Does drinking orange juice prolong an acid trip?

My husband told me this today. Not because we’re doing acid, but because there was a rather trippy Sunny Delight commercial on, which elicited a comment from him about Sunny D, orange juice and acid. Specifically, that if you drink orange juice when tripping on LSD (more specifically, when coming down off the trip), the trip is extended. He claims it has to do with the citric acid in the orange juice. I’m betting that acidheads got a little too creative and excited over the word acid and the whole thing’s bunk.

But, not being an acid user myself, I really don’t know.

Snopes didn’t reveal any answers (though there’s an amusing, false, urban legend about a boy who thought he *became *orange juice on LSD), so I turn to the Dopers.

Quite the contrary - ascorbic acid and nicotinic acid have both been recommended at various times to ameliorate the effects of acid.

from here

I’ve heard that about ectasy not acid. But i don’t u se drugs either so i’m not sure

No.

Interestingly enough, there’s an opposing camp that believes that drinking orange juice will help to bring someone down from an LSD experience.

Both beliefs are equally silly.

Perhaps not so silly if you are a cat anyway.

::does immature happy dance:: Yay! I was right! I was right!

ahem

Thank you, now I won’t have to do that to my husband. :smiley: It’s the little things that make a marriage work.

I remember Bob Gannon being given orange juice, perhaps with something in it to bring him down. Can’t find the text, darn it.

http://www.lysergia.com/FeedYourHead/lsdMagazines.htm#Popular Science

Considering how suggestible people are when tripping the belief that orange juice will bring one down always seemed a handy one to have – if having bad trip add orange juice and either it will really work or the belief that it works will have the same effect. Not that I’d know of course.

Just as an example how these things get changed around, I was told that cranberry juice helped bring you down from a trip.

Is there a name for how things like this get perpetuated and changed over time and distance?

I was told this more times than I can count. I was also told the same for taking E, that OJ would prolong the effect. After much experimentation I can report that I never noticed a longer or stronger trip after taking drugs and drinking orange juice.

Forget “my post is my cite” - there’s a man who’s *username *is his cite! :smiley:

LSD, even though it’s called “acid,” is somewhat basic because it’s an amide. Some basic drugs are eliminated faster from the body if you acidify the urine, but I’m afraid I don’t know whether LSD is one of them or whether orange juice really acidifies the urine enough to matter. So it’s possible that orange juice would actually shorten an acid trip, but probably not as much as watching C-SPAN. Same goes for ecstasy, AFAIK. If you ever need a guinea pig to probe this question, give me a holler.

For Historical contrast purposes, the UL the circulated in my day (late 80’s) was that Vitamin C would make the visual hallucinations sharper and more pronounced during an acid trip, and that Niacin was the thing to short circuit a bad trip.