The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-13-2005, 11:35 AM

Can I ask the post office to hold my mail at the office and then I go pick it up

I ordered something from mexico and its being delivered by registered mail. I will not be at the apartment when it gets there due to it being a school vacation and even if I am back by the time it gets there I am gone most of the day. Since its registered mail I have to sign for it and I probably wont be there.

Can I have the post office hold my package and then I go pick it up and sign for it at the office, or can I call the post office and tell them to have the leasing office at my apartment complex sign for the package since I wont be there? I can't wait at the apartment for it because I probably wont be there, and I thought if you weren't there 2 or 3 times to recieve a package they send the package back to sender.

I would ask the post office but its sunday.
Advertisements  
Old 03-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

You answered your own question.

A signature is required by the post office. No signature, no delivery. If you are not there when the post office delivers, they will attempt to deliver to the apartment manager, providing the post office normally does this.

If the post office cannot deliver, you will find a notification card in your box informing you where/when to pick the package.

Oh, yeah. You'll have to sign for it.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Or if you have my mailman, he won't even bring it from the post office but will simply bring note saying he tried to deliver it and failed and I should pick it up at the post office the next day.

Oh and since this is GQ I assume you want a cite. The only cite I can offer for the several times this happened is once I was out gardening in the front yard and spoke to the postman as he put mail in the box. Was I susprised to find a "couldn't deliver" notification.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:22 PM

The problem is when UPS tries to deliver something they make 3 attempts then send it back to the sender, they don't even try to use the leasing office unless you tell them explicitally (UPS at least). I do not know the post office's policy on returning a package, I was afraid they'd make a couple of attempts then send it back. I do not mind signing for it but I can't wait at my apartment for them to show up, i'd have to have it held at the post office then go and pick it up.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:52 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Probably the best thing to do is to check the USPS website.

I would think this page should be able to answer your questions.

Quote:
If you received a delivery notice (PS Form 3849 - either Peach or Yellow colored), this means that a postal carrier attempted to deliver to you an item where:

* A signature is required.
* A mailpiece will not fit in your mail receptacle.
* The item cannot be left in a secure place.
Quote:
Basic Information about Redelivery of Mail Items:

* Express Mail® items are automatically redelivered the next business day; all other items will be held at the LPO that handles your mail.
* In most cases, you will need to be home when the mail carrier brings the item.
* You must schedule the request no later than 3:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time the day of the requested redelivery.
* Redelivery mail items are delivered with the regular mail carrier on the requested date.
* You may NOT request a specific time.
* You may NOT request that the item be delivered to a different address.
* You may pick up the item yourself at the LPO.
* If you do not schedule a redelivery or pick up the item within the specified time frame, it is returned to the sender .
* There is currently no charge to have a United States Postal Service® item redelivered.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark
Take two aspirin and call the USPO [not UPS] in the morning.

Sign for and pick the package up at the USPO on return from vacation.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:38 PM

Whenever I go on vacation, I go to the post office and pick up a yellow card used to temporarily stop mail delivery. I include the date to have them start holding the mail, and check the box that says something like "hold all mail until I come to pick it all up, and then resume regulary delivery". I leave this card in my mailbox about three days before leaving (and to be sure, I leave another one on the day I leave).
In your situation, where you are concerned about a registered mail package, I recommend you give the yellow card to a person at the counter at the post office, and ask about how this will work with registered mail.

(MPSIMS: My mail is currently being held at the post office as we speak/type, and I am reading the Straight Dope in Siberia.)
Old 03-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertizontal
Whenever I go on vacation, I go to the post office and pick up a yellow card used to temporarily stop mail delivery. I include the date to have them start holding the mail, and check the box that says something like "hold all mail until I come to pick it all up, and then resume regulary delivery". I leave this card in my mailbox about three days before leaving (and to be sure, I leave another one on the day I leave).
You can also do this online, here.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

The yellow card works fine -- anything sent to you, registered or not, will be held. You can either have them resume delivery automatically, or pick up the held items as the PO. There is a minimum number of days (they won't hold mail for one day), but if you're gone a week, it'll work just fine for your purposes.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark
Take two aspirin and call the USPO, not UPS, in the morning.

On return, following holiday, go to USPO, sign receipt for, and pick up package.

QED