Leo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes? This is Rich!

I’m trying to figure this one out…how do you sell a movie (to 25 year olds), about a guy whose main achievemnts happened almost 70 years ago? Howard Hughes was and is a very enigmatic character, but faceit, they guy dies in what ,1976?
Anyway, I plan to see the movie, but I can’t see it being of interest to anybody under 65 or so.
Will they show Hughe’s insane final years? Living in darkened Las Vegas hotel rooms, surrounded by his “Mormon Mafia”, and saving his urine in gallon jars?
I recall that he alsowalked around with his feet in tisse-boxes, and refusing to shake hands (he was scared of germs). I also remmeber reading that the guy had shoulder-length hair, rotting teeth, and long curvey fingernails. At hisdeath, he was liviing like a homeless street person, despite being one of the richest men in the world.
As I say, I hopethe movie succeeds, but I still ask “why”??

Have you seen clips? The resemblance is uncanny. Plus, like it or not, DiCaprio is an incredibly talented actor.

I like DiCaprio.

I like Scorsese.

The movie in my life I MOST regret no seeing in a theater is “Gangs of New York”.

I’ll see “The Aviator” simply as a means to assuage some of that guilt.

Anyway, back to the original “question”. Who says they’re trying to sell it to 25 year olds? “GONY” wasn’t for 25 year olds.

Martin Scorsese is not Michael Bay. He’s not necessarily looking for the 25 year old crowd any more than Spielberg was with “Catch Me if You Can.”

Most bio-pics are about people that aren’t hip to 25 year olds. . .“De-Lovely”, “Ali”, “Ray”.

I’m not really sure what the gripe is.

Is it about DiCaprio being in it? It being a bio-pic?

Hughes is a pretty interesting, famous American and Scorcese likes to tell big methaphoric stories about America.

How could anyone think events that took place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away could appeal to today’s youth?! Have they no sense of the present?!

Despite Hughes’ later descent into mental illness, I’m willing to bet he led a more interesting and exciting life than ralph, or any member of ralph’s family.

Believe it or not, there are some filmmakers who are interested in making films for grownups. Scorsese is one of them.

The toughest thing I have with this movie is the Leo Dicaprio. I realize he may be a somewhat talented actor, but even at 30 years old he still looks like he’s about 19. I don’t know if he can escape that.
I guess it worked in his other films when I watched them-
Titanic- oh, he’s about 19
The Beach- oh, he’s about 19
Gangs of NY- oh, he’s about 19

The Aviator- Did Howard Hughes always look like he was 19?

I’m 22 and I want to see this movie. Not because I’m a huge DiCaprio fan (although I do think he’s a good actor), but because Howard Hughes is interesting.

Here’s an outstanding early review.

Let’s not forget that it’s also directed by Martin Scorcese, one of the best directors in Hollywood history when he’s on his game.

Movies about the past are only popular with the people who lived in that time period. :rolleyes:
You know I’m really mad you made use the rolleyes smilie. :mad:

Exactly what year did the Titanic sink? I recall someone made a movie about that not too long ago and I understand it did fairly well at the box office.

The Titanic sinks?! Aw, man, I just got the DVD. Next time, use a damn spoiler box!

Heh.

And it had Dicaprio in it. Scorsese must have totally lost his mind to make “The Aviator”.

The Aviator focuses on Hughes’ early years, which are absolutely fascinating. Let’s see kids, here is a guy who made himself great, had lots of Hollywood starlets begging to be with him, flew airplanes and got so rich he could lend money to God. Hell, that’d appeal to me if I was 25!

If you want a film about Hughes’ later, funky years, go rent Melvin & Howard, which features a cameo by Bob Wentz, the best actor I’ve met in real life (as an old guy, he was the narrator in my HS production of Our Town as a favor to my drama teacher- he blew us all away).

I can’t wait to see it.

And BTW, if the “kids” need any incentive to see this movie, it’s Gwen Stefani!

Wasn’t Howard Hughes tall and skinny? Leo is about, what, 3’9" tall?

Still, the early reviews are predicting this to be a serious contender for Best Film come Oscar time so I am actually looking forward to seeing it. Hasn’t been a great film year so far, so I hope this time the film lives up to the hype.

I’m 22 and feel the same. DiCaprio’s involvement does make it more interesting though. He and Depp have recently become two of my more well-liked (favorite’s too strong) actors.

The iceberg did it.

[QUOTE=DMark]
Wasn’t Howard Hughes tall and skinny? Leo is about, what, 3’9" tall?

[QUOTE]

He’s 6’1". Which makes him rather tall and skinny.

Why is everybody complaining about a young Leonardo DiCaprio properly playing the young Howard Hughes when 45-year-old Kevin Spacey is starring in a movie about Bobby Darin, who was 22 when he became famous and died at 37?

A huge number of famous people were much younger when they became famous than we think of them today, able to look back at their entire lives. In this era of every teenager on television being 25-30 we should be celebrating Scorsese’s decision to do right by the Hughes who was 25 when Hell’s Angels was released.

The early word is that DiCaprio’s performance in this film is excellent.

Not that I expect this to make a difference to people whose minds were made up about him years ago based on incomplete information and faulty misconceptions.

Prezzzzactkly what I was going to say. The kid is awesome and Hughs is such as character that people are going to flock in droves to see this flick.

I dunno about that. People still have a bad taste in their mouth from the dreck that was Gangs of New York. I predict less than $85 million. I think Scorcese’s lost the touch.