The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-16-2004, 09:52 AM

Do Homosexual Men Have Larger Penises Than Heterosexual Men?

Is it true that gay men, on average, have been shown to have larger penises than straight men, and that this difference was shown to be statistically significant?

If so, why might this be the case? Were differences (if any) in average age, levels of obesity, and frequency of sexual intercourse taken into account in conducting this study??

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:05 AM

According to the conversations I've had with my gay male friends the answer is a resounding "no"

Other penile myths: Not all black men are hung and not all Asians are small.

It's most likely a combination of genetics and the luck of the draw.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"-Diderot
Old 12-16-2004, 10:26 AM

There is a joke waiting to be made about your OP and your location but I'll be damned if I know what it is.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:36 AM

The purpose of the boards is to stamp out ignorance.

So men, get out your rulers, and something to measure with too.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 AM
BANNED

Yes, but there are racial variations which likely have a genetic component. For example the bone density of Asians and Inuits is markedly lower than African Americans on average (cetaris paribus). It is not unreasonable to believe that African Americans may indeed have penis sizes larger (on average) than your average Caucausion male. However, I not aware of any formal proposition to support this hypothesis.

As for homosexuals it is conceivable that higher levels of circulating male hormones might correlate with a tendency towards homosexuality and that this might further have some correlation with having a larger than average penis size (or maybe there is some undefined self selection bias associated with having a larger penis and becoming a homosexual). Again however I'm not aware of any research to support this proposition. Furthermore, since this is such a non "PC" question with no clear medical benefits such research is not likely to occur.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chao Goes Mu

Is this statement supposed to illustrate the myth, or stand in contradiction to it?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahala
The purpose of the boards is to stamp out ignorance.

So men, get out your rulers, and something to measure with too.
You know if thirty or so homosexual males, and thirty or so self selected hetero males did this it would go along way to address the question ( I think that the distribution starts to approach a Normal curve at about N=15 with a true random selection does't it?). No it wouldn't be a random sample, and yes in this case I think self selection would probably mean the guys with the bigger penises were the one's that measured. However, it would be a good place to start.

Let me get the ball rolling. About three and half flaccid and about six and half erect for this hetero male (I'd swear that it used to be seven).
Old 12-16-2004, 11:25 AM

Well, a while back I posted a link to this article about finger length and sexual orientation. The last paragraph of the article reads:

Quote:
Breedlove said his findings also are consistent with other research suggesting that gay men have been "hypermasculinized" with higher levels of testosterone circulating in their blood, larger genitalia and subtle differences in brain structure as compared with straight men.
(bolding mine)

So that seems to indicate that, yes, on average gay men do have larger penises. But I haven't seen the original research and I'm not about to search for "gay men" and "penis size" at work...
Old 12-16-2004, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain
Yes, but there are racial variations which likely have a genetic component. For example the bone density of Asians and Inuits is markedly lower than African Americans on average (cetaris paribus). It is not unreasonable to believe that African Americans may indeed have penis sizes larger (on average) than your average Caucausion male. However, I not aware of any formal proposition to support this hypothesis.
The problem with that is defining how much Africa a person needs to be called an "African" american. How do you judge? Amount of pigmentation, nose width, hair texture? If I'm a Caucausion with a 12 incher and dark curly hair, does that mean I may have a coffee in my cream?

Are all Caucasusions the same size? Is there an ethnic difference? How are we to know if its isn't really the American in the African American that may give penis size? Do we know how African Americans stand up against Africans? Which Africans?

Which Caucausions get to be representive? Swedes, East Asians, Spainards? Certainly not Americans, the mutts of the world.

When you have a study showing how genetically isolated people stack up in penis size let me know...until them, it's unreasonable and tainted science...on average.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopydude
Is this statement supposed to illustrate the myth, or stand in contradiction to it?
I am calling attention to a myth that has seemed to exist for some time, Based on what my gay male friends, especially three of them who've had numerous sex partners, it seems to be just that, a myth. This is by no means a scientific study, mind you.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain
Let me get the ball rolling. About three and half flaccid and about six and half erect for this hetero male (I'd swear that it used to be seven).
Ummm...that is the metric side of the ruler. Please convert to inches.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:09 PM

http://www.sizesurvey.com/result.html

It's an internet survey, but it seems pretty well compiled. According to them there is not statistical difference.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:10 PM

no statistical difference. Where the hell did that T come from -.-;
Old 12-16-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonix
http://www.sizesurvey.com/result.html

It's an internet survey, but it seems pretty well compiled. According to them there is not statistical difference.
D'OH!!

As a public service announcement, scrolling too far down the page will reveal that it's N terribly SFW!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes
The problem with that is defining how much Africa a person needs to be called an "African" american. How do you judge? Amount of pigmentation, nose width, hair texture? If I'm a Caucausion with a 12 incher and dark curly hair, does that mean I may have a coffee in my cream?

Are all Caucasusions the same size? Is there an ethnic difference? How are we to know if its isn't really the American in the African American that may give penis size? Do we know how African Americans stand up against Africans? Which Africans?

Which Caucausions get to be representive? Swedes, East Asians, Spainards? Certainly not Americans, the mutts of the world.

When you have a study showing how genetically isolated people stack up in penis size let me know...until them, it's unreasonable and tainted science...on average.
I know that we are taught in our nursing tesxbooks to take into account racial differences (such as bone density) when we are conducting health histories, and when we do examinations (including lab value analysis). However, you raise a good point with regard to genetic variation within racial subtypes. Optimally, we would be able to see the "summarized genetic code" with unique health considerations and concerns highlighted before each examination of each individual person. However, that is currently not possible (or at least practical) and we therefore use certain physical characteristics to help in the subjective/objective evaluatory process.

Having said that I do believe that many conditions such as hypertension and increased risk of CHD in the American Black community can be attributed much more to diet and lifestyle, than genetic variation. However, mainstream (or shall we say clinically proven) science holds that these differences also have a genetic component.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Not quite on target...but with perhaps some relevant data...

The master speaks.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopydude
D'OH!!

As a public service announcement, scrolling too far down the page will reveal that it's N terribly SFW!
oops, sorry loopy dude. Yea, theres some pictures of flacid and erect penises. Not exactly very purient material, but not work safe nonetheless.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal
Is it true that gay men, on average, have been shown to have larger penises than straight men, and that this difference was shown to be statistically significant?

If so, why might this be the case? Were differences (if any) in average age, levels of obesity, and frequency of sexual intercourse taken into account in conducting this study??

Thanks.
Yeth
Old 12-16-2004, 02:09 PM

Well, the best actual study I could find on this subject has an abstract right here which does indicate that homosexuals have larger penises, but note that the data compiled by Bogaert & Hershberger was taken from the Kinsey surveys, which could just mean that homosexuals tend to report larger penis sizes.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I mean no.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chao Goes Mu

So, the male off spring of a black man and an Asian woman, might have the biggestsmallest dick you ever saw?