The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-05-2004, 08:52 PM

Can Eating Lots of Sugar Make You Short of Breath?

Um... can it?

I've noticed lately that when I eat more sugar than I usually do (lots of ice cream, chocolate, etc,) I am often left short of breath - to the point to where I feel as though I've just ran around the block a few times. Is this a normal (or even possible for that matter) reaction or is it just psychosomatic?

DC
Advertisements  
Old 12-05-2004, 08:55 PM

I've run into this too, or something like it.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrafilter
I've run into this too, or something like it.
Thank God. So I'm npt crazy then.

Phew.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 PM

I'm bumping this because I want to know why.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:50 PM

You guys are crazy.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 PM

Ice cream and chocolate normally have more fat in them than sugar (ie, plenty of both). Just sayin'.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoperChic
Um... can it?

I've noticed lately that when I eat more sugar than I usually do (lots of ice cream, chocolate, etc,) I am often left short of breath - to the point to where I feel as though I've just ran around the block a few times. Is this a normal (or even possible for that matter) reaction or is it just psychosomatic?

DC
If you stuff yourself with ice cream and chocolate, you may be so full that your diaphragm may be pushed up into your thorax, decreasing lung volume. If you have a lot of gas or you're overweight, that could add to the problem.

Sometimes diabetics get short of breath when their bodies try to compensate for anaerobic production of lactic acid.

I'd like to hear what one of the docs has to say on this.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E72521
If you stuff yourself with ice cream and chocolate, you may be so full that your diaphragm may be pushed up into your thorax, decreasing lung volume. If you have a lot of gas or you're overweight, that could add to the problem.

Sometimes diabetics get short of breath when their bodies try to compensate for anaerobic production of lactic acid.

I'd like to hear what one of the docs has to say on this.
It's not that I'm eating so much of anything that I'm stuffed. More so that I just eat more of it than my body is used to or that I'm eating sugary stuff alone. For example, last night I sampled two chocolate chip cookies and a piece of solid milk chocolate that I was making for a holiday bake sale after not having eaten anything else for quite a while beforehand. My breathing got so bad about a half hour later that I posted here, hoping for some rationale behind it. Luckily, the problems subsided after 20 minutes or so like they have the few other times this has happened.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Do you usually get your sugar in the form of chocolate? While not much, chocolate DOES have caffiene, and too much caffiene (a stimulant) can make your heart race...
Old 12-06-2004, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
Do you usually get your sugar in the form of chocolate? While not much, chocolate DOES have caffiene, and too much caffiene (a stimulant) can make your heart race...
Other sources of caffiene such as soda and tea have been known to make my heart race a little, but not short of breath like this. I seriously felt as though I had just ran around the block.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:18 AM

Just a guess, but high blood sugar levels may exert a modest suppressive effect on adrenaline, which ordinarily exerts a pro-glycemic effect. [i.e. adrenaline increases blood glucose. to provide fuel for the muscles; if you already have enough, or too much, blood glucose, a complex interaction of hormones may reduce the adrenaline levels in some people)

Beta-blockers, which decrease adrenaline's effect on the major somatic receptors, can cause shortness of breath.

While I haven't done a literature search, and am only guessing, I'd suggest that those who experience this effect take stock of their health. In some people it may mean nothing, in others, it may be a sign of decreases physiological reserves in cardiovascular or pulmonary function. I wouldn't get all panicked, but it could be an early warning in some people, and it's worth considering and looking into.

This isn't medical advice. Medical advice would kick sand in its face at the beach.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoperChic
It's not that I'm eating so much of anything that I'm stuffed. More so that I just eat more of it than my body is used to or that I'm eating sugary stuff alone. For example, last night I sampled two chocolate chip cookies and a piece of solid milk chocolate that I was making for a holiday bake sale after not having eaten anything else for quite a while beforehand. My breathing got so bad about a half hour later that I posted here, hoping for some rationale behind it. Luckily, the problems subsided after 20 minutes or so like they have the few other times this has happened.
WAG, it could be an allergy to chocolate, as it appears that you have this problem only with chocolate. A doctor can test that.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:29 PM

Hyperglycemia can cause lots of odd symptoms. Coma, anxiety, stupor... and I've seen shortness of breath, too. It could be psychosomatic, a mild allergy, acute high blood sugar -- couldn't say.