The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-23-2004, 04:02 AM
BANNED

Why did John Candy die so young?

I was reading up on IMDB, and I saw that John Candy was only 44 when he died of a heart attack. I know that celebrities have access to personal physicians and extraordinary health care, so it seems that he died at a very young age. I know he was overweight - but look at John Goodman! That guy's looked like a walking heart attack for years, and he's already ten yeras older than Candy was when he died.
Advertisements  
Old 11-23-2004, 04:11 AM

I don't know if Candy had more of a genetic presdisposition for heart disease, but I seem to remember that he smoked, for one thing. I don't know of any history with drugs, though I wouldn't doubt it (I became cynical about it all when John Belushi died, and Joan Rivers wouldn't).

About all I remember from the actual event was that he was in Mexico(?), filimg Wagon's East, which falls FAR short as a tribute to his abilities. Try Uncle Buck, which was always my favorite of his films.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude
About all I remember from the actual event was that he was in Mexico(?), filimg Wagon's East, which falls FAR short as a tribute to his abilities.
Yes, far better we should use his second-to-last film (Canadian Bacon) as a guide.

His imdb bio says Candy's father died of a heart attack at age 35, which certainly suggests a genetic predisposition.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Right Hand of the Master

There's not always a "why" to these things. Shit happens.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven
There's not always a "why" to these things. Shit happens.
Note to future Admins: This is called common sense. Use it.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Basically, he died of too much Candy.

Big guy. Unhealthy life style. They're not joking when they say "eat less and exercise more."
Old 11-23-2004, 11:27 AM

don't care why - still makes me sad. what a waste.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 AM

From an article written at the time of his death, his father died of a heart attack at 35 (as mentioned above), his grandfather at 42, and several of his uncles and other male relatives in or before their forties of heart related problems. (As somebody who is overweight and a smoker I still have to say he was a fool to add smoking and unhealthy diet to his already considerable risks.)

Something not commonly known about Candy: he was a financial genius of sorts who was an excellent steward of his considerable income. While he never had a Tom Cruise/Jim Carrey like payday, he left an estate worth well over $25 million due to investments in Canadian real estate, computer stocks, etc. He was also supposedly one of the nicest guys in Hollywood, which just extends the pity of his early death.

Fat actors who evidently had no genetic disposition to severe heart disease: Brando (who was rarely under 300 lbs for most of the last 20 years, had an incredibly stressful personal life, smoked and used recreational drugs and still lived to be 80), tea merchant turned Casablanca star Sydney Greenstreet who made it to 75 long before modern diabetes treatment would have extended his life, and this fellow who looked like a walking coronary as General Burkhalter on Hogan's Heroes 35 years ago and is still alive and acting (and a relative newlywed) at 97.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 AM

I remember seeing him on a talk show in the mid-80s. He'd just lost a lot of weight, said he was feeling great, and IIRC said he was going to stay trimmed down even if it meant losing a lot of money not getting fat guy parts. By the time he died, if looked like he'd gained back every pound, and then some. A very common occurrence, of course, but it still makes me sad.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

As a fitting sidenote -- one of the best John Candy movies, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, is being released on DVD this week. "Those aren't pillows!!"
Old 11-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm just guessing, but I figure the chances are good that Candy had a significant lipid disorder, especially given his family history. I've seen plenty of people who are not obese, eat relatively healthily, exercise regularly, and still have LDL cholesterol levels up at and over 200, with HDL levels under 25. It's a condition that primes people for coronary artery disease at a young age, and it's just the way their body deals with cholesterol.

Now take that picture, add a bad diet and obesity and smoking to it, and the risks double or triple.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan
I'm just guessing, but I figure the chances are good that Candy had a significant lipid disorder, especially given his family history. I've seen plenty of people who are not obese, eat relatively healthily, exercise regularly, and still have LDL cholesterol levels up at and over 200, with HDL levels under 25. It's a condition that primes people for coronary artery disease at a young age, and it's just the way their body deals with cholesterol.

Now take that picture, add a bad diet and obesity and smoking to it, and the risks double or triple.
makes note to keep taking zocor
Old 11-23-2004, 03:07 PM
BANNED

According to Joe Queenan, big fat guys who have been in movies with Dan Ackroyd have a habit of this earthly grossness quitting too soon: John Belushi, John Candy, Chris Farley - he's like the Typhoid Mary of bad comedy. If I were John Goodman, I'd be seeing the quack.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan
I've seen plenty of people who are not obese, eat relatively healthily, exercise regularly, and still have LDL cholesterol levels up at and over 200, with HDL levels under 25. It's a condition that primes people for coronary artery disease at a young age, and it's just the way their body deals with cholesterol.
My friends father died of a massive coronary at the age of 56 -- he outlived all the other men in his family. No matter how healthy the lifestyle, the men in his family tree all tended to die of heart disease in their 40s, so he had pretty much put himself under a doctor's watchful eye in his 30s. Non-smoker, ate very carefully, active lifestyle and doctor-designed fitness program. It probably gave him an extra ten years, but 56 is still pretty young.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:20 PM

Nothing really to add, but I just looked Candy up on IMDB.

My God, has it really been over 10 years since he died?

Old 11-23-2004, 04:51 PM

I have nothing to add as to the "why", but I would say that one of his best all time performances is in the (very hard to find) made for cable show... The Last Polka. It's a parody of The Last Waltz featuring the fabulous Shmenge Brothers.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer
As a fitting sidenote -- one of the best John Candy movies, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, is being released on DVD this week. "Those aren't pillows!!"
How 'bout them bears?