The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 01-15-2005, 12:20 AM

is there any way to stop police harassment?

i live in a fairly small town in massachusetts. i had a few minor run ins with the police and all well over a year ago. don't get the wrong idea about me, i'm no criminal and have never been arrested. although i did get pc'd due to drinking too much. anyway since then the police have weekly come by my house stopped right in front and shined their spotlights that are attached to their side mirrors right i my front window. its always late at night and since i don't sleep nights i'm always up to see it. i'm so fired up because it happened again tonight at 1am. i called the police station and said why would they come by shine their light in my window only and then take off when they realize i see them. the cop who answered the phone says. uh...i don't know nothing going on over there so i don't know why they did that. i said is there someone who does know. he says...no. so what do i do. i've been told to get a lawyer but in a lot of ways it seems that i would be getting myself into more trouble and be gaining a lot more enemies on the police force. but i feel so harassed and violated to the point that i want to move. is there any other option besides moving? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! thanks
-jen
Advertisements  
Old 01-15-2005, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Without knowing you, I'd say you're doing something to attract attention to yourself. You may say you're not but the police say otherwise. It may be some activity, habit, association, tendency, affiliation, whatever. Stopping what ever it is will stop the late night police visits. They're doing what they're doing for a reason.

Sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:41 AM

Um, go outside and talk to the officers?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:43 AM
BANNED

And take your gun with you. And an open bottle of liquor.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:47 AM

I disagree. Small-town cops love to harrass people when they have nothing else to do, in my experience. I've been the victim of this before. Usually seems to be a power-trip thing. I think assuming that police only bother those who are doing something wrong is a dangerous thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv
It may be some activity, habit, association, tendency, affiliation, whatever. Stopping what ever it is will stop the late night police visits. They're doing what they're doing for a reason.
What if what he is doing is completely legal and/or innocent? He/she has no duty to stop this because it puts a stick up some cop's ass. If he is not breaking the law, he has a right/regulated priviledge to be free of harassment.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:49 AM

i'm not in denial or anything else and by association or otherwise i'm not bringing this on myself. i'm 3 months pregnant do not drink the incidents i had like i said were over a year ago. my b/f works nights and i stay home with my son. no loud music etc. no reason for them to be doing this. and in reponce to another comment as soon as i look out the window they take off. if they stayed i would go talk to them of couse...but they don't. its a small town seems like they got nothing better to do than harass people. and they get away with it. its not right. what actions can i personally take to resolve this?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalGabe
I disagree. Small-town cops love to harrass people when they have nothing else to do, in my experience. I've been the victim of this before. Usually seems to be a power-trip thing. I think assuming that police only bother those who are doing something wrong is a dangerous thing.

What if what he is doing is completely legal and/or innocent? He/she has no duty to stop this because it puts a stick up some cop's ass. If he is not breaking the law, he has a right/regulated priviledge to be free of harassment.

thank you
Old 01-15-2005, 12:50 AM

Try getting it on video tape multiple times with the date showing. Then talk to a lawyer or the local ACLU.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv
Without knowing you, I'd say you're doing something to attract attention to yourself. You may say you're not but the police say otherwise. It may be some activity, habit, association, tendency, affiliation, whatever. Stopping what ever it is will stop the late night police visits. They're doing what they're doing for a reason.

Sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear.
i'm sorry your so niave. not to be mean. its just that if you think cops harass only people that deserve it you are so wrong.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe
Try getting it on video tape multiple times with the date showing. Then talk to a lawyer or the local ACLU.
thank you i'm thinking of doing just that, um only thing i'm unsure is aclu?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:04 AM

Run into the police station with a chocolate gun to give the cops as a present, be sure to keep it inside your coat at first so it surprises them. Then pull it out quickly and go, "Here ya go, BANG!"
Old 01-15-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde
Run into the police station with a chocolate gun to give the cops as a present, be sure to keep it inside your coat at first so it surprises them. Then pull it out quickly and go, "Here ya go, BANG!"
you try it first tell me how it goes
Old 01-15-2005, 01:17 AM
BANNED

Is there any possibility that your previous self-described "run-ins" involved anybody in addition to yourself? In other words, is there any chance that the cops are hoping to find somebody else that they think might be hanging around with you?

Alternatively, is there any chance the cops don't even know you and are just on patrol? I've seen cops drive down streets slowly shining their spots into alleys, behind bushes etc. just to see if anybody's hiding. Are you sure they're only stopping at your house? And even then, if your house is the only one on your block with lights on late at night, that might cause them to drive by and see if anything untoward is going on.

Apparently they haven't said anything to you, they haven't looked for excuses to write parking tickets on you, they're not following you down the street. Maybe you could choose to feel more secure that the cops are keeping an eye on your house and just not worry about it.

Also, aclu is the American Civil Liberties Union. They help victims of real government harassment, which your situation maybe isn't.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewitness
Is there any possibility that your previous self-described "run-ins" involved anybody in addition to yourself? In other words, is there any chance that the cops are hoping to find somebody else that they think might be hanging around with you?

Alternatively, is there any chance the cops don't even know you and are just on patrol? I've seen cops drive down streets slowly shining their spots into alleys, behind bushes etc. just to see if anybody's hiding. Are you sure they're only stopping at your house? And even then, if your house is the only one on your block with lights on late at night, that might cause them to drive by and see if anything untoward is going on.

Apparently they haven't said anything to you, they haven't looked for excuses to write parking tickets on you, they're not following you down the street. Maybe you could choose to feel more secure that the cops are keeping an eye on your house and just not worry about it.

Also, aclu is the American Civil Liberties Union. They help victims of real government harassment, which your situation maybe isn't.

no i wasn't with anybody when i had the run-ins. maybe i should clarify what they are. a bar fight and another time i was pc'd for drinking and driving which i regret and am not proud of. yes i am sure i am the only house. but you have a valid point my house is the only one with the lights on at night. but it shouldn't give them a reason to one disturb me every week and two not answer my questions as to why they are coming by when i call the station. ty for clearing up that aclu thing too
Old 01-15-2005, 01:37 AM

If you suspect you're being harrassed, I would suggest you keep a journal of events. Jot down the date and time when this happens, and exactly what they are doing. I wonder if there is any way for you to identify the exact patrol car when it occurs? I don't know if they have any identifiers, like numbers on the side, or if you could even see that from your window. Videotaping or taking pictures wouldn't be a bad idea, either, if they will turn out under those lighting conditions.

Anyway, if you're jotting down the exact information, I imagine if it came down to it, you could track down which officers are doing this. Additionally, a pattern might emerge.

Does your boyfriend know about this? Does he have any particular opinion on why this might be happening?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hathaway
If you suspect you're being harrassed, I would suggest you keep a journal of events. Jot down the date and time when this happens, and exactly what they are doing. I wonder if there is any way for you to identify the exact patrol car when it occurs? I don't know if they have any identifiers, like numbers on the side, or if you could even see that from your window. Videotaping or taking pictures wouldn't be a bad idea, either, if they will turn out under those lighting conditions.

Anyway, if you're jotting down the exact information, I imagine if it came down to it, you could track down which officers are doing this. Additionally, a pattern might emerge.

Does your boyfriend know about this? Does he have any particular opinion on why this might be happening?
i call my b/f eveytime it happens he actually suggested the same thing jotting down the date and time. i did that tonight and will continue to but all the other times it happened i didn't write it down . i got to first fit a camcorder into the budget. i don't own one. but i will definately be keeping a log from now on. i'm just not sure where to go from there. i'm afraid if i "rock the boat" i set myself up for more harassment
Old 01-15-2005, 01:49 AM

i appreciate the responces from everyone thank you
Old 01-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

No, I stand by what I said. Something is making the police watch you over all the other people in your town. And I'm no friend of the police, either. Everytime I've had troube with the cops, its something I'm doing or have done. When I said 'they're doing what they're doing for a reason', I mean some reason. It doesn't need to be legitimate or right. It might be that you have a past, are friends with people the cops have their eye on, you dress like a gangster, are up during the night, your boyfirend is up to something, are checking up on the towns arrestees, anything.

The question was 'Is there a way to stop police harassment.'
They can always say they're conducting 'prowler checks', by the way.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 AM

Next time they come, go out to the car and ask them to knock it off. Shining a spotlight into someone's house in the middle of the night likely violates some ordinance or another.

Get the car # or license #, call the police and ask them why car # x has been shining a spotlight into your house in the middle of the night. You don't need a camcorder, just pen & paper. If they are unresponsive, go up the ladder to the police commissioner, mayor, city council, State Attorney General, etc.

The police are not God, and you don't have to let them harass you.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:41 AM

Shine a big lamp back at them.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:12 AM

Do they only shine the light at your house when your boyfriend is away? Maybe they are hoping to come by one night, and find you asleep and alone? This has some ominous overtones IMO. Be careful.

Document, document, document. I wouldn't confront them directly when alone. Maybe you could get a reputable (as in no record with the law) friend to come by and witness this with you, and get them to write down, date and sign what they witnessed? Have them park their car away from your house. After you've got a pattern documented, consult a lawyer that works with the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union.) and get this stopped. I'm not sure moving will put a stop to this, unless you leave town.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:16 AM

Key West, FL citizens got so tired of their asshole cops they formed their own Citizen's Review Board:

http://www.keywestcity.com/agenda/cr...s%20061704.pdf
Old 01-15-2005, 06:00 AM

My experience with small town cops is that they have enough to do without wasting time harrasing people.

There are of course exceptions, and it may be that the cop is just an asshole.

On the other hand, maybe it's you.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:08 AM

My suggestion would be to go to the Police Station and speak to a supervisor. Don't be confrontational (you can get to that stage later, if necessary). Explain what is happening, and ask him or her to find out what is going on. Tell the supervisor that you want to assist the police if they are looking for something specific, but explain that the spotlight every night is disturbing you.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer and it continues, then file a formal complaint with the Department.

If that still doesn't do it, then the ACLU may be the way to go.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabali_Clawbane
Do they only shine the light at your house when your boyfriend is away? Maybe they are hoping to come by one night, and find you asleep and alone? This has some ominous overtones IMO. Be careful.
When I read the OP I thought it sounded like creepy, stalkerish behavior too. The things you did are so minor I can't think of any other reason they could be doing this. Even in a small town there are many more interesting people they could be watching.

First thing you should do is get some window coverings, even if you weren't having this problem no one should be able to lurk around outside your house and tell when you're alone. Once the window coverings are up you can peek at the police car without them seeing you and see how long they actually stick around if they can't see you. Get some binoculars so you can read the car number and maybe see who is in the car. This gives you more information to report if you decide to go that way.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:23 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding! And the prize goes to Badge. Best advice in the thread.

I've had to assist clients (IAAL) a few times each year with police complaints, and once on my own behalf (an officer was making threats against me because I garnished his wages). Every time the shift supervisor was able to effectively deal with the problem, either by satisfactorily explaining why the behaviour was reasonable, or by having the officer stop the inapppropriate behaviour. An open and frank discussion with the shift supervisor is the best place to start, and hopefully (and probably) will save you from having to wratchet up the conflict through a formal complaint or private charge.

If such a conversation does not solve the problem, then do the notes/video/witness thing and retain a criminal lawyer who knows the officers in town.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:47 AM

Ditto on what Badge said. The shift commander/patrol Sgt. etc. is the person to see. That doesn't work, go on up the ladder to the Chief. Take it as high as the highest public official in your area before you take it to the ACLU. Trust me.

You think the cops are assholes now, wait until you sic the ACLU lawyers on 'em.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewitness
That's what I was thinkingt oo? Wasn't there some poster not long a ago who had an unusual run in with police because someone they didn't know had listed them as THE person to contact. The the bad guy skipped out on bail and was wanted.

I don't remember who posted it, but it was something really random. They had no idea who the wanted person was but the police were coming by their place looking for him.

Or they could just be a pair of uniformed doofuses, who have an established pattern of doofus behaviour and their superior don't know what they're up to.

I would sent a nice friendly note that says something along the lines of "I appreciate the regular patrols that keep our neighbourhoods safe, but as I am pregnant and my delicate physical condition requires me to get a compelte night's rest, is it possible to refrain from shining the light into our house? It has occured on this, that, and the other nights, and is a bit excessive."

That way you establish that there has been a pattern, you'd like it to stop, but you're also not saying "tell the doofuses to knock it off". You want it to look like a legitimate concern not complaint. And if you word it juuuuuust so, you can get the supervisor thinking that, in the interest of avoiding liability, the doofuses should knock it off. They shouldn't be harassing a pregnant woman and the shtuff will hit the fan if anything happens.

A friendly-but-official notificiation may do better at this point. If they' just being a pair of dumbasses just being idiots for shits-n-giggles, all should be okay 'cause their boss will tell them off. If it continues or escalates, then it's serious harassment you'll know it and then you should get a lawyer involved.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:58 AM

...grumble grumble...

Of course Badge gets the best advice award. Damn cops and them being knowledgeable about... other police affairs.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:56 AM

We used to have quite a bit of police harrassment in town. Then someone went to the town council and complained. The newspaper reported it. More people complained. More coverage by the newspaper. A petition was circulated. Letters to the editor were written. The town council appointed an outside investigator to check out the situation. The chief and three officers resigned.

It took about five months from start to finish, but currently we have a police department to be proud of and it all started with one man getting up in front of the town council and speaking out.

I know it is hokey to say, but I was very proud to be a citizen of this country.

TV
Old 01-15-2005, 02:00 PM

Some people see a police officer and feel safe knowing they're around. Other people see an officer and fear he's there to persecute them.

I think you can tell a lot about a person based on this attitude.

For one thing, people with the wrong attitude tend to have a history of oh, I dunno getting picked up for drinking and driving, or maybe bar fights. Or maybe other things that don't pop to the surface immediately.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill H.
For one thing, people with the wrong attitude tend to have a history of oh, I dunno getting picked up for drinking and driving, or maybe bar fights. Or maybe other things that don't pop to the surface immediately.
Because noone has ever legitimately suffered from police harassment right? We all know that those immigrants who fled their country just like to whine about being persecuted. And of course, no american police department has ever has systematic problems.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Some people see a police officer and feel safe knowing they're around. Other people see an officer and fear he's there to persecute them.

I think you can tell a lot about a person based on this attitude.

Or maybe people go through wild periods, where they are young, and think they are invincible, during which they make mistakes? Maybe these same people realize that doing such things won't help them thrive, so they decide to clean up their act? She's pregnant, and giving the benefit of the doubt, I'd say she's settling into a responsible adult life now, and thus the activity by the police is unwarrented.

Not all police officers are like this, and such things can be found anywhere. Just because the person might have made mistakes and broken laws or ordinances does not give those who uphold the law the right to take on the role of "Fury". This isn't the society portrayed by "Les Miserabe", and such hounding shouldn't be condoned.

tangental anecdote/

I've seen small town police give unwarrented attentions, I've personally experienced it post 9/11. I was stopped on my apartment building doorstep, key in hand and asked what I was doing. (Which is one block from the police station, and due to the fact that I had a restraining order in place that I had to get police help to enforce, I'm fairly certain my residency was established there.) I was followed all around town as I paid my bills just because me and my (then) fiance wore dark clothes. (No, no outlandish make-up or jewelry, just dark jeans and t-shirts. It was chilly, so coats were needed.) I wore a flannel lined blue jean jacket, and he had on a brown Calvin Klein trench coat, (Christmas gift from his mom) that he wore because he felt it was less drafty than a regular coat. This was October first at midday, and we couldn't help but notice as we walked to cash my check, then go pay the bills/shop, that the same police officer would be nearby, often parked, watching us. After the third location, and well over an hour due to some shopping, we figured it was safe to assume that he was watching us. It was a creepy feeling.

Before you say "trench coat" means suspicious, know that this is a VERY small town, and his mother was a teacher for the "disruptive" middle school students, and was on a first name basis with the police force, and that they also knew who he was by sight. He had no (notable) criminal record, only a city ordinance violation. (Curfew at age 16)

Also, before you say "How do you know it was your dark clothes, etc." realize that there were several people in the school district speaking out against "goths". (The "anti-goths" were outnumbered by people who didn't agree with them, but these people weren't as vociferous and so got shouted down. It's not so much the town as a whole, as a faction in the town.) One of them said people who wear black are evil, that the color black is evil and all goths are satanists, and tried to forbid the students from wearing black. (This man recently got elected to office and manages the school system) The youth liason officer (it's called the D.A.R.E. program here) told the children that goths are evil, and violent drug users among other things.

This is directly quoting an intelligent middle school girl (friend's daughter) who had just heard the officer speak. Also, my mother-in-law herself heard some of the things this person said about goths, and was indignant over it. I think it was part of the super paranoia just after 9/11, because we hadn't had a problem like that before, and after the one year anniversary it tapered off, and now were are pretty much "citizens" again.

My husband decided to just wear black jeans and black t-shirts so that there would be no mistaking him for a "gang" member. (Yes, this town has "Crips" and "Bloods", though I suspect they aren't on par with the big city gang bangers, it's still best to just steer clear of them.) At that time, all he owned was black jeans and black t-shirts, except for his suit. I've always liked dark, or vibrant colors, and that day I just grabbed one of my favorite print t-shirts, and jeans to match.

/tangental anecdote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:03 PM

thank you all for the wonderful advice. bill h..... don't be so quick to judge people, its not right. i made it clear i am no criminal. take it or leave it, believe it or don't but i was asking for advice not for you to analize the type of person i am. your wrong about me and people in general. i shouldn't have to justify myself to such close minded people.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:39 PM

I think they got reports of a shift key missing from your keyboard and are investigating.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 AM

What town? Ware?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:53 AM

daydreamer23 wrote
Quote:
bill h..... don't be so quick to judge people, its not right. i made it clear i am no criminal. take it or leave it, believe it or don't but i was asking for advice not for you to analize the type of person i am. your wrong about me and people in general. i shouldn't have to justify myself to such close minded people.
I think you may find my initial advice (at the top of this thread) has merit and is worth considering.

If you take the attitude that the police are there to protect you, and go outside and greet them, ask them if there's anything they're concerned about, and thank them for their attention to your safety, I believe you'll find they're good people who are just doing their job. If you position yourself as one who is law-abiding and police-friendly, you'll find that they will treat you likewise. If on the other hand, you call in to headquarters and ask why you're being harassed, that you're positioning yourself as anti-police and suspect, and you'll be treated as such.

Just something to think about.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Start documenting the dates and times the police cars are doing this. Get identifying numbers from the car if possible (look on the sides or the license plates). Once you've got information about several incidents take it to the police station and report it to a supervisor. A general complaint that "the cops are harassing me" is easy to ignore; a specific complaint with details will be investigated.

If there's no good reason for the police to be crusing past your house, the supervisors will tell these guys to knock it off and get back to doing their real work. If there is a good reason for them to be doing this (and no offense but I don't know you) then you won't have lost anything. If there's no good reason for them to do it and they keep on doing it anyway, you'll have a stronger case when you go to an outside agency (like the ACLU or local media) with your complaint.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treis
I think they got reports of a shift key missing from your keyboard and are investigating.
I agree, it obviously is a CAPITAL letter offense.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2263
First thing you should do is get some window covering . . .
As Badge has already given good solid advice, my first advice (tongue-in-cheek) would be to cover your windows with tin foil as a two-fold solution: It would act as a partial mirror and help reflect that light back into the offending officer's face, and it would also help block those telepathetic thoughts the goverment may be sending your way.

Given that I'm not sure we're hearing the whole story, I have to respectfully ask one question. Are you sure it's a "black and white" that's shining a light into your house? I mean, after a year, it would seem to get old after awhile. Are you positive it's the police and not someone else? Is there someone your boyfriend knows that is just trying to harass him, and may go to such lengths? It's been a year, and you were (pardon the pun) lit up for pretty damned minor offenses. Small town or not, this doesn't smell like a totally logical situation.

But, Badge does have a point.

Tripler
Just trying to shine an alternate light on the problem.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:30 AM

Quote:
If you take the attitude that the police are there to protect you, and go outside and greet them,
I think you can get shot for doing this in several major cities.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler
As Badge has already given good solid advice, my first advice (tongue-in-cheek) would be to cover your windows with tin foil as a two-fold solution: It would act as a partial mirror and help reflect that light back into the offending officer's face, and it would also help block those telepathetic thoughts the goverment may be sending your way.

Given that I'm not sure we're hearing the whole story, I have to respectfully ask one question. Are you sure it's a "black and white" that's shining a light into your house? I mean, after a year, it would seem to get old after awhile. Are you positive it's the police and not someone else? Is there someone your boyfriend knows that is just trying to harass him, and may go to such lengths? It's been a year, and you were (pardon the pun) lit up for pretty damned minor offenses. Small town or not, this doesn't smell like a totally logical situation.

But, Badge does have a point.

Tripler
Just trying to shine an alternate light on the problem.

yes i'm sure it was a cop car each time. my computer is right next to the window and it's where i usually spend my time at night so i almost always see them. i can see that its a cop car clearly but when i look for the plate # or car # they take off. it is the whole story and i've anwsered all questions asked. the only other thing which may be worth saying is the night i was pc'd i told one cop off pretty bad. maybe he's holding a grudge i don't know?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essvee
What town? Ware?
mattapoisett, massachusetts
Old 01-16-2005, 03:39 AM

ok... to be making jokes at my expense because of my typing skills it's right. i got my point across that's all that's important(you know who you are). and while i did get some wonderful and very useful advice which i will use, i'm getting a little down reading some responses because i think a few of you are getting the wrong idea about me. i'm not paranoid, i don't think it's a goverment conspiracy, and i'm not bringing this on myself. my point is i'll take the advice i got and which i am thankful for but i won't be checking this post anymore. unfortunately i take things to heart and it gets to me. so unless you guys want to talk amongst yourselves here there's no point in leaving anymore advice because i will not see it. thank you anyways.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer23
mattapoisett, massachusetts
Do I ever feel bad for you. Must take forever when you're filling out all of those forms.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:00 PM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

Don't call. Go in to the police station during the daytime. Explain the situation in an understanding manner, ie. not "I'm being harassed!" but rather "I'm concerned about these late-night visits and they're interfering with my day to day life." Be patient and not quick to judge. Make sure to ask to speak to a shift sergeant (politely) and be willing to wait a little bit for him/her to arrive if he/she is currently on patrol. Give specific examples.

Most shift sergeants have gotten to that position because they have a fairly level head. Come across not as a threat but as a concerned citizen. Lots of police officers, particularly those new to the force, can become over-zealous.

Even though you don't have the plate numbers, get a specific time and place and (especially in smaller towns) they can usually whittle it down to a few officers who might have been there. When I worked for the police department, police officers were logged for every trip or stop they went on (lunch, etc.) and those records could be reviewed. Heck, some places even have GPS positioning in the cars.

The key is not to come across as looking to sue or to cause a problem before you give them a chance to address the situation. Come in shouting "you po-po's are harassing me!" and they'll draw ranks faster than you can believe. Police officers put up with a lot of guff and grief. Be reasonable and 90% of them are reasonable back.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:06 PM

fluiddruid, those are some good points. Maybe that approach will work. It's still needful to document when the events happen in order to do that.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer23
ok... to be making jokes at my expense because of my typing skills it's right. i got my point across that's all that's important(you know who you are).
Actually, that's not all that's important. Seriously, it's nothing personal, but this board has VERY high standards when it comes to basic grammar, punctuation, and we're absolutely anal on the subject of "chat speak." I think what people are trying to say is that people here will respond more positively if you make an effort to type properly. (And if you're a poor speller, like me, at least admit it, and don't get upset when people point this out).

Just some friendly advice.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:
BillH. said:
I generally have the attitude that they're paying attention to me to harass me, and I've never been arrested for anything in my life. I have, however, been harassed by cops for doing things like walking home to my apartment from a friend's apartment at an hour they found to be too late in the night. I was completely sober at the time, too. I was harassed in my younger days in my home town because I was the noted atheist and I dressed 'weird' for a kid from rural Pennsylvania.

Small town cops sometimes use their badge to exercise their bigotry.

Quote:
If you take the attitude that the police are there to protect you, and go outside and greet them, ask them if there's anything they're concerned about, and thank them for their attention to your safety, I believe you'll find they're good people who are just doing their job.
It's hard to do that if they take off as soon as they realize they've been noticed. I doubt we can take the fact that they are 'good people' for granted.

Quote:
Guinastasia said:
I think what people are trying to say is that people here will respond more positively if you make an effort to type properly.
Even the use of capital letters and a period at the end of a sentence does a lot for our standards.