The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 11-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Share your most vivid dreams

I don't have too many dreams that I remember, but this one was so detailed, I wanted to share it and invite others to recount their own most vivid dreams.

In the dream, there was a fungal infection called a mycote (three syllables, rhymes with rickety). If you got it, a thick layer of soil grew behind your ears, and if left unchecked, leaves would grow from it.

In the dream world, this was a very old and well-known phenomenon--there was even a stupid children's song about it--I don't remember the first line of it, but it went:

blah blah blah blah
and the spore's on the wing
a mycote grows
and a leaf starts to spring.

(yes, I remember the melody too, but I'll spare you!)

The coolest thing is, in writing this post, I was thinking about how to spell it--mickety? micate?--until it hit me that myco- is a prefix relating to fungi. Gotta love that subconscious creativity!
Advertisements  
Old 11-10-2004, 04:05 PM

I've had dreams of monsters, vampires, car crashes etc., but only one dream really scared me.

I had stopped at a convenience store with my wife and kids. I went inside to buy some stuff but I kept forgetting what I was supposed to buy. Suddenly, I find myself driving alone in my car. I drove home to find my wife frantic. She told me that I had run out of the store and didn't stop. The neighbor said I ran up, jumped in my car and took off.

I couldn't remember any of that. It scared me that I might be losing my mind.

Then I woke up and had that "whew it was just a dream" feeling.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:10 PM

I had this one just last night. I was at school during gym, and we were playing baseball. I was standing in the outfield, when suddenly, I tasted blood. My tounge felt around for places where I might have a cut or something, and it found that one of my teeth fell out. I could really feel that gummy feeling like after a tooth falls out. Like that smooth, soft feel. In fact, I woke up this morning thinking I really lost a tooth. I still feel like that, and all day I've been checking that tooth, just to be sure.

Come to the Dark Side.
We have cookies.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:11 PM

Last night I had a dream that a friend of mine was trying to beat me up. He may have been attempting to kill me, but he was so very friendly about it. I'm running away through my grandmother's house (which is odd, because I don't live with my grandmother or anything), throwing furniture and knickknacks at him in a vain attempt to slow him down. He spent the time chatting with me about his wife (who was my college roommate) and his kids and life in general, and was quite agreeable with the idea of me calling 911 for help. It was very creepy because he was just so cheery about the whole thing, but he was still out to harm me.

And then there's my pregnancy dreams. Whenever I have a dream where I'm pregnant, it's always incredibly realistic. I've discussed these dreams with women who actually have been pregnant, I'm told that it was not only realistic, but pretty accurate. I try not to think on it for too long, because it begs the question of why I'm dreaming about being pregnant.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:21 PM

I swear on the life of my child that this is 100% fact.

When I was 14 or so, I had a dream that I was a soldier. I was wading with my platoon through a swampy bog, chest-deep, and holding a rifle above my head. It was almost sunset.

From around the bend, a riverboat came roaring into view. On the deck were several Vietnamese soldiers, firing wildly at us. We all began to return fire, but were basically only as mobile as the water would allow.

I ended up running out of ammunition. Just as I was about to slap a new clip into my rifle...

I looked up to see an enemy soldier point a pistol at my head, and the muzzle flash as it fired. I could feel the bullet impact my skull, and I fell backward into the murky water.

As I started to sink, all I could remember thinking was, Will I drown or bleed to death first? The water was rushing all around me and my heart was pounding so hard.

And then I woke up. It was 2:00am, and I didn't sleep again for the rest of the night. It is still, to this day, the most vividly terrible dream I've ever experienced. It's enough to make me wonder about past lives.

I live in fear that I'll have it again some day.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:26 PM

Two nights ago:
I was walking along a boardwalk on a beach with a lot of old storefronts along it.
Somehow I end up at my store and notice that the steel mesh that covers the windows and doors had fallen on the floor inside.
I walk closer and now all the framework around the windows and door are mangled on the floor and there is no glass.
It's not broken, or anything; there just isn't any.

I walk into the bathroom and come back out and now I'm in some sort of office building. That's when the maniac with the automatic rifle showed up.
He was pissed about something (probably late fees ) and was shooting everything up. Some guy was following him around, just kind of chit-chatting with him and occasionally telling him this might not be the best course of action.

I'm trying to hide from him. I'm in a room with a big car...something like a Pontiac...well, think "hoopty". Anyway, Mr. Maniac is walking around the car and I’m trying to keep it between us so he doesn't see me. He starts firing on the car and I duck down lower to avoid being hit. He keeps walking around the car, so I keep moving. Then for some reason it seems to me a good idea to open the back car door and hide in there.

Somehow I’m now in a police station and it feels like that scene from the first Terminator movie; Mr. Maniac is stalking the hallways, still shooting people up. I’m hiding in one of the offices with an officer and the Chief of Police (it was really him in my dream, I recognized him from some anti-drug commercials).
People are screaming to call for backup, and now there’s a phone on the table. I grab it and turn to the lady officer. “Who do I call?” I’m screaming at her. She continues to calmly eat her sandwich. I then turned to the Chief, who is peeking out through the blinds watching for the maniac, and ask him. “Who do I call? You are the police! Do I call the sheriff?” He turns to me and says, “Run!”

I think that’s when I woke up for the next two days.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:07 PM

My next door neighbor bought a dog and I went to see it but the dog kept scratching and biting me. The dog was on a leash and tied up in the bedroom so I just went where I thought I was out of range of the leash just a few feet away but the dog still could get me. I went in the living room and the dog was still able to get me all the while attached to the leash. I finally went outside and the dog was coming to get me again but my neighbor was holding it back and told me to get in my house and lock the door and I did. I go in my room and the dog is waiting for me with the leash still on its neck and I’m assuming still anchored in the bedroom next door and he is biting me. My brother comes in the room and says the dog should be trained so he tells the dog to “sit and stay” and it does. I walk outside and the dog tries to get me again I say “Sit and Stay” and it does. The dog does not bother me again because every time I saw it coming I’d say “Sit and Stay”.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 PM

I'm not feeling too hot so I'll probably come back and post a better example, but here's a recent one:

I was, for some reason, on a yacht (ha!) belonging to (ha!) my ex-husband. The yacht, for reasons unbeknownst to me, was being towed by a bigger ship. I was the only person on the yacht, and I thought to myself, "I hope I don't get bounced around because it's so empty" Sure enough, the bigger ship suddenly accelerates supremely fast, yanking the yacht up out of the water. I was tumbling through the air, looking at the inside of the bulkhead that I was about to go slamming into at a very extreme rate of speed. I remember very vividly thinking "If I hit that, I'm going to die, so I'd better wake up RIGHT NO-"

And I woke up, breathing so hard you'd have thought I had run a marathon.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

A couple of nights ago I dreamed that my sister was dead and we were trying to adjust to living without her. It was horrible - I woke up with a feeling of the heaviest sadness and I couldn't shake the blues all day even after talking to my sister on the phone. She wasn't in any sort of trouble or anything, so I'm not sure why my subconscious decided to kill her off...

Is it sweeps week?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:05 PM

Wow. I had a really vivid dream a few nights ago, it still creeps me. I dreamt I was wandering outside in my nightgown to help my mum get the groceries, and I was standing there with a goofy, stupid smile as a stranger sat in the front seat of our car, turned it around (almost hit me), and sped off, crashing through our neighbour's fence. I ran back inside, yelling to Mom that someone stole our car, then we all turned around as the stranger came inside with a knife and threatened me.

Still makes me shiver.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastain86
I swear on the life of my child that this is 100% fact.

When I was 14 or so, I had a dream that I was a soldier. I was wading with my platoon through a swampy bog, chest-deep, and holding a rifle above my head. It was almost sunset.

From around the bend, a riverboat came roaring into view. On the deck were several Vietnamese soldiers, firing wildly at us. We all began to return fire, but were basically only as mobile as the water would allow.

I ended up running out of ammunition. Just as I was about to slap a new clip into my rifle...

I looked up to see an enemy soldier point a pistol at my head, and the muzzle flash as it fired. I could feel the bullet impact my skull, and I fell backward into the murky water.

As I started to sink, all I could remember thinking was, Will I drown or bleed to death first? The water was rushing all around me and my heart was pounding so hard.

And then I woke up. It was 2:00am, and I didn't sleep again for the rest of the night. It is still, to this day, the most vividly terrible dream I've ever experienced. It's enough to make me wonder about past lives.

I live in fear that I'll have it again some day.

Holy shit.

I had a very similar dream when I was 14.

I was in the army, in either Iraq or WWII Europe, and me and my fellow soldiers were in a mess hall about 100 feet long. The enemy was shooting us with missles, and every so often one would hit part of the roof, and kill everyone within about 10 feet.

I was pacing around the place, which was packed with soldiers and corpses. I remember thinking "If I'm never in the same place, the chance that I'll get hit with a missle and die is lessened".

During the dream, I was extremely scared for my life. I remember almost panicking, and almost wishing that I'd get hit to get it over with.

It was the scariest dream I've ever had.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:39 AM

I had the most disturbing dream of my life a long time ago, and it still sticks in my head like the day I dreamt it. I was shopping with my mom, and someone shot me in the head. It wasn't a bad wound, but the chances of it being fatal were about 99%, due to dreamland rules. Friends came to my hospital bed and showered me with gifts. I sat there, knowing that I wasn't going to survive and they were just trying to make my last moments on earth as happy as they could. And I hated them for it. Late that night, I went into cardiac arrest and an incompetent doctor killed me. At the wake, my brother's 6th grade teacher who has never met me told my dad how nice a child I was while I stood nearby and screamed at her to shut up.

I woke up and furiously checked my head in the bathroom mirror. Three days of sleep eluded me.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:02 PM

(I am soooo going to get made fun of for this one.)

When I was about 8, I had a dream that I was walking through a field near my house, when a voice beckoned me into the woods. The voice was God, and He had a mission for me. I walked into the woods and found a clearing. In the middle of the clearing was a small stone, and a beam of light from the sky shone down upon it. On the stone was a small, silver ring. God told me that the ring would make me into a superhero called Silverman, and I would have mental control over anything made of metal. I would also be able to turn my skin into a type of invincible metal (think Collosus of the X-Men). While I'm thinking about how cool this is, God warns me that nobody can ever find out about this. If they do, they must join me in my quest to rid the world of evil or else my soul would be erradicated (why God was such a prick in my dream I'll never know).

The dream then fast forwards a few weeks. I've been fighting the good fight, and was appearing in the newspapers. I'm in the bathroom getting ready to go to sleep, when my two older sisters walk in (IRL I have two younger brothers, so I don't know what this was all about). Long story short, they find out about my secret identity and agree to fight along side me. Two beams of light burst through the window and two more rings appear on the counter, one green and one blue. The green one gave one of my sisters power to communicate with plants and animals, the blue one gave my other sister power to control the weather.

Fast forward a bit more. There's a final apocalyptic showdown between the three of us and all the bad guys in the entire world all at once. We kill them all, except for the Big Boss. He shot a bullet at me, and it just happened to hit me in the right eye. Since my eyes were the only part that didn't change into the invincible metal, it killed me. There was a big flash of light, and I woke up.

Two days later, I got pink eye in my right eye.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:08 PM

Last night I dreamed that a ghost dog kept trying to go to sleep on my face. I woke up enough to move around and the 'ghost dog' left. I went back to sleep and the dog climbed back up on my bed and tried to go to sleep near my face, and at the same time a person put an arm around me to go to sleep too, since I am single this really scared me too, so I moved around again.I kept feeling like I had to move to keep the ghosts from snuggling. I was half awake and kept shifting my legs. and rolling from side to side. I still couldn't keep them off, so I turned on the light and slept with it on the rest of the night.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:00 PM

Last night I had a weird one - well several weird ones but I'll tell the memorable one.

I dreamed I was in my sister's room at our old house, which was at the end of a long hallway. The other end of the hallway ended with stairs that led up to the front of the house. I see on one wall a small hole, and about 30 spiders come crawling out of it. I move closer to investigate, and they disappear. Then I look at the other wall, and hundreds of large red spiders start crawling out of a different hole. So I grab the nearest toxic stuff I can find - hairspray or cleaner of some kind, and spray into the hole, thinking that even though I can't kill them all, I can at least keep more from coming out. BAD IDEA. They start swarming, like bees do, on top of each other, toward me. Forming weird 3-D shapes and getting bigger. So I go out of the room, close the door, and then open it again to see if they are still there. They sure are, but now they've developed crab-like claws and they are BIG - each is a good inch or two across and they have body armor like crabs now. And they are PISSED. So I run to show my dad, and he freaks out, tells me to RUN! I watch as he tries to close the door but doesn't quite and then we are running down the hall and up the stairs and I'm scared to death because being chased is one of my worst fears and I start saying to myself "WAKE UP JEN WAKE UP WAKE UP JUST FALL FORWARD AND WAKE UP" and all of the sudden I run into my junior high math class and take a seat.

Whew. They almost got me.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:14 PM

This is far and away the scariest dream I've ever had. I rarely have scary dreams (although actually last night I had a moderately scary dream involving Stephen King and some weird Alzheimer's-esque condition. But I digress).

This was about 6 or 7 years ago.

I dreamed that I was in charge of babysitting my baby cousin Gray, which is logical in that I'm good with little kids. Anyhow, I wanted to keep Gray out of the way, so I put him into the oven, figuring, hey, it's a little enclosed room with a window, it will keep him out of trouble. Of course, when his parents get back, the oven has gotten turned on, and Gray has been killed.

That's pretty bad, obviously, but what made this dream so incredibly disturbing was that I was actively thinking, in the dream, "I wish this was a dream, but it's not...", along with "I'm going to spend the rest of my life knowing that I killed a baby in a horrible way" and other such grim thoughts. This was all made worse by the fact that my parents were incredibly unalarmed by the entire situation, which is just freaky. I mean, if your son just barbecued your great-nephew, you should be alarmed! I was SO GLAD to wake up and realize that it was, after all, just a dream.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:57 PM

I've had so many, but this one takes the cakes. I was wandering around the school that i went to in singapore, when I really need to piss. So i go into a house with the door unlocked. I do my business, and then I hear someone. It's the family tht lives in the house! I think: 'how am I gonna get outta here without being noticed?' Right then, I realize that I'm dreaming! And because it was my dream I could do whatever I wated to. So I turned invisable, and walk through the walls. Then I grew wings, and growing wings hurt . I actually felt the wings growing form my back. When I flew, I could fell the air rushing around me. Then my wings began to burn, I started to fall, and I woke up. (wierd)
Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 PM

I typically sleep without dreaming, but when I DO have a dream, it's ALWAYS insane. I had this one when I was in my first year of college:

I was a police detective, and the actor Jim Belushi was my partner. We had been called to the university (which I actually attended while awake) on a homicide investigation.

So... it's the middle of the night, and the large parking lot between the dorms and the engineering buildings was PACKED with police cars--HUNDREDS of them, jammed in every which way in a tangle of black and white. Every one had its lights going, so the entire area was a kaleidescope of whirling blue lights.

Jim and I are informed that the engineering lab building was an abandoned factory, which had been home to a group of Satanic cultists who had been kidnapping and murdering children, and just recently committed mass suicide. Jim and I decided (for some reason) to spend the night there in search of clues... to what, I'm not sure.

All the cops and cars go away. Jim and I patrol the abandoned factory. It turns out that I am psychic, and I keep getting visions... one involves a scary-looking industrial machine covered with blood, with its black-and-yellow safety sign reading "FEED IN UNSUSPECTING CHILDREN FROM THIS END ONLY"

The ghosts of the Satanic cultists activate the factory machinery, and keep trying to kill us. Jim gets killed, then re-animated by ghosts. My gun has no effect on his zombie, and I must beat him to "death" with my bare hands. Finally, the factory produces a massive Gatling-type gun and opens up... gradually shooting the building itself to pieces as it hunts for me. As the factory falls in around me in pieces, I wake up.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:58 PM

I rarely have vivid dreams, but a few weeks ago this one was as if it really happened.

I was at a party and my friend says we're going over to Joan Collins house, do you want to join us? I'm so excited, The Joan Collins, her house. Oh my god, Now I can die happy. He then says, calm down she won't be there, we're just going over to hang out. I say I don't care. It's her house, and I'll be in it.

So we're at the house and all of the sudden she appears. And I start to tell her every great thing she has ever done, and she is one of the great stars of all time, and on and on.

Then all of the sudden we are in bed togther and she starts to initiate some action. And I say hey Joan, I'm gay. Couldn't you tell by the way I was worshiping you. And she says, (in that great voice of hers) now that you mention it, you did have that diva worship thing going, but I thought I'd try it anyway. I say thanks for the compliment, I'm flattered. Then we just laughed, and I woke up.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:40 AM

Just a few weeks ago, I had this horrendous nightmare. In it, my sister had died a year ago, when I was a senior in high school, when she was learning how to fly a glider. My relationship with my parents had gone downhill but we still tolerated each other. I hadn't talked to them much since leaving for college, and when I went home for winter break, things went well on the surface. Then I finally asked them about how my sister died - what went wrong. They wouldn't answer me and told me not to bring it up.

Then, on January 2nd I was picking up confetti off the street in front of our house. My parents walked up to me and said that it was my fault my sister had died. They knew I was bisexual, and said that they didn't want to see me ever again. I said fine, and got on a plane back out to Santa Fe. The dorms didn't reopen for two weeks and I had no where to stay. I finally looked up one of my classmates who lives off-campus and called him to see if I could stay with him until the dorms opened. He asked twice who I was, then burst out laughing, told me I was a murderer, and hung up on me.

At that point, I woke up in a cold sweat. A ton of things in that dream were very, very clearly my subconscious bitching me out about real-life events and/or how I dealt with them. It was so real, that morning I called both my parents, and my sister, just to say hi - something we generally don't do.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm336
Last night I dreamed that a ghost dog kept trying to go to sleep on my face.
Another cure is to keep cats. They totally desensitize you to strage sounds and motions in the dark. I was at a friend's house once when something brushed against my foot. It took me a full 30 seconds to remember that this friend doesn't own cats and maybe I should investigate that strange touch further. My friend had been sweeping and accidently swiped me with the broom.

So, at least you won't notice when the ghosts try to snuggle you.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:35 AM

The dream starts with me in a house, talking to a woman about some remodeling work she wants to have done, and a storm kicks up outside. Tremendous wind and lightning, with strokes splitting trees-perhaps a tornado is upon us. We take refuge.

Next, I'm outside the house (dunno what became of the family) and I'm wearing my turnout gear. I'm walking around, looking at burned patches of ground, tree fragments and so forth, when I find the lightning machine. It looks like a controller you'd use for a R/C car or boat, with a little joystick, but it has a display, as if you were looking down from overhead, with crosshairs in the middle. By moving the joystick, I can see relative position to me, and when I press the red button, KABOOM-a lightning bolt lands right where the target indicated.

There is a farm in the distance, and as I walk closer, I can hear laughter. Rounding the corner of a building, there is a softball diamond in view with a game in progress. Two teams of guys are playing, but they are all butt-naked. The only other modification to softball rules is that when the hitter hits, he doesn't run. He hops three times towards first base, and then makes a wiggly nose movement like a bunny rabbit. Then three more hops, nose, etc. Other than throwing the ball to one another, defensive players also had to do the 3x hop, nose action.

I call it my bunny-ball dream.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithcats

Two teams of guys are playing, but they are all butt-naked. The only other modification to softball rules is that when the hitter hits, he doesn't run. He hops three times towards first base, and then makes a wiggly nose movement like a bunny rabbit. Then three more hops, nose, etc. Other than throwing the ball to one another, defensive players also had to do the 3x hop, nose action.
I'd have woken myself up laughing. Too friggin funny.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:48 AM

I was on a heavy dose of Oxycodone after knee surgery and I had some whacked-out naked lunch-type shit.

In one, I was in a basement, and I had a piece of spider web with a spider on the end. I was whacking spiders with that spider to kill them.

Then, a spider came down the stairs, and I squished it with my foot.

Then, a bigger one immediately came down the stairs, and I squished it.

A few more kept coming, and eventually there was a "spider" with the body & size of a chihuahua with 8 spider legs that I didn't want to squish because it was a dog. I woke up soon after that.

The thing is, I "knew" in the dream that all the spiders were totally conscious of the fact that I was killing them, but I was just really really scared.

While I was taking those meds, I had many other dreams of creatures trying to get me. I stopped taking it after that spider dream, though.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

I have horrible wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-can't-get back to sleep insomnia, and I often dream that I'm on my floormat trying to fall sleep. Whenever I do this, I try to become aware that it is a dream, and make the dream do something impossible. It's call lucid dreaming.

In a recent episode, I was on my floor mat, the phone rang and it was my supervisor's mother, who at the time was in a coma and dying. Then a co-worker who died five years ago came into the room and started talking about the great Austrailan vacation he just took.

The Butch, who I went with for 10 years, came in. I said "I thought you died" and he proceeded to kick me in the kidneys. And then I woke up.

Or I thought I did. I was back on the floor mat, awake, but thinking "I'll keep my eyes close. If I open my eyes and see the clock, I'll never get back to sleep." I think that was still part of the dream.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 AM

I don't get vivid dreams very often. In fact, 60% of the time, I just black out at some point during the night, and wake up in the morning, having seen nothing.

Oddly, my dreams often center on some sort of mystery to be solved or a task to be completed.

I did have a dream once, when I was little, wherein my father and I were in some sort of downhill race, in his truck. He was asleep, or unconscious, and I was navigating the vechile down all these hairpin turns, towards the finish line.

Maybe I caught an episode of Speed Racer at some point before that.
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:28 AM

I've been rather feverish these last few days, so perhaps that is why the dream I had the night before last was so vivid.
I dreamed that I was part of a criminal gang that had stolen several million dollars. We were meeting after the fact to divide up the loot.
One, or more, of my fellow thieves decided to screw me out of my share of the loot. They informed me that there was no share for me, that it was in fact "already spent."
I drew a suppressed pistol from inside my jacket and killed one outright. Another, I shot through the mouth and left in shock on the ground. The third I shot to pieces bit by bit as I interrogated him about the location of the money. By the time I had the information I wanted from him, I had blown apart his wrists, elbows, ankles, knees, and (finally) skull. Just to "make a statement" I returned to the guy I had shot through the mouth. I cooked his brain whole, stuffed it with frogs legs, and sent it to his father. In the dream, this seemed to have deep symbolism.
The scene shifted to the inside of a large truck where I was riding with a family friend (recently deceased in real life) and his twin sons. We were discussing the whereabouts of the money and I promised them each a full share when we recovered it. One of his sons then opened a mini-bar on the dash and offered me a drink, assuring me that it was all "top shelf stuff." For some reason, that caused me to make a mental note to kill him. We turned off the street and pulled into a warehouse, where I presume the money was located and...that is whn I woke up.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Last night I had a dream that I had a stack of banknotes, mostly hundred-thousand-dollar bills, but with some fifties and twenties, and I was trying to figure out how to deposit them in my bank account unsuspiciously.

Somehow I had convinced the bank to give them to me, but I knew that if I just went to deposit them in the regular manner, the bank would review all its activities with regards to me, decide something was wrong, and call the cops.

The $100,000 banknotes were similar in design to the rest of the new series, but were silver-grey in colour, quite beautiful. In the dream they had the hologram stripe and everything.

The weird thing is, Canada has never had a banknote of this size... even the thousand-dollar notes is largely withdrawn.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:36 AM

That is odd that you mentioned that I should keep cats, I dream of cats and mice sleeping on me too sometimes. I can't keep any pets, I am allergic to cats and dogs.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:00 PM

Well, normally I don't remember my dreams.

For which I thank Og.

This is a description of a dream that I had recently - and was for me, relatively tame.

I've been killed in my dreams so many times, now it's boring. What scares me is when people I care about are killed, or the 'fate worse than death' dreams. An example of that would be the time the aliens kidnapped me, fed me into their matter transmitter, and kept sending me across the galaxy, with each transmission introducing new errors into the transmission... it ended when I was part robot part tentacled thing... Of course the pain of being disintergrated was always intense, too.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:39 PM

I had my most vivid dream ever several years ago, when I was a freshman in college. In it, my mom had died. It was totally realistic. My dad had to come down to get me at college and the two of us drove home in silence, both of us red-eyed. The sense of loss was overwhelming. We went to the funeral the next day, while we were gone, the dog somehow got out and was hit by a car.

Most of my dreams are totally wacky, but this was 100% realistic, and completely vivid. So much so that I was awake for a good five minutes, still consumed with deep sadness over the loss of my mom, before I realized that it was a dream.

I called my mom immediately. She was, of course, perfectly fine.