Speeded-up MP3s

Last night I decided to move some MP3 files from one PC to another.

They’re networked, so I simply copied the files from their folder on PC#1 to a folder on PC#2.

This worked fine, the files were all the same size in their new folder, but when I tried to play one through Media Player it was as though they were playing at a slightly faster rate than on the original PC.

Almost but not quite like playing a 33 1/3 RPM record at 45 RPM…basically the vocals sounded like the singers had taken a hit of helium!

I went back to PC#1 and played one of the files from the new PC over the LAN and it came out correctly, so the problem has got to be a setting on PC#2, but I’ll be damned if I can find anything different than on PC#1.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You sure you weren’t just listening to Rush? :wink:

Exactly the same thing happened to me the other day. It was particularly amusing trying to use Skype, since the people I was talking sounded like chipmunks, while they heard me sounding like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

Turned out I merely had the wrong driver for my sound card. Maybe attempt to upgrade?

Rush! Thanks! That was great…

I’ll check out the drivers, I didn’t even think of that. I was concentrating on the Media Player settings etc…

Thanks for the suggestion!

Steve

Is your sound card an integrated device, perhaps a SoundMax or AD1885?
This is a common problem with certain Dell machines - Dell altered the clock rate to the audio card from whatever the standard is, so only the drivers that come with your system will work - default ones won’t.

I too had this happen, on a Dell Optiplex as a matter of fact. I solved the problem by uninstalling then re-installing the sound card through the Windows control panel.

I actually liked how some of the mp3s sounded when they were sped up 10%. :smiley:

For the record, the computer on which I had this problem was indeed a Dell Optiplex with an integrated SoundMax card.