The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 03-15-2005, 09:26 PM
BANNED

Toys R Us Going Out Of Business.

Toys R Us Going Out Of Business.

Is this rumor true? Anyone have the scoop? Or has anyone heard anything?
Advertisements  
Old 03-15-2005, 09:36 PM

It's possible. Toys R Us has been losing market share to stores like Wal Mart for several years now.

CBS News/March 9,2005
Old 03-15-2005, 09:42 PM

I believe they are just putting the "toy" side of their business up for sale and keeping the "Babies R Us" part which deals with furniture, clothes, linens, and such for the under 2 set.

Shame, really...I always liked TRU, even if that guy in the Geoffrey suit did scare the pee out of my kid.

FB
Old 03-15-2005, 09:54 PM

I hope it doesn't go under. Walmart has a crap selection of toys.

I do hope they see fit to give us a Babies R Us store, since we have *no* dedicated baby retailer in my city, or Atlantic Canada, as far as I know. There's simply no selection of baby furnishings here.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Rumor's been going around for up to three years now. Eh.
Might happen, might not. Never know.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:59 PM

Damn it! Don't get my hopes up like that! I mean, here I was all excited, thinking about them having a going out of business saile, and I find out that it was only a rumor.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:04 PM

But I don't wanna grow up!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:07 PM

I will not be sorry to see them go, if it's true. My very good reason-- I hate that damned backward 'R'. It's not cute.

They never have what I'm looking for, the substitute is expensive, and the service is horrid, too. But mainly it's that 'R' thing.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes, Ashes
I hate that damned backward 'R'. It's not cute.
It bugs the crap outta my 7 year old son, too.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menocchio
But I don't wanna grow up!
If Toys 'R Us goes, you won't be a Toys 'R Us Kid. You'll just be a spawl-mart orphan.

I didn't want to grow up either. Life was good. I met with Chuck E. Cheese now and again. *takes a neurotic puff from a wrinkled, bent cigarette*

These bastards have ripped the soul, the vital f'n organs of it all, and I'm going gray today. A kid can't be a kid anymore, with these damned terrorists!

The only thing we can do now. . is resort to force. Toys U R OR ELSE.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

They just opened a new Toys R Us a few months ago near me.

If they were going out of business, why would they still be opening new stores?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
If they were going out of business, why would they still be opening new stores?
Tax write offs?

alternatively

Were you under some delusion that most American retailers are operated by people who employ logic in their decisions? Been to a Builder's Square, lately?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:41 AM

Good question. They have closed down at least two I know of in Houston, and I was told they were massively scaling back to focus on the Babies R Us stuff.

I never liked the store anyway, even as a kid. Something about the atmosphere of the store just makes me want to leave as soon as I walk in the door. All the ones around here have bare concrete floors and almost a warehouse look. Home Depot? Ok. Toystore? Um, no. Or at least if you look like a bargain basement store, your prices should reflect that.

My Mecca of toys as a kid was the Sears Christmas Catalogue. I don't think they do that any more, either.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
the Sears Christmas Catalogue. I don't think they do that any more, either.
You can order a Sears Catalogue, but according to the Sears detailed chronology (sidebar pop-up from linked page), the big catalog was disontinued in 1993.

(It appears that Sears Canada still may have one.)
Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

It was inevitable. The joint venture between the People's Republic of China and Wal*Mart is right on schedule. Next July, they'll be selling nuclear weapons to Syria, where a hundred Super Wal*Marts will open in May.

I'm kidding, I think.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb
You can order a Sears Catalogue, but according to the Sears detailed chronology (sidebar pop-up from linked page), the big catalog was disontinued in 1993.

(It appears that Sears Canada still may have one.)
Indeed it does. Was the highlight of my childhood waiting for that Christmas catalogue to arrive. Sears Canada releases the Christmas Wish Book every September, also available on DVD.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:36 AM

I work for a place that has an inside track with TRU and I've heard nothing of the sort yet.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:11 AM

About 18 years ago I decided to shop in one of their branches near where I live. I had already been buying some items and I was asked to leave my shopping bag at one of the counters before I would be allowed to enter. I had some valuable goods in my bag and refused to leave it, they wouldn't let me in until I did. It was an impasse. I went elsewhere and never tried TRU again. I couldn't care less if they go out of business.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

They're not going out of business, they're going private:
Quote:
The auction to acquire retailer Toys ''R" Us Inc. has narrowed to two suitors that offered to buy both the struggling toy store chain and the Babies ''R" Us unit for more than $5.7 billion, sources familiar with the situation said yesterday.

Buyout firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. and an investment group led by Cerberus Capital have submitted bids, the sources said.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 PM

I also have always despised that backwards R.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:01 PM

If they do go out of business, can we call them Toys Were Us?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:20 PM

Personally, I hope they sink.

They have nothing in their stores that inspire creativity and imagination with kids. It is all commercialed plastic crap.

<--------------------Does bidness with indy toy store owners who care.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:32 PM

It's not a backwards "R", it's a Cyrillic "ya". Therefore it should be pronounced "Toys Ya Us."

Ok. I got nothing else.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:51 PM

I just thought I should point out the avalibility of classic commercials at:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/downloads/
Old 03-16-2005, 02:04 PM

I like Toys R Us. True, it had everything wrong with it people said. It was commercialized, and didn't particularly inspire creativity or anything to young kids.

Try telling that to a young kid who gets bribed to go shopping with Mommy because at the end they get to stop by Toys R Us. Not even to buy anything, but just because it was a fun place.

I'm glad to hear they're not actually going out of business. I still prefer board games from there than from say, Wal-Mart or anything.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest
Personally, I hope they sink.

They have nothing in their stores that inspire creativity and imagination with kids. It is all commercialed plastic crap.

<--------------------Does bidness with indy toy store owners who care.
Absolutely. I will no longer shop at TRU--that and the damned R.

They have no intelligent toys for kids--and the baby stuff! There is hardly anything that does not light up, make noise etc. I gave up on them about 2 years ago when I couldn't find simple baby toys--boxes where the shapes are cut out and baby has to put in the corresponding piece--things like that.

That and they consistently only had one line open at all times.
I wish they would fail, seriously.

(I do remember when they were BargainTown, though--I'm old!)
Old 03-16-2005, 02:57 PM

Have any of you ever been to a Toys R' Us that had more than one working cashier? Anybody? Bueller? Didn't think so.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:10 PM

I went to TRU to get a semi-gag gift for my wife and it was so depressing it mad me glad I didn't have to shop there on a regular basis. The camelback location in Phoenix looks abandonded but they manage to keep the doors open.

There was a time a more vibrant TRU would have sent their lawyers after a store like "Guns 'R Us/Postal Plus*" in Phoenix but they managed to go out of business on their own quite nicely.

*Yes, it did exist.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padeye
I went to TRU to get a semi-gag gift for my wife and it was so depressing it mad me glad I didn't have to shop there on a regular basis. The camelback location in Phoenix looks abandonded but they manage to keep the doors open.
The one near us was a real slum a few years ago, but they have remodeled and it looks nice now. But I've been maybe a dozen times to any of them since my kids got out of diapers 15 years ago. That my wife was reviewing toys and got big shipments from the toy manufacturers had something to do with it.

Alas, I doubt people will go to the indies, but instead will go to WalMart which is worse than ToysRUs in every way. The race to the bottom continues.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padeye
I haven't seen that one but it sounds like the one on Independence Blvd. in Charlotte. When I was in high school we used to skip class and go there to mess around with the toys and we'd almost always be the only ones in the store. We'd rarely even see employees, and when we did they'd just stroll by, ignoring us and the fact that we were shooting basketball or swordfighting. It was eery.