Rats have rudimentary language skills

Granted, they’re extremely rudimentary, but it might be time to pack up and head for the hills, I think.

Way cool article, Ultra, I had read it this morning.

Language is a subtle concept, and it obviously includes a lot of elements that we have not yet defined. I found it especially interesting that variations between individuals seems to be more important than between languages. (To rats, anyway.)

Tris

“If a person feels he can’t communicate, the least he can do is shut up about it.” ~ Tom Lehrer ~

Huh. So much for the URL in a quote attribution. Mods?

Very interesting! Although it makes sense that humans would develop a particular means of communication if the precursors for it already existed in mammalian sensory processing.

I wonder if my cats can differentiate when they are being spoken to in English or French. :smiley: They know quite a few words in both languages anyway.

How much longer before the rats escape and build a secret civilization in a rosebush on an old farm?

Is this a part of the plan, does it only apply to mice, or did some dumb rodent really screw up a couple million years of research…?

Fixed link.

Still isn’t as cool as this: 25,000 rat neurons in a petri dish flying a simulated plane.