573.75 Reasons to have a Green Mango

My neighbours have a very large mango tree near our fence. About a third of it, till I chopped it off, hung over my yard. Probably it would’ve been better to have done this chopping at some other time and not yesterday. But yesterday is when I had the time so yesterday is when it happened.

Why would some other time have been a better time? Because in a good season (such as this one) this tree produces mangos like thunderstorms produce raindrops. And as at right now this tree is having a very (very) good season, and has more mangoes on it than “sex” has google hits.

I have mulched up the chopped off leaves and branches, but I now have no less then (wait for it) five hundred and seventy-three point seven five[sup][/sup] *(yes, that’s 573.75) pounds of green mangoes, in cartons in my garage.

It’s over 90 degrees here most of the time and these things are going to go off and are going to have to be dumped if I don’t find something more constructive to do with them.

Dopers, you’re my last hope: what do I do with these damn things?

Come up with some ideas, or in 24 hours the green mangoes get it.

[sub][sup]*[/sup]Figure extrapolated from the weight of one box, converted to pounds for the metrically challenged, and then supplied to far too many decimal places, given the dubious accuracy of my measurements, for comic effect[/sub]

Sell them?

For what? They ain’t ripe.

Though I suppose if you can ebay an old cheese sandwich…

Make a tea…
…or a Thai dish …
…or chutney!

Compost.

Dump them over the fence. Duh.

Yeah, Mrs Princhester suggested putting a bucket at the discharge chute of the mulcher and just chuckin’ in the lot :). I, on the other hand, decided that a mix of juice, pulp and ground up mango seed was going to be less than appetising. Plus I’d still like my mulcher to work.

Cisco I thought of that. But I actually quite like my neighbours (who are tenants). Their landlord is another story. But he’s not the one who’s going to cop eau du rotting mango for the next few weeks if I follow your suggestion :slight_smile:

Make jam! You can use any recipe you would use for peaches. I made a batch a while back with limes and rum - bingo Mango daiquiri jam! It was yummy, if I may say so.

Why don’t you set up a roadside stand and sell them off for 50 cents a piece (or whatever they go for in QLD - I know they are pretty pricey here in Sydney) you’d make a killing :cool:

Sounds like the perfect quantity to feed into a nice still! Mango vodka anyone?

samples may be sent to Sandown NH for testing.

Now you’re talking, Butler.

They’re not very good eating mangoes, past experience tells me, even when ripe.

A friend has suggested that I build a modified spud gun and share my problem around the whole neighbourhood at random. Not a bad idea but sooner or later someone would get the artillery tracking radar onto me. Or maybe just listen for the “foomph” noises.

Um, er, um…

Well…

er…

um…

you could try attempting to communicate with them, and ask them what they would like you to do with them.

Some mangoes are actually quite intelligent and articulate, and frequently post to message boards.

A Thai friend of mine puts sugar and salt on green mangoes and eats them like that. Green mango salad using a green papaw recipe?

My mango tree had two mangoes this year and my 7 yo picked one of them green. My mother says that it will eventually ripen and be edible. I’m not convinced. It smells ripe but it’s very withered.

I vote a batch of green mango chutney and the wheelie bin. They do not compost well.

Green mango salad sounds good, but I’d seriously consider selling them very cheap and tell people to put them in a bag of rice which helps them to ripen faster.

See if Gallagher needs to reload his supply of fruit to be smashed with the Sledge-O-Matic.

What’s a ‘wheelie bin’? Sounds like a carnival ride.

A goat and / or giant squid must be involved at some point… or what about a mango trebuchet?

(Serious answer: mango recipes here and here. Go wild! ;))

Garbage collection man after knocking on door, to large sweaty man: "Where’s ya bin?

Man: “Around, what’s it to ya?”

Garbo: “No, where’s ya wheelie bin?”

Man: “Look, it’s none of your business, but if you really want to know, I bin shaggin’, now bugger off”.

(Wheelie Bin)

Make the mangoes into biscuits. The pandas will thank you. :slight_smile:

http://www.rathergood.com/biscuits/