Lexmark: I will never connect any of your peripherals to any hardware I own again.

You asshats. You totally incompetent software engineers. It is called a “peripheral” because it is not necessary to the central functioning of my computer, and I happen to fucking like it that way.

Let me elaborate: this weekend I was at my future mother-in-law’s house typing lists of people to invite to the wedding. Congratulate or sympathize with me as you see fit – some other time, though. I typed up the list on my laptop because her machine is old, runs Win98, and occasionally I outpace the computer’s ability to handle text inputs. So I had to plug my laptop into her printer to give her a hard copy.

The Lexmark 4200 series connects to a PC through a standard USB interface. Since Windows XP is so good at recognizing plug-and-play hardware, I figured this would be a snap. No, it’s never that simple. Apparently I needed to insert the printer’s driver CD. No problem, I was the one who installed the printer on her Win98 machine, so I knew where it was. However, here is the first portion of my rant:

I. Pitting The First: Lexmark’s Printers Do Not Conform To a Standard USB Plug-and-play Interface.

So I install the drivers. It took about five minutes, which gave me time to wonder what additional “helpful” software those motherfuckers thought I’d want in order to Manage My Lexmark Printing Experience. I knew, just knew, that there would be additional cruft, and resigned myself to it. I figured, “I’ll just install, print, and uninstall.” I clicked Print, and a colorful display popped up in the lower right hand corner showing me her toner levels, and a bar graph with the printing progress. A cheery voice from my fucking speakers chirped “Printing Has Started!!” LOOK, you asshats. It’s a printer. Printers print. If they were meant to talk, they’d be called “Printer-Talkers” or come with built-in speakers. If it was meant to be an artificially intelligent machine that shits documents, it would be called a “Docutron 9000 Home Paper Wizard” or some shit. And I would never let it touch my machine in the first place. The “drivers” are meant to DRIVE the printer. I should not – and in fact, I do not – require an additional, Lexmark-branded software package to manage my printing; that’s what my FUCKING OPERATING SYSTEM is for. And the fact that my processing cycles and hard drive are being used to play a WAV file every time I print pisses me off more than I can possibly state here, so I will simply enumerate:

II. Pitting The Second: Lexmark’s Printer Requires the installation of a “driver” that is actually a wholly unnecessary software based Print Manager Solution. It plays WAV files which unnecessarily thrash my hard drive and slow down my productivity, while simultaneously pissing me off.

This would be enough to form a totally rational, completely justified pitting on its own. I was so angry at Lexmark I almost put my fist through the printer. I took the CD out of my machine immediately. I uninstalled the driver. “Are you sure?” Fucking A, I’m sure. I rebooted, and then I searched for and deleted every Lexmark DLL, EXE, SYS, INI, and so on that it had installed – since uninstalling didn’t bother to do that for me. I rebooted the laptop again, and breathed a sigh of relief, because now it would never torment me again.

Wrong. Oh, so fucking wrong. You asshats, you devil-worshipping cunt-maggots, do you have stock in a company that makes high blood pressure medication? Does your tech support line mail you kickbacks if your bug makes the top ten?

I got back to the office yesterday and tried to print, and Windows said that I didn’t have any printers installed. I knew. I knew right-fucking-away that Lexmark had somehow removed them all. So I clicked “Add Printer” and it wouldn’t. It said that it couldn’t add a printer because the print spooler service wasn’t running. So I went into Services and tried to manually start the print spooler service. Already I was deeper into the guts of my machine than Joe User would dare go – Visions of troubleshooting this problem for my mother-in-law or other relatives flashed through my head, and steam began to waft from my crimson ears. The print spooler service would not start because it had “Dependencies.” I looked up its dependencies, and what-do-you-fucking-know?

III. Pitting The Third: Lexmark’s printer driver forces WinXP’s Print Spooler Service to be completely dependent on the existence and successful operation of a Lexmark-branded service, even after you uninstall the Lexmark printer. Removal of the now-unnecessary driver or service cripples your ability to print to ANY printer.

I had to edit my goddamn registry to pull the thick, lumpy cock of the Lexmark driver out of the print spooler’s tight and ill-fitting anal orifice. This is so far beyond the knowledge of an average user, and the consequences so crippling, that I feel utterly justified in referring to Lexmark’s “driver” software as a virus.

To reiterate: the hell-spawned piece of viral software to which I refer fails to take advantage of the simple and elegant interface provided, it installs orders of magnitude more software than is necessary to drive a printer’s functionality, and when removed, it cripples critical operating system components. There is no way that even a seasoned user can install it in such a way that this is not the result, and only a seasoned user can fix the problems that result from its typical functioning.

You cock-biting, goat-felching, drug-addled, and utterly incompetent sub-human fecal waste: you dare to call yourselves engineers? You ought to be sodomized with shards of your hellaciously virulent and malevolent install CDs until you’ve apologized to each of your users alphabetically; until every Lexmark printer operates in a standard plug-and-play mode, you should be whipped with USB cables as a recording of your printer’s voice cheerily mutters “You were a waste of perfectly good semen,” over and over.

Fuck you all.

That was one of the best rants I’ve ever read, Jurph. Superb.

I think that says it all. 10/10

Here’s another reason not to buy Lexmark, as if you needed one:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39173517,00.htm

Apparently the software reports your printing habits back to Lexmark (for your convenience of course).

I’m pretty sick of software that unnecessarily tries to access the Internet, but that’s the subject of a possible future rant.

I’m so glad I threw my free-from-Dell fucking shitty, mal-working, furcked up noise-making piece of syphillitic fucking crap Lexmark out the window. When I finally chucked it, I had been using it with the cover off due to poor engineering and a whole host of other crap.

Thankfully, the crap fucking software package didn’t fuck up any of my printing needs in the future.

Piece of shite. A sore on your dong for the lot of you!

Sam

None of these issues are present when using Lexmark printers with a computer with an operating system that wasn’t designed for the unwashed masses by a company run by a megalomaniacal, greed-consumed man-child.

That’s just about the dumbest fucking thing I’ve read all day.

TeaElle, I think the fact that it doesn’t have to behave badly on other operating systems is part of why I’m so mad. The guys at Lexmark clearly worked their asses off to make this piece of “software” (and I use the term as loosely as my stool is after spicy chili) behave badly. Let me state this again to be clear: they deliberately designed this software to bury its tendrils as deep as possible, and to include as much useless watery dogshit (they’re called “features”!!) as possible. A basic, no-frills printer driver clearly exists somewhere inside that disgusting execrable mess; the normal USB interface and a few simple commands are all that are really required.

Doing the right thing for WinXP would have been easier, cheaper, faster, so much more elegant, and honestly better in every conceivable way. And they deliberately did it the other way. The platform they targeted is irrelevant, except for the fact that it’s the most widely used platform out there. That says to me that they wanted to visit this squealing abortive horror of an interface on as many users as possible with the least possible amount of actual thinking required.

Mission accomplished.

My thoughts exactly. And “cruft” is a wonderful word.

Jurph

are you, perchance, goping to print this out and snail it to the CEO of Lexwank? You never know, it might cause him to have a well deserved episode of spontaneous combustion.

Definitely a 10 from the judge of the Swedish Bikini Team

Yet one more reason to hate Lexmark.

Becase their printers are so damn cheap that margins are about non-existent, they pretty much rely on sales of their over-priced printer cartridges to make a profit. When an enterprising company worked out a way to sell refilled cartridges, Lexmark shit its pants and filed a lawsuit stating that the company was violating the DMCA (a vile piece of legislation but that’s another thread). The fact that they eventually lost their lawsuit doesn’t change the fact that it’s a shitty way to do business. Instead of revising their business model to suit changing market realities they tried to abuse the courts protect their profits. Unfortunately, an all too common tactic nowadays.

Preach it, sister!
Although FWIW, Lexmark printers on any platform are substandard. We have 3 Lexmark around the office that were “free” after rebate-- and that is about what they are worth.

Sounds like crap, shit, and fuck all nicely bundled together, which clearly describes the Lexmark software.

Jurph, was there an option to do a custom install and just install the drivers only?
Can the disk directory be deciphered by the average joe so that he/she may select to install the drivers only?
If not, then cruft to them.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=websense

This is a whoosh, right?

Goddamn Jurph, that’s a fucking rant.

A++ to one of my new favorite posters.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Plug and Pray.

Oh goody! You must know something even Lexmark doesn’t!!

Far be it for you to drop a stink-bomb and run away. You’ll direct me to the Mac or Linux drivers, won’t you?

Jurph: This thing’s a print/fax/scan combo, right?

'cause if you used a Windows 98 USB->TAPI CD in an XP machine, you’re the cruft-meister.

Congrats on your impending nuptials, though. To ensure matrimonial bliss, you might want the XP drivers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mac.
Linux.

Have a nice day.