Journeymen actors

I define journeymen actors to be those who, while not being megastars, seem to pop everywhere you turn. You see them in supporting roles and bit parts. Everytime a new animated film comes out you can almost count on their voice being in there somewhere. They are the ones you are delighted to see even if the vehicle they are performing in is a flop.

My two favorites are:
Cheech Marin
Tim Curry

Who are yours?

I call those actors That Guys, as in “Hey, it’s that guy!” Someone devoted a whole site to those familiar character actors: http://www.fametracker.com/hey_its_that_guy/

Some of my favorite That Guys include Steve Buscemi, Christopher Walken, William Shatner, Bruce Campbell, Vince Vaughn, Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, and Michael Madsen. Admittedly, they are all better-known names, but still nowhere near Tom Cruise status (and all far more entertaining than Cruise).

For the second time today, I’m going to throw in Eddie Izzard. He’s very well-known as a comedian, but has been in films pretty regularly over the last five years or so. Most of his work has been excellent, but the movies themselves haven’t been too well-received. I think he’s on the verge of a breakout into mainstream. I’d consider an actor in that position - on the verge of breakthrough - as the definition of “journeyman”.

What you’ve got I think I’d call character actor.

Martin Short often turns up in interesting places. And the voice of David Hyde-Pearce.

And Miranda Richardson.

Yes, the late, great JT Walsh would be the very first name on my list of “that guys” too. Also - there was a character actor who used to show up regularly on sitcoms and in small movie parts in the 70s and 80s, and (with JT Walsh in mind) I used to call him “that OTHER guy.” Let me see if I can dig up his name…

Got him! Richard Masur

Charles Lane, of course. Shows up all over the place in old movies.

Bob Balaban - the father on Ghost World and Russell Dalrymple on Seinfeld
Jennifer Coolidge - American Pie’s MILF and also on Best in Show and Joey
Paul Giamatti, if he’s not too famous now
Brendan Gleeson
Arye Gross
Luis Guzman
Philip Baker Hall
Philip Seymour Hoffman
The Chinese Triumvirate – James Hong, Victor Wong, and Al Leong!
David Paymer
The GREAT AUSTIN PENDLETON!!!
John Rhys-Davies
Jeffrey Tambor
Stephen Tobolowsky