The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 12-24-2004, 01:34 AM

Tiger vs. Wolf: Who wins?

This has been a long-running debate/argument at work, so I turn to the Teeming Millions.

A lone wolf and a solitary tiger are placed in the Roman Coliseum and fight to the death. Which one will emerge victorius?

I'm saying the tiger, based off of size, speed, strength and the fact that it is used to hunting alone. My coworker says the wolf, for the same reasons plus higher intelligence.
Advertisements  
Old 12-24-2004, 01:37 AM

the tiger would win easily
Old 12-24-2004, 02:14 AM

yeah, the tiger would win. I would bet that it would take at least 3 wolves to kill a tiger, which they would then be able to do easily.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

Man, it's not even close. A Tiger can weigh almost 700 pounds. Tigers have claws they use as weapons. A Tiger would kill a wolf in one swipe.

I don't think three wolves could kill a big tiger. I'm not even sure a pack of wolves could.

Animals in the tiger's class would be Grizzly bears, maybe a Silverback Gorilla, a couple of other animals. BIG animals. Supreme predators. Wolves aren't even in the same ballpark.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone
Man, it's not even close. A Tiger can weigh almost 700 pounds. Tigers have claws they use as weapons. A Tiger would kill a wolf in one swipe.

I don't think three wolves could kill a big tiger. I'm not even sure a pack of wolves could.

Animals in the tiger's class would be Grizzly bears, maybe a Silverback Gorilla, a couple of other animals. BIG animals. Supreme predators. Wolves aren't even in the same ballpark.
I agree, a Wolf is more like the neighbor's dog on steroids but a Tiger is a...Tiger.
I wouldn't be able to call a Tiger VS a Bear or Lion but a Wolf. I am pretty sure that the wolf would be the Tiger's lunch.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:01 AM
BANNED

A pack of wolves might not be enough to take down a full grown male tiger. Tigers are among the planet's elite land predators, along with lions and the larger bears (grizzly and polar), which also are large, fast, and have sharp claws.

A healthy adult male Bengal tiger vs. a healthy adult male Kodiak or polar bear, now that would be a battle.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:16 AM

Definitely Tiger.

The real questions remains though:

Will there ever be a boy that can swim faster than a sharK?
Old 12-24-2004, 04:20 AM

I've got a rather nice encyclopaedia of animals at home and read about a Siberian Tiger (a particularly large one btw) taking down 13 wolves before the rest of the pack brought him down. Difficult to cite tho, so you'll have to take my word.

Catsurvivalist describes diet of the tiger here (page down to Diet), which does include wolf.... I suspect the wolf would a) need to be alone and b) the tiger pretty hungry.

Although I have a soft spot for wolves, Tigers are awesome creatures.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:52 AM

This may come as a surprise, but I also have a soft spot for wolves.

Still, this isn't even a fair fight. Tigers have it better than wolves in almost every department in this fight.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeBurning
Definitely Tiger.

The real questions remains though:

Will there ever be a boy that can swim faster than a sharK?
First to the OP, Tiger paws down. Second to TastesLikeBurning over a short distance (IE. a pool), swimming for their life, maybe Thorpe, or Phelps, in open water, not a chance. No matter how great of a swimmer you are you can't beat millions of years of Evolution.

Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:18 AM

Rev. Phelps? Not that I wouldn't be interested in seeing him try to swim faster than a shark. I would definately be cheering for the shark though.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:18 AM

Don't forget that until Mowgli joined the pack the brotherhood of wolves feared Sherkhan more than anything but man. It was Mowgli's cunning, working together with his brothers, that allowed them to slay the lame one*.

*And Sherkhan was an old, somewhat lame tiger who had taken to attacking livestock, which is against the Law of the Jungle.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus
Rev. Phelps? Not that I wouldn't be interested in seeing him try to swim faster than a shark. I would definately be cheering for the shark though.
I was referring to Michael Phelps, the guys who won 6(?) medals this summer in the olympics. But if you want to see the Rev go down that way...
Old 12-24-2004, 08:03 AM

Facts:

1. Tigers are mammals.
2. Tigers fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of the tiger is to flip out and kill things.

Tigers can kill anything they want. They bite off heads all the time and don't even think twice about it. These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out all the time. I heard that there was this tiger who was eating his dinner and when some monkey dropped a banana, the tiger killed the whole jungle.

If you don't believe that tigers can kill a wolf, you better get a life right now or they will bite your head off! It's an easy choice, if you ask me.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:16 AM

You got that right, Aesiron. Tigers are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

I also read in a nature book that siberian tigers kick wolf ass.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:17 AM

The tiger, if it's prepared.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

It wouldn't even be CLOSE...

The greatest golfer in the world versus an aging CNN commentator?

Oh, wait...
Old 12-24-2004, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_Will
I'm saying the tiger, based off of size, speed, strength and the fact that it is used to hunting alone. My coworker says the wolf, for the same reasons plus higher intelligence.
Does your coworker really think that wolves hunt alone?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth
*And Sherkhan was an old, somewhat lame tiger who had taken to attacking livestock, which is against the Law of the Jungle.
I think Shere Khan was always lame (Lungri, his mother called him, "Lame One"), and he was not depicted as old, I don't think--just evil, lazy and merciless.

Also, attacking man was almost always against the law of the jungle (except for one night, which was the tiger's right!):
Quote:
The Law of the Jungle, which never orders anything without a reason, forbids every beast to eat Man except when he is killing to show his children how to kill, and then he must hunt outside the hunting-grounds of his pack or tribe. The real reason for this is that man-killing means, sooner or later, the arrival of white men on elephants, with guns, and hundreds of brown men with gongs and rockets and torches. Then everybody in the jungle suffers. The reason the beasts give among themselves is that Man is the weakest and most defenseless of all living things, and it is unsportsmanlike to touch him. They say too -- and it is true -- that man-eaters become mangy, and lose their teeth.
But it was OK to kill cattle. In fact, Bagheera bought Mowgli's life by giving the indifferent pack a bull he had killed and hidden close by (much to Shere Khan's anger):
Quote:
"To kill a naked cub is shame. Besides, he may make better sport for you when he is grown. Baloo has spoken in his behalf. Now to Baloo's word I will add one bull, and a fat one, newly killed, not half a mile from here, if ye will accept the man's cub according to the Law. Is it difficult?"
I love the Jungle Book (so does my son--we used to read it together when he was little). Wolves and tigers are cool. But a tiger kills a wolf easily. Unless the wolf is packing.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:37 AM

Heck, Iíd put my money on a Mountain Lion (Cougar) against a Wolf. And they are in the same weight class.

A Tiger? Against a Wolf? I donít think your co-workers know what a Tiger really is.

From Animalinfo.org - The Tiger
The tiger is the largest member of the cat family, with the Amur (Siberian) tiger weighing as much as 360 kg (790 lb). Although it is found in a variety of habitats, the tiger always requires dense vegetative cover, an adequate supply of large ungulate prey (mainly deer and wild pigs), and access to a reliable source of water.
The principal prey of the tiger consists of various species of deer and wild pigs, usually in the 50 - 200 kg (110 - 440 lb) range. These include sambar, chital, swamp deer, red deer, rusa deer and wild boar. It will also take young elephants and rhinos and smaller species such as monkeys, birds, reptiles and fish.

From Animalinfo.org - The Wolf
The red wolf weighs 18 - 41 kg (40 - 90 lb). It has utilized habitats including upland and bottomland forests, wetlands, bushland and coastal prairies. It has been reported to capture animals up to the size of small deer, including pigs, nutria, raccoons, muskrats, other rodents and rabbits. It will also eat carrion.

The principle prey of the Tiger is up to 4 times bigger than a large Wolf. Your co-workers need less Disney and more Nature Channel.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:22 AM

The wolf, if it has a shotgun.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Do you guys not get the surprisingly interesting Discovery Channel show Animal Face-off, where they make steel and computer models of animals and then pit them against each other? They had a Siberian Tiger up against a Grizzly Bear - I think the tiger won, but it was a good challenge. If a tiger can beat a bear, it would have no problem with a lone wolf.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:
A lone wolf and a solitary tiger are placed in the Roman Coliseum ...
If this actually happened, the wolf would likely be smart enough to decline battle. Given the lack of cover and the speed, maneuveribilty and keen senses of a wolf, the tiger (whose hunting style is ambush rather than chase) would have a hard time closing. If it did, it would easily prevail.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrafilter
Only Lone Wolf McQuade.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesiron
Facts:
1. Tigers are mammals.
Right - as are wolves.

Quote:
2. Tigers fight ALL the time.
They typically kill about twice a week. There's usually not much of a fight involved - they ambush an animal, leap on its back and get a grip on the throat that causes strangulation. They take care to hold the animal so its feet on on the opposite side, so the hooves can't do them any damage.

Quote:
3. The purpose of the tiger is to flip out and kill things.
Not sure what "flip out" means in this context. Tigers are rather deliberate and controlled in almost everything they do.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesiron
Tigers can kill anything they want. They bite off heads all the time and don't even think twice about it. These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out all the time. I heard that there was this tiger who was eating his dinner and when some monkey dropped a banana, the tiger killed the whole jungle.
Ah, so tigers have Real Ultimate Power, eh?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema
Not sure what "flip out" means in this context. Tigers are rather deliberate and controlled in almost everything they do.
Whoooooooosh!!
Old 12-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm putting my money on the wolf. Remember how relieved Jules was when Marsellius told him The Wolf was coming to get him, Vincent and Marvin's headless body from Jimmy's garage before Bonnie got home?

The Wolf would have it wrapped up faster than you can say "Dead Tiger Storage."
Old 12-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Psst! Xema! Go here
Old 12-24-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema
Link to in-joke, dude.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm not even sure about the gorilla. A gorilla has great strength, but without the predatory instinct, and like the wolf, does not have claws.

I think a lion might be able to take a tiger, as would, possibly, an enraged giant herbivore like an elephant or rhinoceros, or the largest bovines.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:01 PM

I doubt a wolf could take a tiger, but there have been cases of wolves killing mountain lions, according to this site:

http://www.spiritone.com/~brucem/icbexcar.htm

(Scroll down to about the 6th or 7th paragraph.)
Old 12-24-2004, 04:18 PM

I don't accept the premise the a wolf is more inteligent then a tiger.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:52 PM

wolves sometimes challenge bears for kills, one will fake an injury and when the bear chases him to finish him off, the others will attack it. tigers and other big cats aren't built for long distance speed like wolves are, nor do they work together. a pack of wolves could wear out and kill tiger. so while a tiger would win one on one, ten wolves would beat ten tigers in a forest because they could pick them off one at a time. of course, I may be a bit biased.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
Do you guys not get the surprisingly interesting Discovery Channel show Animal Face-off, where they make steel and computer models of animals and then pit them against each other? They had a Siberian Tiger up against a Grizzly Bear - I think the tiger won, but it was a good challenge. If a tiger can beat a bear, it would have no problem with a lone wolf.

I only saw this show once, but it was Lion Vs Tiger. The lion won, if I remember right, but it was pretty close. Anyway, to agree with everyone so far, there would be tufts of wolf hair in that tiger's dump.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:06 PM

Just for anyone's information, check the show out here:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...alfaceoff.html
Old 12-24-2004, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Maxx
First to the OP, Tiger paws down. Second to TastesLikeBurning over a short distance (IE. a pool), swimming for their life, maybe Thorpe, or Phelps, in open water, not a chance. No matter how great of a swimmer you are you can't beat millions of years of Evolution.
I definitely agree, but in all honesty, my obscure reference to something Gareth said in "The Office" has been missed.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrafilter
Quote:
This is the same coworker who was convinced that the police won't arrest someone on acid. Needless to say, he is slightly mistaken from time to time.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyyrewyyoae
I only saw this show once, but it was Lion Vs Tiger. The lion won, if I remember right, but it was pretty close. Anyway, to agree with everyone so far, there would be tufts of wolf hair in that tiger's dump.
In real life though lions are predominantly social creatures while tigers are lone predators (I think?), a pride of lions versus one tiger wouldn't be that much of a fight.

Also to whoever posted further up I think in general zoologists say pack animals that live in their little animal societies are more intelligent than lone animals.

I don't think an elephant would have great difficulty killing a tiger.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:19 AM

A tiger would not be wise to take on a porcupine, or a giraffe, or a rhino, or a hippo, or a croc or alligator in the water.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:28 AM

- - - I'd say the tiger would whoop ass, but then, as already noted--an adult northern-range tiger would weigh about four times as much as a big wolf.
- Cats are generally better predators because of the fact that they have recurve claws. They will generally try to crush teh neck of the victim, but if they can't do that then they will attack by grabbing on with their mouth and front paws, and then kicking into the victims abdomen with their rear claws. It is instinctive, and even domestic housecats will do it when they fight. Dogs do not have this option, and so can't do nearly as much damage as fast.
- Leopards are much smaller than tigers, sized much closer to wolves--which would seem to be a more even match--except that leopards are said by big-game hunters to be the smartest cats by far.
- Incidentally, mountain lions and wolves co-habitate in may places, but they are not considered to be real significant predators of each other. But even so--it is not unusual for a 150-lb mountain lion to kill a 750-lb elk. I'd bet that a single adult wolf would probably not be able to do that. Among land animals, mountain lions have the largest prey-to-predator ratio of all. We might suppose that wolves stick together at least partly to avoid being eaten by mountain lions.
---------
...And anyway, didn't the Romans settle all these questions way back when? Aren't there any surviving records?
~
Old 12-25-2004, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou

No.
I kept wanting the tiger to win, but the damn bear kicked its ass.
If I remember correctly it broke the tiger's spine with a single swipe of its paw.
Every damn time the tiger fought it got beaten.
Grrr.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde

I don't think an elephant would have great difficulty killing a tiger.
In her book,"The Tribe Of Tiger", Elizabeth Marshall Thomas tells about a lion that accidently found himself surrounded by elephants. The lion felt the only way out was to attack one of the elephants and, "...leaping at the nearest elephant,he clung to her head.She plucked him off,dashed him to the ground,and killed him..."

Not a tiger I know, but I do not see the outcome being any different.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnAgain
No.
I kept wanting the tiger to win, but the damn bear kicked its ass.
If I remember correctly it broke the tiger's spine with a single swipe of its paw.
Every damn time the tiger fought it got beaten.
Grrr.
Dang it - I'm a victim of wishful remembering.

Did you see the gorilla vs. leopard? No contest at all - gorilla with its jackhammer arm did the same as the bear - one swipe, and the leopard was done.

(By the way, cougars kick ass.)
Old 12-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Or elephants. Supreme Vegetarians.
Peace,
mangeorge
Old 12-25-2004, 04:46 PM

So... This isn't about Tiger Woods vs. Wolf Blitzer?
Old 12-25-2004, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRC
I doubt a wolf could take a tiger, but there have been cases of wolves killing mountain lions, according to this site:

http://www.spiritone.com/~brucem/icbexcar.htm

(Scroll down to about the 6th or 7th paragraph.)
And I know of at least one case where a 60 year old man who was ambushed by a couger managed to kill it with a pocket knife.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Anyone seen that video of the officer who tries to restrain a kitty cat, on a leash no less?
It's an excellent demonstration of why felines are such formidible foes.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeorge
Anyone seen that video of the officer who tries to restrain a kitty cat, on a leash no less?
It's an excellent demonstration of why felines are such formidible foes.
Got a link?
That sure sounds interesting...
Why on earth was a cop trying to restrain a kitty cat anyways?
Was it perhaps not so much a kitty cat as a big cat or a wild cat?
Old 12-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnAgain
Got a link?
That sure sounds interesting...
Why on earth was a cop trying to restrain a kitty cat anyways?
Was it perhaps not so much a kitty cat as a big cat or a wild cat?
I've been trying to find it. It was going around a while back.
I think the "victim" was an animal control officer. Regular ol' house cat, though.
It's pretty funny if you can restrain your sympathy for the guy. I did, mostly.