Ka-BOOM!

I’m not much of a football fan, so I’ve spent a good chunk of this afternoon lazing on the couch, watching Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel.

Ever see it? It’s a hoot. These two Hollywood special effects guys take on various urban legends and myths, and actually field-test them to see if they could be true or not. Like the guy whose wife had poured several different drain cleaners into the toilet, and not knowing this, he’d parked himself on the can, done his business, and just prior to flushing, dropped his lit cigarette butt between his thighs, and…

Yeah. They tested this with an actual toilet and a crash test dummy, although I’m pretty sure nobody ever tried to clean a toilet with gunpowder. They didn’t mind. Judging from their wild cackling and hooting, they were having a fine time.

I know how they feel. Blowin’ stuff up is loads of fun.

As I sit here in the library of Castle Bedlam, typing away, I look at the bookshelves around me. There used to be several tomes on the uses of various explosives. I got rid of my copy of the Anarchist’s Cookbook, as, over the years, I found its information to be inaccurate to the point of dangerousness. One of its recipes, which explains how to make plastic explosive out of household chemical cleaners, is unstable as all hell; they TELL you it won’t blow until it’s dry, but I found out the hard way that they don’t know what they’re talking about; I accidentally blasted a fist-sized hunk of wood out of my dad’s workbench when I was twelve, fooling with a one-square-inch block of the stuff that I thought was safe because it was still wet.

I don’t remember what I told my dad, but he believed me. It was one of those brilliant lies brought on by raw necessity and sheer terror of what he’d do to me if he found out I was mixing explosives in the garage. A shame I couldn’t remember what, exactly, I’d told him… and I never had the guts to ask him about it later…

I used to have a copy of The Poor Man’s James Bond, a much more accurate text on the creation of various illicit chemical compounds. It lacks the drug recipes to be found in the Anarchist’s Cookbook, but I found out, again, the hard way, that most of those were hooey, too; bananadine won’t get you high no matter how much of it you smoke, and eating an entire nutmeg WILL get you high, if your idea of “high” approximates a good, solid, New Years Day hangover. Yeesh. The explosive recipes in *The Poor Man’s James Bond * were spot on, though, and clearly explained in detail the dangers of dinking with explosives, and how to minimize the danger while maximizing the effects. I’ve always regretted loaning TPMJB out; naturally, I never saw it again. sigh

I still have my first book, though… the one that got the whole thing started. Modern Chemical Magic, copyright 1936. Swiped it from the county library when I was ten. It had recipes for making your own fireworks.

Flipping through it now, it amazes me that anyone would ever have written a book like this… a book on how to make and handle explosive compounds, aimed at adolescents. Anyone trying to do that nowadays would be laughed out of any publishing house on the planet, shortly before lawyers were consulted and the Department of Homeland Security was discreetly phoned.

Apparently, though, this stuff was considered good clean fun back in the 1930s.

I grew up in deep south Texas, you see, in the 1970s. This would be kind of like growing up anywhere else would be in the 1950s; it takes things a while to permeate out into the backwaters. As a teenager, my favorite forms of entertainment generally involved drinking lots of beer and getting out of town for a while. These options were not open to me during my late childhood and early adolescence. When Mom kicked me out of the house and told me to go outside and play, it was generally hot, dry, and miserable, and there wasn’t anything to do. What was I supposed to do?

Well… as one’s elders will so often tell one… we made our own fun.

It began with carefully opening up bottle rockets and M-80s, and examining the strange grey-black powder within. Will it explode if you touch a match to it? No, but it does flash up real nice. What would happen if we got a soup can, and FILLED it with the stuff, and…?

We found out about rockets that way. We also learned that if you upended a trash can, it took very little explosive force to split it up the side, and only a little more to make it into an aluminum hula skirt. This is how we learned about tamping charges, you see. Learned a fair bit about metallurgy, too, when we tried it with a steel 55-gallon drum.

We experimented with the mix. We also found it was cheaper to mix our own powder than to buy fireworks; plus, after I found Modern Chemical Magic, we learned ways to increase the potency, and alter the colors of the blast effects, using various powdered chemicals available at any hardware store. It also explained the difference between corned powder and meal powder, which helped us considerably.

We knew of a field not so far away by bicycle, where no one ever seemed to hear the muted explosions or bother us. There was a rusty old-timey washing machine out there that we played with, too. We’d load a charge in a hole, tamp it, and then flip the washing machine over onto it, to see how many foot-pounds of explosive force it took to knock the thing upright. When we got bored with that, we began experimenting with ways to launch the thing entirely into the air. You had to use multiple charges to do that; we never could get one single charge centered quite right, although we sent it hurtling sideways any number of times.

When we finally tore the thing apart one Saturday afternoon, unintentionally, by overloading a charge, I felt the keen sense of sorrow a child feels upon accidentally breaking a favored and beloved toy.

After that, we began stealing manhole covers, to see if we could flip them, and how high we could get them to go.

We made rockets, too. Lightnin’ showed up one afternoon with a handful of Estes rocket engines, the kind model rocketry enthusiasts use to launch their models. We played with them, and concluded that actual rocketry was really kind of dull. You ignite, the rocket goes up, the rocket falls down. Whoopee. Say, what would happen if you aimed the rocket at something?

We tried it. The results weren’t particularly impressive. It did lead to further experiments, though – like, what would happen if the rocket was encased in sheet metal, with a razor blade at the tip?

After it chased us around the back yard, we began designing stabilizer fins and drag rods to make sure it would keep going where it was pointed.

We did research in volumes that would have astonished our teachers, had they known. We dug for information. We compared airfoils. We varied the mixes. We set up control groups and flight tests. We blew shit up right and left. We eventually wound up being able to replicate, without much effort, a rocket that would reliably punch through three-quarter-inch plywood upon impact, although it wasn’t real accurate at ranges beyond forty feet or so, and ghod help you if the flight path was deflected inside the first ten feet of firing range.

We learned that by curling the fins slightly, we could increase the accuracy of a rocket, by imparting a corkscrew spin; although this meant the payload was decreased; it wouldn’t reliably punch through three-quarter-inch plywood, but it would blast through quarter-inch paneling with ease. This led to our development of a man-portable single-shot rocket launcher, constructed from an aluminum tent pole, parts from a plastic toy dart gun, and a nine-volt battery.

After a great many tests, it proved sturdy, reusable, and actually fairly lethal. We glowed with pride. We’d built our first actual usable weapon! Yeah, maybe Billy Ray’s gang, out on South Side, thought slingshots were hot stuff, but we knew better, and we gloated smugly about what we could, conceivably, do to them if they came messin’ with US!

We had our setbacks, of course. We occasionally injured ourselves, usually through carelessness with matches or powder. Candy set himself on fire, once, by forgetting he’d been handling gasoline before trying to light a match, and I’d narrowly avoided the mother of all parental punishments with the aforementioned workbench incident in the garage. Probably worst of all was the time we tried to upgrade the rocket launcher to a clip-fed model, without taking into account what would happen if any sparks backfired into the clip while there were rockets in there. No one was injured, but we did get the crap scared out of us when the clip erupted, launching flaming rudderless rockets every whichway, sending us all diving for cover, damaging the side of Loopy’s shed, setting two small fires, and shattering the back window of his dad’s Caddy.

When the Mythbusters launched their crash test dummy out of an improvised cannon made from a culvert pipe, dirt, and a ten-pound black powder charge, it was like old home week to me. My wife remarked about how they seemed to laugh like loons every time something blew up or caught fire, jumping up and down and throwing their hats.

I said nothing. I knew how they felt, you see. When something you’ve created erupts in fire and thunder and a shower of sparks, you can’t help laughing… which is, perhaps, as good a reason as any for not letting amateurs handle the Thunderbolts of Zeus, y’know?

There’s something to be said for sufficient adult supervision. Learning experiences aren’t always in the classroom…

Both The Poor Man’s James Bond and Modern Chemical Magic are available on Amazon. Expensively, but available. There’s even a sequel to the first book, called The New Improved Poor Man’s James Bond.

Have fun blowing something up. :smiley:

…ohmighod.

I knew about the sequel to TPMJB, but I’m amazed to see Modern Chemical Magic still in print…

At about 10, a friend and I were give a large box of .22 blanks by a neighbor having a garage sale. We found you could hold one in a pair of pliers and hit the back with a hammer and make them go off. This bored us after a short while so using a nail with the hammer, we opened a couple hundred of the blanks. My friend thought it would be cool to make a spiral out of the gun powder so we made on on his father’s brand new garage floor. When we got done the spiral was about 6 feet across, each line about 3 inches apart. You have seen cartoon where gunpowder burns at a nice slow pace? Not true. We decided to light both ends at the same time and watch the gunpowder burn from both ends. While my friend leaned over the spiral of gunpowder to light the center, I was ready to light the outside. The matches touched the gunpowder and WHOOOOM, it all went in about 2 seconds. My friend was jumping around because he burned his arm, we were both blinded by the flash and the garage was suddenly full of smoke.

The burns were superficial, it took a few minutes to see straight again and 10 minutes of fanning with some cardboard cleared the garage of smoke. And the garage floor was left with a spiral burned into the fresh concrete. My friend’s dad wasn’t too impressed with our handiwork but neither of us got in trouble.

Doing this kind of stuff is how I found out that a line of black powder throws a flame about a foot high and the leftover soot is a bitch to clean up, you need a lot hotter fire than you get from regular wood coals to heat a piece of steel up enough to pound it into another shape (charcoal briquettes work, but not well), and that a hunting bow with a 50 lb. pull will penetrate a decent distance through a 3/4 inch board, even with a target point.

It’s amazing that boys ever survive long enough to become men.

M-80’s + 1 1/2" pipe + D cell batteries = mortar.

Aerosal cans intentionally thrown into bonfires.

M-80’s launched with a slingshot in the air above the boyscouts.

Trying to make a zipgun with 22’s.

PVC pipe + gunpowder = huge divots in the lawn to explain to Dad. Not to mention the hunks of shrapnel.

Plastic garbage bags filled with natural gas and propane = never mind, my hair eventually grew back.

Flaming debris falling into the white concrete swimming pool. If you know where to look there is still a stain 20 years later.

I agree it’s amazing that some of us were never killed, maimed or arrested.

Mr. Goob -reminiscing on a misspent youth…

My husband is a firefighter. He works for a large manufacturer of lots of big stuff.
In a simpler time, when cost containment was not in the vocabulary, and “Lazy” was part of the street name for the company, he and his team had a call from a building that housed “mad scientists” or chemical engineers, as they liked to call themselves. You see, an “FNG” had come to join their play. They felt obligated to initiate him in the arcane knowledge they posessed… How to Make Exploding Paper and, feeling especially generous, they used the receipe to make an exploding newspaper, as in the Sunday NY Times. F. New Guy made the paper, one sheet, lots’o chemicals. F. New Guy got bored (or scared) & wanted to move on to something else, but since exploding paper is shock sensitive, he couldn’t put it down, and had to stand VERY still. The entire fire department and two of the most sought after industrial hygienists in the country, pretending to be a bomb squad, (this, because they didn’t want to inform the media, by calling out the real bomb squad) evacuated 500 people, took about 5 hours total to finally blow a hole the size of a mid-sized automobile in the parking lot. They didn’t kill or injure anyone, not even after the paper was safely exploded.
The moral is, if you’re the FNG and your new co-workers say “Wanna try something really cool?” Say no.

I’m kinda glad that fireworks are rare in Canada. I’m sure I would’ve blown myself up if I had access to M-80s and the like.

I knew of Mr. Molotov long before I learned of the Winter war. I too nearly burned down a garage.

Roman candle battles were a fun time of my mispent youth as well.

On a tamer note was the ‘Polish Cannon’. Soup cans with duct tape, rubbing alcohol, a tennis ball, and a pitch black night. It was fun to see the rings of fire left behind by the bouncing flaming orb.

A potato shot from a potato gun will fly right through a fiberglass garage door.

Things I learned about explosives as a kid. . .

The length of time it takes a firecracker fuse to burn is shorter than the length of time it takes me to escape the “blast radius” of a glass coke bottle with a firecracker in it.

The length of time it takes a firecracker fuse to burn is shorter than the length of time it takes me to escape the “blast radius” of a fresh cow patty with a firecracker in it.

One you’ve set off a bottle rocket by waiting for the fuse to almost reach the chamber, and then spinning it into the air like a majorette throws a baton, you’ll never do it another way.

Setting off 100 firecrackers at 100 different times is never as much fun as setting off 100 firecrackers at once.

Yes, you can get a Cobra Rattler (A-10) to fly for brief distances by attaching bottle rockets to all the hardpoints and pinning the wing straight. Admittedly, this will be the last flight it will ever make. If you screw with the fuses right, you can make the pilot eject first. Admittedly, you’ll only get half a pilot back.

If you drill a socket in a baseball bat, you can stick a thumbtack and shotgun shell in it. Find a watermellon. This is MY boom-stick.

It’s not fair to roll glass bottles down hills at people, if they’re full of vinegar and baking soda.

Expensive video cameras with slow-mo replay ROCK.

Electricity is your friend. It lets you etch holes in plastic and score metal.

Cartdboard buildings, matchbox cars, a 6’ inflatable Godzilla and bottle rockets and catherine wheels are good fun for hours and hours of setup and about ten minutes of execution.

You’ll believe a man can fly. Especially with an Estes rocket up his bum. Mego THATWAY.

Attaching rockets at right angles to a propellor blade will not help a model helicopter fly.

Some of us were. A good friend of mine from grade school killed himself this way, in fact. He was making fireworks in the basement of his grandparents’ house; his carelessness caused (a) an explosion that blew off the wall of the two-story structure and (b) a fire that burned the house to the concrete.

If I recall the funeral correctly (it’s been a number of years), they didn’t even bother to maintain the charade that there was enough of his body found to require a casket.

I’m just sayin’.

It was a different culture back then. My dad said that he had two uncles who, on New Year’s Day and the Fourth of July, would compete to see who could get up the earliest to set off half a stick of dynamite.

I would cite my own childhood experiments with fireworks, but they were tame and lame in comparison to the rest of this thread.

We got hold of dynamite, once.

The main thing we learned about dynamite is that you need to get WAY the hell and gone away from it before it blows. Short fuses and dynamite are only fun in Clint Eastwood movies. One of my boyhood chums still has an odd “birthmark” on his calf that is actually dirt that was literally blasted into his skin.

Glass and explosives just do NOT mix, period. Plastic bottles and metal trash cans were okay, but glass? WAY too unpredictable. We found this out when we tried gluing marbles to the heads of our rockets in an effort to increase their punch.

In fact, we learned an incredible amount about safety, now that I think about it. The trouble was, we unintentionally risked our lives and safety about a hundred times to do so…

Awww somebody’s always gotta come in and pour water on the fun (so to speak).

It’s just pure darwinistic selection at its finest! Why with all the litigation these days, ANY mouthbreather’s got a fair chance at reaching adulthood.

We discovered that an F-15 model with gas tanks didn’t make the BEST rocket sled, but it sure was entertaining. It sat on those tanks, on the crusty snow, with an Estes C motor between the tail fins. Set it off and it went about two feet, nosed over into the snow, and melted the pilot with the ejection charge went off.

Ahhhh my misspent youth. (There’s still an A motor with a nosecone and three fins glued to it, lost somewhere in the next sub-division over.)

When I was about 13, I was perusing the shelves of a flea-market army surplus store when I came across a 1950’s edition of the Army’s Improvised Explosives and Munitions Technical Manual.

Since I was already well into the wholesome hobby of into filling up empty CO2 cannisters with crushed rocket engine power and sticking a fuse in it and blowing holes in the back yard, I snatched the book up post-haste.

Most of the concoctions in the book called for unobtainable chemicals or long mix time processes ( I hadn’t even taken a chemistry class yet), I bypassed most of them.

However, there was this one recipie for plastic explosive that seemed relatively easy to make – just two ingredients: vaseline and an over the counter medicine that was used to treat stomach disorders. Combined, they made a paste-like substance that would burn at the rate of whatever was used to ignite it. (eg: a fuse would just make it burn)

Something with some more kick was going to be needed.

Flipping through the book again, and voila! Improvised blasting cap out of a .22 shell! Whoopie!

I took a 4" long, capped-at-both-ends lead pipe and filled it up with the PE goop. We had this medium-sized tree next to our aluminum shed that had a nice squirrel-hole in it. In went the “device”.

When I set it off, it detonated with a bang that I’m sure was heard in the next county, and it shook the tree something fierce.

IT WORKED! However as I was jumping up and down slapping myself on the back, I heard this loud cracking noise from the vicinity of the victim tree. Watching in horror, I realize the tree is starting to tilt … right toward the shed.

The tree was much to big (about 5"-6" in diameter) to try to go over there and push in another direction, so all I could do was to watch in horror as this tree comes crashing down on our shed, completely crushing it.

My parents grounded me for 6 months and made me mow neighborhood lawns to pay for the damages.

Since we don’t generally like reanimating threads that are a few months old, dmatsch, I’m gonna close this one. You’re more than welcome to start a new thread with a link to this one if you’d like.