Liberals Don't Like "David Gale" cos They See Themselves in the Mirror - SPOILERS

My wife borrowed Alan Parker’s film “The Life of David Gale” from her University library because she knows I like thrillers. She’d never heard of it, while I seemed vaguely to recall its capital punishment theme. We sat down and watched it late last night. Both of us enjoyed it.

This morning I started reading the reviews. First up, as is my habit, was Roger Ebert. He’s a critic whose style I like and whose opinions I often share. We often assign films similar ratings.

But not for this one. That Roger gave it NO STARS, while this Roger gave it 3 stars. Good thriller, if one with a number of implausibilities, and very interesting study of a man falling apart. As someone with a young kid, I could empathise with the Spacey character’s situation.

Anyway, after watching it, my wife and I briefly discussed it. She made the point (as she is wont to) about westerners (she’s Chinese herself, though educated at universities in England) loving their causes, whether abortion, or animal rights, or, as in this film, capital punishment. We both felt that the way in which the film grounded the activists’ fight against the death penalty against a background of their own weaknesses and insecurities and failures was interesting and ultimately realistic.

As it happens, I’m in favour of the death penalty (broadly speaking) while my wife doesn’t have strong views either way.

I mention that because - and here we come to the heart of the point I want to make, and which relates most directly to my sensational title (how else could I get anyone to read about a film that was discussed here when it came out two years ago?) - reading the negative comments on the film led me to think that most of those who hated the film (as in giving it NO STARS) hated it because they took it to be so negative about anti CP campaigners.

They hated the way the film made those campaigners look like total losers. (Is that not almost the worse insult that can be directed against an American?) Their office was shabby, their campaign was amateurish, their PR was crap, and they were driven more by their personal demons than by their desire to see justice done and rights upheld.

They took the film as a slur against themselves, their raison d’etre, a pointed reminder that the causes with which they surround themselves are built on a foundation of sand. That they were either losers or phoneys. That if it wasn’t the death penalty they were campaigning against, it might equally have been whaling or shark’s fin soup. Or even, as the film forces the viewer to recognise (consciously or unconsciously), that it could just have easily have been the death penalty that they were campaigning for. (The crowd scene, where the two opposing camps come closer together and eventually merge outside the prison where the execution takes place, hints at this powerfully.)

Good film-making is meant to be neither comfortable nor unambiguous. This film (made of course by people - unlike me - who oppose the DP) succeeds in making the viewer think.

Unless, of course, he or she is convinced of the certainty of the path they have taken and wish only to have that worldview confirmed by those around them.

Bush and Rove?

Not always. Could just as easily be Berkeley man and Manhattan woman.

My understanding was that it was just a very poor movie. That is, it just wasn’t very good regardless of the topic. I saw the movie and if anything it made an effort to sympathize with anti-capital punishment activists rather than belittle them. Again though, it just wasn’t very good.

I’m still trying to find where the OP actually proves the allegation in the thread’s title.

I didn’t like the movie because it was cliched, and because the “surprise ending” made the title character, who was supposed to be sympathetic, deranged.

Cliched re Texans, I take it. Many films have this failing (even those made by someone from the same country, eg The Full Monty is cliched about Northern England), and it’s possibly worse - or deemed to be worse - when done by a foreigner.

Re the surprise ending, it made perfect sense to me that Spacey should let the hack (Winslet) know that he was complicit in his own “unjust” execution. He’d led her a merry dance (for the cause) but didn’t want her to have his death on her conscience.

I liked Mr. Cranky’s review Here’s just a taste.

The liberal critics have to kibosh the liberal movie because it did an unflattering job on liberal characters?

And wouldn’t Roger Ebert’s hating the dirty hippie stereotype conflict with his loving the cliched Texan stereotypes and screw with his bloodpressure?

I give this theory zero stars and two thumbs up the you-know-what.

But she is a reporter, who now has incontrovertible proof that Gale framed himself – which destroys the whole anti-capital punishment argument. It’s like trying to prove a car is dangerous by intentionally driving it off a cliff. (This was why Ebert gave the film zero stars, btw.)

I didn’t think the film was as bad or preachy as a lot of people did, but the twist ending really did ruin it for me. It just wasn’t logical, and was jumping on the bandwagon of pointless twist endings that was legion at the time.

It’s a factor, I’d say. A major one.

Pokey, you lost me here. What got on Ebert’s goat so much about this film in your opinion? So much that he gave it zero stars, placing it in the hall of ignominy where it wioll be assured of lasting infamy. Hell, even I’ve done a search for all his zero star films before. He knows sure as eggs is eggs that even the most unbuffed film buff in the States is likely to do the same. And yet this film is nowhere near irredeemable. Never seen him in such a rage over a motion picture.

Noted. But I still don’t understand which theory you’re debunking.

But it doesn’t. An innocent man was still executed. A man innocent of crimes deserving capital punishment, at any rate.

I don’t think so. This is what I’m disputing. I mean, I could say that the reason that I decline to eat shark’s fin soup is because of the way it is produced, when actually I just don’t like the way it tastes. My point is premised on the fact that this film got to Ebert’s Achilles heel.

Yes, I recall your sentiments from the old threads. Does an ending make a two star film a zero star film?

I haven’t seen the movie, but if liberals don’t like the it - and I have no idea if that’s true to begin with - I think the ending is a much more likely explanation. I gather it’s also the reason critics, not just Ebert, hated the movie. Politics aside, as part of a story, it’s lazy and dumb. Very, very dumb. If the movie annoyed liberals, I think the implication that they’re unscrupulous, crazy liars would be much more irritating than the idea that they’re starry-eyed, well-meaning losers.

roger, I think you’ve left yourself needing to prove that film critics are liberal, AND that liberals hated this movie, AND that this is why they hated it, as opposed to just thinking it wasn’t very good on its own merits.

(See my posts above.) But compare animal rights campaigners, who are willing to be unethical/unscrupulous/illegal (what have you) in order to make their point, because it’s a point about rights. (Also other groups - you have enough there.) “All’s fair in love and war.”

roger, I think you’ve left yourself needing to prove that film critics are liberal, AND that liberals hated this movie, AND that this is why they hated it, as opposed to just thinking it wasn’t very good on its own merits.
[/QUOTE]

But it’s the zero rating (right down there with some shitty pictures) and the righteous wrath that provide, if not proof (you’ll never find that outside logic and pure maths), then very strong evidence that this film hit personal buttons.

I’m not sure where you’re going with this.

Yes, the film ticked him off. Plenty of movies tick me off for reasons that might not be readily apparent. That doesn’t mean you can assume the reason is politics.

A man trying to get himself executed is analagous to people trying to NOT get executed… how?

Let’s say that I own a bathtub. I fill it up and stick up head underwater, and take a nice deep breath. I then drown. Does this somehow prove that bathtubs are evil killing machines?

I thought this film hit buttons with people on the right. I know all my conservative friends who saw it were pissed off. My liberal friends? Not so much.

Here is Ebert’s review.

He makes it clear that he’s against the death penalty, or at least has big problems with its current application. Still, I think he proves what I said: he doesn’t dislike the movie because of the way it portrays anti-death penalty activists as “losers,” he hates the stupid ending. He writes “I am sure the filmmakers believe their film is against the death penalty. I believe it supports [the death penalty] and hopes to discredit the opponents of the penalty as unprincipled fraudsters.” Of the ending, he says “*t serves no functional purpose except to give a cheap thrill to the audience slackjaws. It is shameful.”

So I’ll say Ebert’s politics did affect the review. He thinks the issue deserves real consideration and the movie offered a copout instead. I think that’s a perfectly valid reason to hate a movie regardless of whether you agree with the filmmaker’s politics or not.

Here are the IMDB’s snippets from some other bad reviews for the movie:

My point re animal rights people (for example) is that they use violence (commit illegal actions) to further their cause (the rights of animals) on occasion. Many of them consider themselves liberals. (All, I dare say.) Other liberals might feel uncomfortable when any comparison is drawn between such people and themselves. The discomfort may have to do with many things - the realisation that they have lost their radical edge (and are like the liberals mocked by Mr Cranky), or the understanding of the darkness lurking in their own hearts. Whichever way it works, I believe it makes many liberals uncomfortable.

Eberts’s objections to the film are as much political as artistic. He cites the disproportionate numbers of blacks who get executed in Texas in his review, if I recall correctly.

Poor blacks and Latinos. Not, by contrast, suburban WASPS who drink too much whisky and f*** their students.

All of the liberals I know are uncomfortable with using violence.

As one of those liberals, I can tell you these are both very bad guesses. You would do well to learn more about people before you presume to know why they like and dislike movies.

Spacey’s character didn’t murder or rape the Linney character.

At this level, as I said to my wife as we turned in for the night, the film worked to show how police, prosecutors, the media etc can reach the wrong verdict when they are lazy and enter a case with preconceived notions. Happened in England too with those unjustly convicted of various IRA bombings in the 80s.

That’s the other things about the majority of the reviews, which tend to be, if you notice, rather too much in love with themselves, their muse and their caustic wit*. They don’t sufficiently (if at all) appreciate the merits of the film on other levels: the disintegration of a man, the pain of a father, and the afore-mentioned ease with which miscarriages of justice can take place in certain circumstances.

For a review that is more in line with my own thinking, try the review by James Berardinelli. [Look under “L” for “Life of David Gale, The”.]

• Ebert thundering from his pulpit is a prime example: “Let it be said this movie is about as corrupt, intellectually bankrupt and morally dishonest as it could possibly be without David Gale actually hiring himself out as a joker at the court of Saddam Hussein.” He doesn’t typically descend to this kind of thing.

Irrelevent. He went out of his way to make it seem like he did. The only way this could be analogous to real-life situations is if you believe everybody on Death Row put effort into covering up their innocence.

I find that situation highly unlikely.