Should my monitor be safe to take apart?

Okay my curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. I’ve had a defunct montior sitting on my floor for the better part of a year doing absolutley nothing. I’ve heard tell that the capacitor in it can hold a charge for awhile, but exactly how long?
In this thread, QED (whom I trust on issues such as this) says after a week it should be fine. But I just want to be 100% on this before I go poking and prodding, that it would be okay to disassemble it. So would a monitor that’s seen no electrical outlet for almost (or over, not quite sure) a year hold any charge?

I am sure that a year is way long enough for a capacitor to fully discharge.

Just curious? It is possible to remove the cover and, at least on older monitors, access a few adjustments to the “guns” inside the case, for alignment purposes and such, much like an older television. The problem is, in order to test the results you’ll have to power up the monitor, at which point the capacitors will charge once again. And they do pack a wallop. If you are not EXTREMELY careful you can touch something that will close a circuit and discharge the capacitor. The result can range from startling to spectacular. At the very least, if you’re gonna screw around with this stuff (and this comes from an inveterate “Hell, I’ll take a crack at it” kinda guy), use insulated screwdrivers, be really careful. There’s some serious electrical potential stored in there

Discharging a monitor

Note the dire warnings here. There is enough juice to kill you.

I’ve worked on many a monitor and TV since I was a teenager. My standard advice has always been: “if you have to ask then keep your cotton-picking mitts off.” What exactly can you learn, if you don’t know the circuitry and can’t do the math? The don’t let electronics students crack 'em open on the first day of class-- and that’s on a proper electronics bench with equipment and safety gear

However, I am not THAT much of an old fuddy duddy, and I do understand intellectual curiosity. My scruples may not allow me to tell you it’s safe, sight unseen (that’d be as stupid as giving medical advice on the board), but you’ll notice that I’m not screaming at you to stop.

There are lots of imponderables, like the monitor having been plugged in, briefly, much more recently than you recall – perhaps by someone else. In general “sitting on a shelf” is the least reliable and predictable method of capacitor discharge, and working near any high voltage without an understanding of the curcuit, and the proper gear and techniques is Not Good.

If all is as you describe, I still wouldn’t advise it, but it’s your life, dig? There are dangers, even if it’s been on the shelf for months, and as a matter of principle, you have to ask yourself: am I really competent to accurately weigh the risks here? Experienced professional TV repairmen die of shock every year.

I have to say that, because it’s true. What would I have done when I was in your situation? That, I don’t have to say. Nor do I dare.

And yeah – this is not medical advice.

Generally I would also accept QED’s advice on 99% of what is asked in GQ, however he has been known to be wrong about CRT monitors in the past and as others have stated this is your life that you’d be gambling with take all proper precautions please don’t guess. I hope you are able to let us know how you do with it.