The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 11-04-2004, 01:49 PM

Holy cow, this hurts! What happened to me?

I was working away, happily, when my boss called me into her office. I went in and sat down, and as I started to get up, I had this godawful pain under my right shoulder blade! It hurts so much it makes me want to whimper or cry, and it's making me breathless. I can't go home yet, because the lady from the printer is coming to pick up a job, but damnit, as soon as she leaves I'm going home!

I'm only 29! I've never had any back problems in my life. Ow ow owow.
Advertisements  
Old 11-04-2004, 01:59 PM

I get the same symptom from time to time, but it never lasts for more than 5 minutes. My mom (a nurse, not an MD) says that when you sit up straight for a long time, lactic acid (a fatigue chemical) can build up in your muscles. When you relax or move, that acid can drain into other muscles (specifically those around your lungs), making them hurt when you try to move.

I get it worst when I am on a car trip or practice my violin for too long.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:57 PM

Elenia,

If what you are having is a cramp, see if you can find some orange juice or milk.

I have horrible cramps and when I have to calcium/magnesium to take, i reach for orange juice, sometimes Gatorade, milk, or even bananas.

Works for me. Hope your pain resolves soon!
Old 11-04-2004, 03:23 PM

I once popped a rib out of place, and I have no idea how I did it. All of a sudden I had a lot of pain whenever I took a breath. One trip to the chiropractor and it was like a miracle. And no I don't believe in going to the chiropractor for everything.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:26 PM

If you sneezed or twisted wrong or too hard, it's possible that you pulled an intercostal (inbetween the ribs) muscle.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:30 PM

If it hurts more when you cough or less when you hold the arm on the affected side over your head (kind of resting it on the top of your head) it might be indicative of a disc problem. This is not meant to be diagnostic but just to give you an idea of what to pursue if the pain persists.

Go home early and aim a nice hot-as-you-can-handle-it shower at the offending spot.

Sorry you hurt
Old 11-04-2004, 03:54 PM

Not to be too alarmist, but this sounds a lot like the pain I used to experience when my lung repeatedly collapsed a few years ago. The hole in the lung doesn't hurt; the pain (which is severe) comes from the lung itself separating from the lining of the chest wall. Plus the shortness of breath fits right in. Your age is also in the expected range; pneumothoraces (the technical term for perforated and collapsed lungs) typically hit people between the ages of 16 and 30, especially those who are thinner than average. Don't know if that last applies to you, but the symptoms are certainly consistent.

An x-ray would not be out of order, if this doesn't get better fairly soon. If it's a tension pneumothorax, you may be at greater risk. Go to the doctor.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:53 PM

I almost hate to say this but it could be gas. I've felt it before when it felt like someone was sticking an icepick under my shoulderblade.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:52 AM

Nothing to add to everyone else's suggestions, but I would just like to hear from you if you're OK!

Hang in there. See a doctor pronto. Let us all know when you're feeling better!!
Old 11-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Cervaise has the best advice. Spontaneous rupture of the lung is most common in younger women, manifests with chest wall pain which worsens with breathing or movement, and causes shortness of breath.

There are many other things this might be, some of them more likely, most of them not life-threatening. But a collapsed lung can be deadly. So IMHO your symtoms merit evaluation by a medical professional.

QtM, MD
Old 11-06-2004, 10:55 AM

No idea here, just dropped in to wish you well!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:43 AM

Sorry you're all owie, Elenia28.
I know those sudden pains can be...well, a pain.
I was hoping to find an answer here as to why it happens, but somehow I don't think a punctured lung is making my foot hurt.

Feel better soon!
Old 11-09-2004, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan
Cervaise has the best advice.
How often does that happen?
Quote:
But a collapsed lung can be deadly.
I've had four, and I'm still around.

So Elenia, how you doin'? In the medical sense, not in the nudge-nudge sense.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
So Elenia, how you doin'? In the medical sense, not in the nudge-nudge sense.
Hello? You there? You okay?
Old 11-11-2004, 02:19 PM

I'm sorry, everyone. I thought this thread dropped out of sight, and here it is.

I think it was a Charley Horse, like the ones you get in your legs. I went home and took some Advil, and immediately started feeling better. The next day it was reduced to the pain of a sore muscle. And a few days later, it was gone.

It was frightening how bad it was the first day. It almost had me in tears. But I had been lifting some heavy stuff, so I guess I should have expected it.

Thank you all for caring. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmless
I was hoping to find an answer here as to why it happens, but somehow I don't think a punctured lung is making my foot hurt.

Feel better soon!
Oh man harmless, you made me laugh out loud and I don't do that very often at work.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenia28
Oh man harmless, you made me laugh out loud and I don't do that very often at work.
Then my work here is done.

: swirls cape, makes dramatic exit :

Man, I need theme music.

Seriously, glad you're feeling better and nothing seems to be punctured!

I just get these sharp pains on the top of my right foot that hurt so bad, I can't walk on it for about 5-15 minutes, and then it goes away.
I guess that kind of stuff just happens.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmless
Then my work here is done.

: swirls cape, makes dramatic exit :

Man, I need theme music.

Seriously, glad you're feeling better and nothing seems to be punctured!

I just get these sharp pains on the top of my right foot that hurt so bad, I can't walk on it for about 5-15 minutes, and then it goes away.
I guess that kind of stuff just happens.
Most likely you'll trip over your cape, judging by our conversation that we had when I fell down the stairs. Did you see the Incredibles? If you didn't, DON'T read this spoiler:

SPOILER:
The fashion designer is dead-set against capes because they are dangerous. There is an absolutely hilarious montage about all kinds of heroes dying because of their capes! "No capes! I don't do capes!"

And about the foot: If it hurts that bad, and that often, you should get an x-ray. You could have chipped a bone at some point and might still have a splinter of bone floating around. Or it could just be an air bubble, but not that often.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenia28
And about the foot: If it hurts that bad, and that often, you should get an x-ray. You could have chipped a bone at some point and might still have a splinter of bone floating around. Or it could just be an air bubble, but not that often.
Haven't seen the Incredibles yet. Looks cute though.

X-ray?
That takes doctors and money.
I vote it's gas.

It does seem to make a little lump above where the pain is.
: le shrug :
I can live with it...it's just annoying.
Probably comes from never wanting to wear proper shoes.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:01 AM

Ok, I know it takes doctors and money. Tell you what, try the following checklist.

Does it hurt all the time?
Does it hurt when you press on it?
Does it hurt at the end of the day?
Do painkillers make it go away?
Is there any sign of bleeding at the area?

There's a good chance it might be a nasty smack to the foot...the human body is pretty resilient and there's no organs in your foot that you need to be worried about, such as a lung.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:21 AM

Does it hurt all the time? Nopers, once in a while
Does it hurt when you press on it? When it hurts, yes.
Does it hurt at the end of the day? Random times
Do painkillers make it go away? Goes away by itself, usually no more than 1/2 hour.
Is there any sign of bleeding at the area? Nope

It just feels like something is pinched up or something and then it's gone.

Now as for my hand:
Does it hurt all the time? Yes.
Does it hurt when you press on it? Yes.
Does it hurt at the end of the day? All the time.
Do painkillers make it go away? For a little while
Is there any sign of bleeding at the area? Lots.
Is there a lesson to be learned? Yes; don't punch your truck no matter how mad you are at it.

Any new boo-boos for you?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:45 PM

Ha-ha, you punched your truck? Yeah, that would do it. Donchano, you have to be nice to your conveyance no matter what!

Nothing for me, although speaking of conveyances, my car did stall out this morning...in the middle of the road at an angle (I was taking a turn!) The Indian people who lived below me helped me, so now I guess I have to be nice to them.

(I'm Indian, I have a right to say this. )
Old 11-12-2004, 01:50 PM

Indian Indian, or Indian?

Part Seminole, here.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:35 PM

East Indian...although I'm American, right? But yeah, I was born in India. Emigrated when I was four.