The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Eve Eve is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Born in 1905 and deserve postage stamps, dammit!

If I were in charge of the US Post office, these 100-year-birthdays would be marked with postage stamps for 2005!

Anna May Wong
Ayn Rand
Thelma Ritter
Harold Arlen
Joseph Cotton
Henry Fonda
Lillian Hellman
Clara Bow
Thelma Todd
Dag Hammarskjöld
Myrna Loy
Dolores del Rio
Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson
Greta Garbo
Agnes de Mille
Jule Styne

and last but far from least,

Harriet MacGibbon (Mrs. Drysdale!)
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 01-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Skywatcher Skywatcher is offline
Uncharted
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 26,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
Henry Fonda
May 16th
Quote:
Greta Garbo
September 23rd (no image yet)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Skywatcher Skywatcher is offline
Uncharted
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 26,829
One not on your list: Robert Penn Warren, April 22nd.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Eve Eve is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Well, at least they got a couple right, but, dammit, no Clara Bow, Thelma Ritter or Mrs. Drysdale stamps? Who wouldn't want them on their letters?!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2005, 04:30 PM
42fish 42fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
If I were in charge of the US Post office, these 100-year-birthdays would be marked with postage stamps for 2005!
The Post Office has already issued commemoratives for some of these.


Quote:
Ayn Rand
Honored in 1999 (or maybe 1998) as part of the Literary Arts series.

Quote:
Harold Arlen
Included in a 1995 (year may be off) block of 4 honoring American songwriters (along with Johnny Mercer, Dorothy Fields and Hoagy Charmichael)

Quote:
Clara Bow
Included in a 'Stars of the Silent Screen' booklet of 10 issued in the late 80s or early 90s (Other featured stars included Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Rudolph Valentino and John Gilbert)

Quote:
Dag Hammarskjöld
Featured on a commemorative the year after his death (1962?)


Quote:
Agnes de Mille
Included last year in an 'American Choreographers' strip of 4 (or maybe 5)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Tapioca Dextrin Tapioca Dextrin is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Staring blankly at my GPS
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
If I were in charge of the US Post office, these 100-year-birthdays would be marked with postage stamps for 2005!

Ayn Rand
I'm not sure Ms. Rand and her acolytes would be to pleased with her face being on a Government issued stamp
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2005, 04:48 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
The fact is that the "Legends of Hollywood" issues are big PR opportunities as well as huge events for collectors, so the USPS is very discretionary about their issue strategy--one a year (note that the Garbo issue is in conjunction with a mirror issue from the Swedish post office and not part of the LoH series).

I'm impressed that they Edward G. Robinson come out as one of the first honorees. And they're not about to do Anna May Wong when they haven't even gotten to Bette Davis or Jimmy Stewart yet (though last year's Wayne issue was a waste--he already had one!)

Styne will get one soon, primarily because everyone else already has one (Yip Harburg is this year), and if Robert Penn Warren gets one (also this year), than Hellman's overdue. But, again, in time (though I wouldn't hold my breath on MacGibbon, even if they issues a BH "Classic TV Series" stamp).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2005, 04:49 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Dextrin
I'm not sure Ms. Rand and her acolytes would be to pleased with her face being on a Government issued stamp
Maybe not, it's a pretty cool looking stamp.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Walloon Walloon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: America's Dairyland
Posts: 12,780
The Harold Arlen stamp.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Walloon Walloon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: America's Dairyland
Posts: 12,780
The Agnes de Mille stamp.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Beware of Doug Beware of Doug is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
I nominate Tom Coakley, undoubtedly the only person ever to have been both a name band leader and a federal judge.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Tapioca Dextrin Tapioca Dextrin is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Staring blankly at my GPS
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Dextrin
I'm not sure Ms. Rand and her acolytes would be to pleased with her face being on a Government issued stamp
Of course, as normal, I was completely wrong. Those pesky objectionists are just as caught up in the glitzy Hollywood world of the USPS as us normal folks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-21-2005, 05:31 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Clara Bow
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-21-2005, 06:20 PM
stuyguy stuyguy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
I know I'm gonna be dragged to the Pit for saying this, but I hate all these damn popularity-contest postage stamps! There's a great line in Citizen Kane: "You buy a bag of peanuts in this town, they write a song about you." Well these days, they print a stamp with your face on it.

Me, I loved the monocromatic, raised-ink stamps of old, usually bearing faces of dead white guys. You looked at those stamps and you knew the economy was as solid as the chasis of the '57 Caddy that was in your 2-car garage. Now our stamps look like they've been issued by a 6-month-old banana republic whose economy is based on drugs, bat guano and the vending machine in the airport waiting room. And postage stamps.

Anyway, Eve, if you really want a stamp of that Mrs. Drysdale gal, make your own. A few months ago there was a website that enabled you to create your own honest-to-goodness US postage stamps with whatever image you supplied. Of course, the process cost more than .37 per stamp. It may have been a trial program, so I don't know if it's still being offered. (I think there was a thread about it, so you may want to search the boards for more info.)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2005, 06:40 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuyguy
I know I'm gonna be dragged to the Pit for saying this, but I hate all these damn popularity-contest postage stamps! There's a great line in Citizen Kane: "You buy a bag of peanuts in this town, they write a song about you." Well these days, they print a stamp with your face on it.
You're more right than you know.
Quote:
Me, I loved the monocromatic, raised-ink stamps of old, usually bearing faces of dead white guys. You looked at those stamps and you knew the economy was as solid as the chasis of the '57 Caddy that was in your 2-car garage. Now our stamps look like they've been issued by a 6-month-old banana republic whose economy is based on drugs, bat guano and the vending machine in the airport waiting room. And postage stamps.
:Sniff: Here you go. For old time's sake. Oh, and for comparison, some Banana Republic stamps. Wow, I do see a difference.
Quote:
Anyway, Eve, if you really want a stamp of that Mrs. Drysdale gal, make your own. A few months ago there was a website that enabled you to create your own honest-to-goodness US postage stamps with whatever image you supplied. Of course, the process cost more than .37 per stamp. It may have been a trial program, so I don't know if it's still being offered. (I think there was a thread about it, so you may want to search the boards for more info.)
What you're describing sounds incredibly illegal. Not that it hasn't been tried.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-21-2005, 06:43 PM
chukhung chukhung is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuyguy
It may have been a trial program, so I don't know if it's still being offered. (I think there was a thread about it, so you may want to search the boards for more info.)
I believe that trial is now over and I'm not sure when, if ever, it will be restarted.

While the program was still running, the folks at The Smoking Gun were able to print out valid U.S. postage featuring photos of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, Slobodan Milosevic, and Ted Kaczynski, among others. The article is here.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Skywatcher Skywatcher is offline
Uncharted
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 26,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiveGuy
What you're describing sounds incredibly illegal. Not that it hasn't been tried.
Hell, some artists have been known to draw postage right on the envelopes. One of my sisters went to college with a guy like that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukhung
I believe that trial is now over and I'm not sure when, if ever, it will be restarted.

While the program was still running, the folks at The Smoking Gun were able to print out valid U.S. postage featuring photos of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, Slobodan Milosevic, and Ted Kaczynski, among others. The article is here.
LOL! That's hilarious (in a genuinely twisted way). Here's a follow-up article. It looks like they may have come to a decision by now...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Eve Eve is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42fish
The Post Office has already issued commemoratives for some of these . . . Included in a 'Stars of the Silent Screen' booklet of 10 issued in the late 80s or early 90s . . .
1994. That was the most godawful travesty . . . I don't think Al Hirschfeld even looked at any photos of the people he was caricaturing.

I think we should start campaigning now for a Dowagers Commemorative Issue: Margaret Dumont, Mrs. Drysdale, Marie Dressler, Norma Varden, Louise Closser Hale . . .
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
1994. That was the most godawful travesty . . . I don't think Al Hirschfeld even looked at any photos of the people he was caricaturing.
Hmmm.

Zasu Pitts.
Clara Bow
John Gilbert
Theda Bara

:Shrugs: They look OK to me (though I'll give you the bizarre Valentino, plus the Chaplin could be better).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Revtim Revtim is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
FYI, this link will make a list of all people in the IMDB born in 1905.
http://www.imdb.com/BornInYear?1905

You can change the 1905 in the URL to any year to get the folks born in whatever year you want. Useful for seeing who was born in the same year as you were.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.