Help me fix this problem with my record player!

I am good at fixing up small machinery so I thought before taking this record player to a shop, I would ask around to see what’s wrong with it and what can be done. Here’s the problem: the turntable is spinning at alternating speeds. The record will sound normal, then two seconds later will speed up a bit, then slow down, then speed up. Sometimes the record actually won’t spin when I drop the arm down, as it is supposed to, and i’ll need to manually give it a push to get the turntable spinning.

At first I thought maybe the brass thing that spins the rubber belt that spins the turntable might need to be lubricated, but then why would that explain the player speeding up as well as slowing down?

I want to fix this myself if it’s possible, so does anyone know what is up?

How old is the belt?

If it’s old, it could be slipping.

The belt is as old as the player and I’m guessing the player is at least 25 years old, possibly more. Would the belt slipping cause this problem?

It sure could.
This Audio Repair Faq has a good section on the likely causes of, and fixes for wow and flutter.
short form:

A slipping belt could definitely cause problems. If it can’t keep a proper grip on the platter, the speed will change. If you have to give it a push to get started, then the belt came to rest on a slick spot.

Since cartridges are still readily available, I’m sure you can find a belt.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll definitely try to buy a new belt if I can find a store open on Sunday that will sell me one.

In addition to the advice offered, I’d clean the platter hub, bore, and drive surfaces with IPA and apply an appropriate lube to the platter hub upon reassembly.

I don’t know where Merl is, but around here, IPA is a kind of beer - India Pale Ale. What does it mean north of the manson-nixon line? (Where *IS * that, anyway?)

FWIW, if I were working on this presumably gummed-up record player, I’d use WD-40 as a combination penetrating oil and solvent to get rid of the old lube along with paper towels and q-tips to then wipe off all the oild lube and the WD-40. Then, lacking specific instructions, gently use 3-in-1 oil or new motor oil. Any gears would be annointed with a light dab of white lithium grease.

Oh, be sure not to get any oil, grease or WD-40 on any rubber surfaces or you’ll be guaranteed to have slippage problems.

Once you’ve got it all done, head over here for a free PDF that you can print and use as a strobe disc to check the speed.

Isopropyl alcohol.

After 25 years, the drive belt is probably in terrible condition - cracked and dried out.

I’ve fixed many turntables.
Be careful with any kind of oil. It creeps.
Generally you can take the motor apart clean it -remove hardened grease -regrease it—vaseline on a Qtip works ok. I don’t use any oil.
Sometimes you can "revitalize a belt or rubber wheel by scraping off the hardened rubber and cleaning it with alcohol. If the rubber is shiny its too hard.
Is the belt round or flat?
You can create your own belt by simply cutting a longer belt to size and super glueing it . Careful to keep the glue just on the belt edge.
best of luck
just

The bearings in the motor, spindle or even the arm mechanism may be siezing up due to the grease drying out, this would put enough drag on the system to make an already worn out belt slip.

If you can get sewing machine oil, this is about the very best as it doesn’t pick up lint and dust as much as other oils.

Sorry, I thought that most folks knew IPA stood for isopropyl alcohol-I’d never use India Pale Ale to fix a turntable, although I might drink a cold one while fixing it. :wink:
The manson-nixon line separates PA and Maryland (and other staes, too), as explained by Robin Williams some years ago.

Be careful using WD-40. It’s good stuff, but during my career with a banking equipment company, we found that over time it left a gummy residue on finely machined fittings and issued service bulletins about not using it. My personal choice for extreme low viscosity lubricant with great lubricity is Tri-Flow. Having used it on tape recorders, turntables, firearms, bicycles, and other stuff you want to slip without getting ganked up (dirt attaction is essentially zero), it’s the cat’s pants.