What's with those annoying Overstock.com commercials?

Memo to the dirty blonde in the Overstock.com commercials: Get over it. You’re not a raving beauty, you’re not exotic, you’re not hot. Stop trying to titilate me with your blahness.

Frankly, I’m don’t get these annoying commercials, but let’s not call this a rant, so join in with your feedback. :wink:

The advertising angle seems confused and the sexual subtext kinda weird. Are we supposed to be wowed by this gal’s supposed beauty and hotness? When she lets down her hair and tossles her mane, am I supposed to get all lathered up and start rumaging for rejects on their website?

The camera in one of the commercials momentarily focuses on her slightly spread-open legs, as she sits there with a tennis skirt on. Next, we’re hit with the tres clever “O” tie-in, which I suppose evokes orgasmic themes.

Frankly, I can’t see the connection between orgasms and merchandising rejects.

Anyone else annoyed by this commercial?

I’d do her.

There was an article on Slate about this ad. Apparently it was produced by Overstock.com without the help of an ad agency.

I find the ad annoying, but I find the woman attractive, so it sort of balances out.

Actually I think she is raving hot beauty. Maybe not exotic, but that’s not important.

She is attractive, based on the pic on neutron star’s link. I haven’t seen the advert, so I dunno if it is annoying or not.

I think the lady is just fine. I always had a soft spot for the first ad, in a cheap, thoughtless sort of way.

But, the theme is getting rather old.

Annoying: 3 on a scale of 10.
Hot: 9 on a scale of 10. I just love that soft purr, that constant eye contact, the fact that they picked an unheralded 41-year-old working actress instead of some ad agency bimbo.

Sabine Ehrenfeld is the Information Age Lorelei. I want to take her hand and follow her into the pleasures of the deep.

I think she is attractive, but in a way I don’t usually find women attractive. It’s like she’s ninety percent hot but not quite…there’s an element of wholesomeness there that makes her somewhat like a pretty soccer mom rather than an all out hottie.

Still, there is something about her that is mesmerising. I can’t take my eyes off her when that commercial is playing even if I’m on the computer or playing a game of checkers or backgammon. There’s also a hint of smugness in her expression after she says “It’s all about the O…” I don’t think it’s intentional – she’s probably trying to convey some other emotion – but that’s how it looks nevertheless, and I find it slightly off-putting.

And I was very surprised to learn she is 41 years old. True, the focus is soft, but Hollywood is full of 40-something actresses who would love to look that good. I would have sworn she was about 28.

(And as an aside, the first few times I saw that commercial I thought it was a Target ad.) :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d like to show her my “O-Face.” Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh! :slight_smile:

You’re not looking at the same woman I am. :wink:

Man! I thought she was hot before I read that Slate article… now I’m in love!

She looks that good at 41, can shoot a gun, snowboard, fly an airplane, and speak several languages? :eek:

[Butthead voice]Come to Astroboy![/BV]

I showed her the pleasures of the deep once. In 1960. For 20 minutes.

And yea, she is a raving hot beauty.

Am I the only one who isn’t really moved one way or the other by either the ad or the woman?

After all the chatter, I was expecting something either wildly outrageous or wildly inept. Instead, all I get is one big “meh.”

(Though I will admit I’ve bought from Overstock.com in the past and was satisfied with the company, so there.)

I’m not here to quibble, old boy. :wink:

Happily married man checking in. I can’t help but watch when the Overstock commercials come on. I’m firmly in the “she’s a raving beauty” camp on this one. I like that she doesn’t appear to be covered in a bunch of make up. You can tell she’s in her early 40’s, but the years don’t subtract from her beauty at all. The voice and the faint accent seal the deal for me.

Oh yeah, she’s definately hot, in a “I’m desperately selling what’s left of my sexual wares in the 2 years I have left before menopause to a national audience in exchange for cheap mail order shit.”

Oh yeah, me likes. Uh huh.

McDonald’s Double Cheeseburger: I’d hit it.

:slight_smile:

Yeah, I thinks she’s hot, but I’m confused as to why the makers of the ad think I’m going to buy stuff from Overstock.com just because I want to have sex with her.

Anyway, once we’ve thrashed this one out, anyone want to discuss the deep weirdness of all the different varieties of Stacker 2 ads I’ve seen?

You’re new around here, aren’t you? :slight_smile:

Ever seen a beer commercial?

AHA! She’s German. I knew there was an accent hiding in there somewhere. I just couldn’t quite place it.

Yeah, I don’t usually turn away from these spots, either.