The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-13-2000, 11:24 PM

I don't want to call the exterminator, is there any way to get rid of them?

When I got back after 1 week of being gone a lot of moths have been in my house. There are more and more every week, its been 6 months, they are really making me mad.

How can I get them out?
Advertisements  
Old 07-13-2000, 11:28 PM

I find spiders do an excellant job of it.
Old 07-14-2000, 12:08 AM

Are you by any chance storing birdseed in the house?

That stuff is full of moth seeds(?), or larvae, or whatever the hell moths come from.
Old 07-14-2000, 05:07 AM

Try moth balls. Then, try putting screens on the open doors, windows and roof vents. Then, thy 20 gallons of gasoline and a match. In addition to the mothe, this will get risd of all the nasty roomers you have been hearing.
Old 07-14-2000, 05:39 AM

I HATE MOTHS.

Hate them. I would really like moths to become extinct. Its their big sharp teeth that i hate the most, and sometimes they are armed with weapons too!

I'm sorry to say it, but the minute a moth flies in my room, i get a deoderant spray and a lighter and blowtorch the little bastard. I am not a vicious killer who dislikes nature, far from it, but goddam how i hate moths.

You must be careful sometimes they lay traps for you and try to snare you so they can flap down and bite you to death, i swear it!

I HATE MOTHS. ESPECIALLY ONES WITH BIG BODIES!!!!!! Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.
Old 07-14-2000, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piig

Its their big sharp teeth that i hate the most, and sometimes they are armed with weapons too!

You must be careful sometimes they lay traps for you and try to snare you so they can flap down and bite you to death, i swear it!

I HATE MOTHS. ESPECIALLY ONES WITH BIG BODIES!!!!!!
Where the hell do you live anyway, Piig?!

A trick to get a couple moths out: This only works if you have an outdoor light near a door. Wait until it's dark outside. Open the door, turn the outside light on, and turn all the indoor lights off. The moths will be attracted to the outside light and will fly out.

Of course, ya gotta be careful, lest more moths fly in when you leave your door open too long.
Old 07-14-2000, 06:26 AM

*sigh

Step aside, you amateurs, wannabes, novices and nerds. Let a professional hired killer through.

First, you have to determine if these are clothes moths or meal moths. Are they mostly in the kitchen? Or in the clothes closets?

If they are clothes moths, you need to empty the closet and have every article of clothing that contains natural fibers dry cleaned. Yes, that's expensive, but it's the only way. While the closet is empty, use an aerosol containing pyrethrin to 1) spray into the corners and all (and I mean all) the cracks and crevices in and around the closet. Then 2) do a fogging with the aerosol, filling the closet with mist. Shut the door and walk away.

If they are meal moths, the activity will be mostly in the kitchen and they will be infesting your grain products. Look carefully at all foods that contain grain, such as oatmeal, breakfast cereal, pancake mix, etc. Bags/boxes of rice or uncooked dried beans and especially pet food are likely culprits, too. If you see little worms in these products, or sawdust-like debris in the bags, or teeny holes in the bags, toss them out. Yeah, I know, that's expensive, too, but if you continue to store infested food your problem is not going to go away. Plus, you'll likely be eating little mealworms. Keep your cereal and other grain products in sealable plastic or glass containers. Never keep open boxes of cereal or pancake mix on the shelf.

Look also for egg cases. They are likely to be in the corners where the wall meets the ceiling, in the corners of cabinets or even in the spines of cookbooks and around other boxes in the shelves. Wipe them off or spray them with pyrethrin or both.

Empty cabinets of everything and fog the kitchen and inside the cabinets. You may have to stay out of the kitchen for a couple hours, and you might want to wipe everything down before you start using your kitchen again.

The important thing in both cases is to look for web-like egg sacs and worm-like larvae. The flying critters are annoying, but the larvae are the real bad guys. Cut off the infestation at the source. Then do what you can to make sure it doesn't recur.

"You, dear Dave, are a God."
Persephone (in a private e-mail)
Old 07-14-2000, 11:04 AM
BANNED

Moth balls. duh :-)

Actually, get a bright light put it outside. Make sure its the only one on at night. All you moths run out to it. easy. No need for some professional, yet.
Old 07-14-2000, 11:39 AM

handy, your brilliant suggestion is only going to attract the moths that are near enough to the light to perceive it. Any that are in the closet are probably not even going to be able to get out. And meal moths, AFAIK, are not attracted to light. Don't confuse the 80 bizillion other species of moths out there with clothes moths or meal moths. They are not the same.

Also, even if that did work, which I highly doubt, the eggs and larvae are still going to be in the clothes/food/closet/cabinets. Then this whole jolly scenario will be repeating itself when they turn into adults. The flying insects are annoying, I know, but it's the larvae that damage the clothing and infest the food. And they ain't going to be attracted to no porch light.

Don't treat the symptoms, treat the source!!

You may be able to handle it without paying a professional (although since this has been going on for six months, that may be tough and require more than one application), but if that's your aim, then treat it like a professional would.

Inspect. Treat. Take corrective action. This is not a case of occasional invaders. It's an infestation that's been half a year in the making. The problem cannot be solved by "shooing them out the door."

Old 07-14-2000, 12:18 PM

One word:

BATS
Old 07-14-2000, 12:23 PM

No.....

CATS

Mine love to catch the buggers. Of course sometimes i feel it rather inhumane and am forced to finish the kill before they eat it.
Old 07-14-2000, 01:58 PM

DAVEW0071 comes through again!

His suggestion is the only one that has a significant chance of being effective.
Old 07-14-2000, 02:23 PM

You hang a print of "After the Hunt" over the fireplace and when the left handed moths try to steal it you whack 'em with the flashlight. I dunno about right handed moths.

JB "o"o===="
Dept. of Marxian Allusions.
Old 07-14-2000, 04:52 PM

JBENZ said:

Quote:
You hang a print of "After the Hunt" over the fireplace and when the left handed moths try to steal it you whack 'em with the flashlight. I dunno about right handed moths.
Do you mean the flash, the flesh, the flutes, the Flitz, the flask, or the fish?

Ten points for originality, my fellow Marxist.

Wood Thrush said:

Quote:
DAVEW0071 comes through again!

His suggestion is the only one that has a significant chance of being effective.
I hope so, since that's what I was trained for and how I earn my money!

I don't mind, though. All the other suggestions on this thread are what keep me in business.

Old 07-14-2000, 05:53 PM

Well, it's simple: just go out on your lawn and make a noise like an angora sweater...

If it's clothes moths, DAVEW0071 is right on the money: remove the clothes, spray into every possible crevice, etc.

There is a cheaper alternative to the mass dry-cleaning, if you can get access to a couple of empty deep freezes: put the clothes items from the infested closets in a freezer for 4-6 days.
Old 07-14-2000, 06:07 PM
BANNED

Well you could make some moth sexual scent & put some on the
bulb outside on the porch. If that light doesn't attract them that scent sure would.

Or how about coffee? I was sitting down having coffee this morning & all of sudden drank one of the moths & chewed on it [kinda nutty flavor] but spit it out. Never though they were attracted to coffee.
Old 07-14-2000, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by handy

Well you could make some moth sexual scent & put some on the
bulb outside on the porch. If that light doesn't attract them that scent sure would.

Or how about coffee? I was sitting down having coffee this morning & all of sudden drank one of the moths & chewed on it [kinda nutty flavor] but spit it out. Never though they were attracted to coffee.
Does the coffee contain chickory?
Old 07-15-2000, 09:19 AM
BANNED

"Does the coffee contain chickory"

Nope....dunno how it got in there either.
Old 07-15-2000, 09:41 AM
BANNED

you aren't drinking enough

moths are one more problem that can be solved effectively by heavy drinking. The steps are three: Drink some. If you still find yourself caring about moths, drink some more.
Old 07-15-2000, 05:52 PM
Creature of the Night

The Professional Hired Killer sez:
Quote:
Plus, you'll likely be eating little mealworms. Keep your cereal and other grain products in sealable plastic or glass containers. Never keep open boxes of cereal or pancake mix on the shelf.
Personally, I keep most of that stuff in the freezer. I might still have egg cases in them...but at least the eggs are dead. Right?

Got any tips on fleas? We had a nice warm wet winter here in Fort Worth. It never got cold enough to kill most of the fleas. We've had the cats dipped (and, in one case, clipped short)(and let me tell you, NEITHER cat appreciated our efforts), and fumigated the house. Since I have privacy issues, I prefer not to let ANYONE in the house. So what else can an amateur do?
Old 07-15-2000, 06:05 PM
BANNED

Went to the store today, big box of moth balls [no, not that type] $2.50. Buy some.

Fleas? Get a pie pan of soapy water, put a light above it, at night fleas, jump at that light & do a Mark Spitz.
Old 07-15-2000, 07:06 PM

Once again, handy has come up with a great solution for dealing with the symptoms and not the actual problem.

First of all, you may get quite a few fleas that way, but certainly not all. Second, this does nothing for the eggs that have not hatched yet, and creates a ticking time bomb of fleas that will eventually re-infest your home.

I'm not aware of over-the-counter flea sprays for home and office use. In this regard, it's something of a drawback being licensed and certified. I have stuff available to me that the average joe (or lynn, as the case may be) cannot get their hands on.

The trick is finding something that will eradicate the adult guys and do something about the eggs.

Flea eggs are tricky, since there really isn't any specific gestation period. In the wild, they may lie dormant on a leaf or in some moss for quite awhile until a host animal brushes by and picks it up. Then the warmth and vibration of the living animal triggers the egg to hatch.

For this reason, pre-emergent flea products have been developed. They contain the insect growth regulator methophrene, which is based on flea growth hormones. It's good stuff, but again, I'm unaware of generally available products containing methoprene.

The standard method I use in indoor flea control is to have the homeowner vacuum every floor in the house, whether carpeted or not, then discard the vacuum cleaner bag. This not only sucks up a good portion of fleas and eggs, but stimulates the unhatched eggs to make them hatch.

Then, using a mixture containing a liquid residual pesticide and methoprene, I fan spray all the floors, covering them completely, even going a little ways up the baseboards. In areas where there are pet beds and furniture that the pets like to lounge on, I may also do those cushions.

I insist that the house be completely vacated while I'm treating, and I wear a respiratory filter while I treat. The house must remain vacant for at least four hours. When it can be inhabited again, the homeowner must vacuum all the floors again and discard the bag.

A follow-up service, following the above steps, is often required in two to four weeks.

Drastic? Yep. But this is war and fleas are tenacious and have excellent survival skills.

I'll try doing a search to see if I can find anything on methoprene and its availability. It may be a registered pesticide, though, and only available to licensed technicians. Keep in mind, too, that every state has the option to ban pesticides, so I don't know what's available in Texas.

P.S. Lynn, if you put the stuff in the freezer immediately after opening the package (or even before) the chances are you haven't even given the moths a chance to lay eggs in it.

Old 07-15-2000, 07:15 PM

Lynn, try this site!

I found it pretty easily, and it seems to have info not just on products, but on application techniques. I skimmed it briefly, and it seems pretty good.

http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/units/vth/noxon/flea.html

Old 07-15-2000, 10:50 PM

My pantry has been infested with moths for 2 years despite my herculean efforts to get rid of them. I took everything out, inspected each package for larvae, and plasticized everything. Twice. Threw away half my freaking closet. Kept nothing but canned goods. I cloroxed every shelf and each wall, including the ceiling. I put little moth bags on each shelf. I Raided the corners of the ceiling where they put their little moth nursery, complete with ladybug mobiles.

They'd go away for awhile, then return.

They are *still* here. Everytime I open the pantry, there's one fluttering around. I hate them and when I go to hell I have no doubt they will bet there, tormenting me.

It all started with a box of Bisquick and a $1 off coupon.

I have no advice, but I do sympathize.