosydicalist commune!

OldScratch

Actually, I do. As a very high Melancholy, I find it necessary to be as specific and accurate as possible with the most efficient expression. For me, the three come together to make one. It is a gestalt.

I suspect that, as a person, she was dishonest. Or at least deluded. And that was even before reading about all the controversy over her. I suspected that when I saw that, at the end of Atlas Shrugged, she left Eddie behind. And despite the protestations to the contrary by her psycho-phants, that was a really shitty thing to do.

I suspect that her personal dishonesty was the cause of her futile efforts, as a thinker, to introduce to her philosophy (which I have cleaned up and adopted) unnecessary entities like atheism and proof that A is A. The latter is axiomatic and the former is irrelevant.

Not sure what to think about him either way. He seems to talk the talk of a fiscal conservative, yet why has he not worked toward elimination of the Federal Reserve? But then again, maybe he is, and I just don’t know about it.

JMullaney

Oh, well, why didn’t you say so? In that case I can state categorically.

WaterJ2 will follow

Whats a libertarian?
Can they be objective?
are they for liberating what?
why is chocolate brown?

As an Objectivist, I strongly protest your self-characterization as an Objectivist. If you have merely taken what you like out of the philosophy and abandoned the fundamentals, you have no cause in calling yourself an Objectivist. Perhaps you could come up with a different name for your philosophy, but please stop saying that you are an Objectivist, because you are not. Thank You.

WaterJ2

Well, “ever” is awfully broad, as is “help someone else out”. For example, I would advocate forcing A, who has abridged the rights of B, to restore B’s rights, thereby, in a way, I suppose, helping out B.

Sometimes it is the correct thing to do, and sometimes it isn’t. I try (failing miserably) to love, and when I love, I am doing the “correct thing”. Good deeds come solely from good hearts.

Actually, that is not how I interpret selfishness (in the objectivist sense of the word). I interpret it as focusing on my self-interest. As it happens, when I do, I find that redirecting my focus to God is even more in my self-interest. He is the owner of the heavens and the earth. He gave me my life and therefore my rights. He breathed His Spirit into my heart and gave me faith in Him. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist, knowing these things, to apprehend how best to order his priorities.

I want to please our God because (1) He is the Proprietor of all that exists [Libertarianism] (2) It is in my self-interest to please Him [Objectivism] and (3) We love One Another [Christianity].

Feel free to participate or lurk as you please.

I won’t hold your religion against you.

That is an amazing

Actually, the consumate libertarian. He never initiated force or fraud, but rose to defend His house when trespassers and vandals despoiled it.

but the Libertarianism part is, well, like I already said about the In any case, I look forward to it.

Libertarian
You weren’t always a libertarian. What was the biggest philosophical obstacle you had to overcome in your “conversion”? Do you consider it to have been a conversion, or more a matter of recognizing what you had already believed but hadn’t identified as such? Really, that question could be asked about all three of your descriptive terms.

I’ve noticed lately you referring to yourself and another poster or two by personality types based on the “four temperaments” or “humours.” What’s up with that?

waterj2
I would also be interested in your view of the Tao of Libertarianism. I see a libertarian political philosophy pretty clearly stated in chapters 57 to 59 of the Daodejing; would you agree?

Vanilla

A person who opposes the initiation of force or fraud.

Only if they adopt God’s frame of reference.

People.

Not all chocolate is brown.

ChiefWahoo

While your protest is duly noted, you will understand that your being an Objectivist confers upon you no mystical authority over me.

What I have done is the opposite. I have retained the fundamentals while discarding the ornamentals.

My philosophy is Libertarian Objectivist Christianity. I regret that you are unhappy with the name.

Gilligan

For Libertarianism, I had to realize that neither God nor nature had conferred upon any man (including me) any authority over the lives and property of other men, and that God or nature had conferred authority upon all men (including me) over their own.

For Christianity, I had to freely and willingly lay down my own life. It seemed a crazy notion to me, until I saw that Jesus said, “Before Abraham was born, I am.”

For Objectivism, I “converted” when I realized that my own self-interest coincides with God’s, that He (and He alone) is objectively real, and that rationalizing away my own experience was dishonest. If We are One — and Jesus says that We are — then I need to align my own priorities with His.

I am given to understand (though I have been unable to verify this) that the four temperaments were conceived by Hippocrates. They are the Sanguine, the Choleric, the Phlegmatic, and the Melancholoy.

I tracked down a site that, more or less, can evaluate your temperament (they wrongly call it “personality”).

Hello Libertarian,

vanila asked: “Whats a libertarian?”
You answered: "A person who opposes the initiation of force or fraud. "

I oppose the initiation of force or fraud, and yet I am not a libertarian.

Do you believe that your answer was helpful for vanila?
What is your purpose in starting this thread?

I’ve got a different kind of question for you. Feel free to ignore it if it is too personal or if you think I’m trolling (I’m not).

You have a well-defined philosophy of how you view the world, which philosophy includes avoiding expedience.

But, broadly speaking, how do you live your life? Do you eschew banks because of high coercion on them and you by the Feds, or do you resign yourself to “what is” until the “what can be” becomes? Do you vote if there isn’t a Libertarian (or libertarian) candidate, or would voting for the Democrat or Republican least far from your views simply make you a perpetuator of a system you see as wrong? The myriad laws of our country that are clearly coercive and do not even purport to protect against coercion; do you feel bound by them? Do you obey them even if you don’t feel personally bound? Do you ever say, “You know what? Today my rights have the advantage, and I’m going to cut that a**hole off and beat him to the parking space!”

OK, the last bit was a little bit facetious, but I hope you can see what I’m getting at.

quote:

They come from the Hippocratic tradition. Tough to ascertain whether Hippocrates himself wrote them (often students took their master's name in the Greek tradition).

from 2Sense:

quote:

~~~vanila asked: "Whats a libertarian?"
You answered: "A person who opposes the initiation of force or fraud. "
I oppose the initiation of force or fraud, and yet I am not a libertarian.
Do you believe that your answer was helpful for vanila?

From what (little) I know of Libertarian, I do think Libertarian summed up the philosophy in the $.50 version. While 2Sense may oppose force or fraud (like many of us do) I get the impression that this theme is THE CENTRAL THEME of their philosophy, whereas it might not necessarily be for the rest of us. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would agree with 2Sense that a more detailed definition might be helpful.

To your knowledge, has the United States has ever existed in a Libertarian context? If so, in what era and what were the consequences?

Do you believe that the bible is the word of God?

Gee I thought I was the only one…

Though I’m not an objectivist, I am a libertarian Catholic, which, as you can imagine, carries with it a certain amount of cognitive dissonance. I was libertarian before I was Catholic, so there have been adjustments. Especially in the area of libertarian free market solutions to social problems, (e.g. poverty). vs. Catholic Social Teachings (e.g., preferential option for the poor).

Many libs (especially Randian Objectivists) see poverty as a non-problem, merely the natural consequences of the inequality of human intellect/ambition/breeding. Its hard to square that with the desire to follow Jesus.

Have you had similar conflicts? Which were you first, libertarian or Christian.