The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-27-2005, 11:56 PM

Witch Boobies

Where did the cliche 'colder than a witch's tit' come from?
Advertisements  
Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 AM

The Master speaks.

Search is your friend.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:31 AM

Strange that not even the master realized that the correct phrase is:

"Colder than a witch's titty in a brass bra"

in similar fashion to:

"Colder than a brass toilet on the shady side of an iceberg"
Old 03-28-2005, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalGabe
Strange that not even the master realized that the correct phrase is:

"Colder than a witch's titty in a brass bra"
Close, but it's properly truncated to "Colder than a witch's titty."
Old 03-28-2005, 09:12 AM

On the brass topic, I've often heard "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey." Well, "often" in the sense of "a couple of times."
Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 AM

Heh. My personal favorite, and one that can be used in polite company, is "... colder than Hitler's heart."
Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 AM

I have pagan friends who use the terms "cold as a christian's pity"
Old 03-28-2005, 10:12 AM

Having experienced a Pagan boob up close, I can assert that they are soft and warm, and not cold at all.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:19 AM

While we're at it, where does "dumber than a bag of hammers" come from?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithcats
The Master speaks.

Search is your friend.
Nitpick: It was a Staff Report, therefore not The Master but one of his Renfields.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsang
While we're at it, where does "dumber than a bag of hammers" come from?
No sure but the three dumbest things on the planet are a bag of hammers (pretty dumb), a box of rocks (very dumb) and the OJ jury. (too easy)
Old 03-28-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerH
On the brass topic, I've often heard "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey." Well, "often" in the sense of "a couple of times."
Woo Hoo! I know the origins of this!

British sailors used to stack cannonballs in a pyramid, and to keep the bottom row from moving around, they would put them on a brass plate with indentations. A brass monkey. When it was cold, the brass would contract, messing up the spacing of the indentations, and the stacked pyramid would fall over. It was then "cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey."
Old 03-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I beg to differ on the staff report: it makes no sense. Why "colder"? Shouldn't it be "dryer"?

While it's true that witch hunters did look for blemishes and moles and often called them an extra teat (not "tit," BTW), the first instance of the phrase in the OED is from 1932:

Quote:
1932 VAN WYCK MASON Spider House xviii. 210 It's cold as a *witch's tit outside.
That is long past the days of witch hunts and unless the SD research staff is willing to explain the gap, their explanation doesn't hold up. Note also the original phrase is "tit," not "teat." In addition, Van Wyck Mason was an American author who lived in New York City in 1932, pointing to an American origin.

A more logical and simple explanation is this: Witches supposedly perform their rites in the nude. Thus, a witch's tit is bound to be cold, especially in winter.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:55 PM

Damn you, Snopes.

Sorry.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:58 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver
Nitpick: It was a Staff Report, therefore not The Master but one of his Renfields.
One of his Renfields, eh?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:05 PM
SD Curator of Critters

In a previous thread on this subject, it was proposed that a program of scientific research be carried out to find out which was colder: a witch's tit, a whore's heart, a husky's nuts in a dogsled race, or a welldigger's ass.

Oddly enough, everybody volunteered to investigate the thermal properties of witch's tits. For some reason, no one offered to research husky's nuts or welldigger's asses.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:22 PM

It's not at all clear to me why a welldigger's ass should be cold. I've actually dug a well, which is hard work; and I can tell you, my ass, along with the rest of me, was hot and sweaty while doing it.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopydude
It's not at all clear to me why a welldigger's ass should be cold. I've actually dug a well, which is hard work; and I can tell you, my ass, along with the rest of me, was hot and sweaty while doing it.
The idea is that once you've hit the water table, you're going to be standing butt-deep in chilly water.

Was the well you dug dry?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri
The idea is that once you've hit the water table, you're going to be standing butt-deep in chilly water.
Ground water is a fairly constant temperature year round, usually around 45 to 50F. And if we take the time of year to be January (as indicated in the Masters column referenced upthread) well then, it's 50F in the excavation which is quite pleasant considering that at the top of the hole it is often colder than a witche's tit.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Was the well you dug dry?
Well, no, I just didn't wait until the water was ass-deep!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringDad
Ground water is a fairly constant temperature year round, usually around 45 to 50F. And if we take the time of year to be January (as indicated in the Masters column referenced upthread) well then, it's 50F in the excavation which is quite pleasant considering that at the top of the hole it is often colder than a witche's tit.
If you want to spend a lot of time in 50F water you go right ahead.

http://www.boatwashington.org/hypothermia.htm

Let me know when that well is done :-)
Old 03-29-2005, 08:06 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

You have a very different definition of "pleasant" than I do. And I'd much rather be at 0 F with warm dry clothes on than ass-deep in 50 F water.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:40 AM

Yeah. If they said "colder than a well-diggers knees" I would have understood instantly. How about "Colder than a skinny-dipper's ass in Mooselookmeguntic Lake?"
Old 03-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
One of his Renfields, eh?
It does inspire the imagination, though, dontcha think?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505
Woo Hoo! I know the origins of this!

British sailors used to stack cannonballs in a pyramid, and to keep the bottom row from moving around, they would put them on a brass plate with indentations. A brass monkey. When it was cold, the brass would contract, messing up the spacing of the indentations, and the stacked pyramid would fall over. It was then "cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey."
Of this the National Maritime Museum comments:- "Although we cannot offer an alternative explanation we do not think this theory is tenable. Most of the round shot was carried in racks or 'garlands' which were either wood or rope. No nautical dictionaries give any reference to the brass monkey although monkey was a term used for all sorts of other things. The use of brass is also questionable since it was a fairly expensive commodity and there seems to be no reason for its use when wood sufficed."
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.17926
Old 03-29-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
"Although we cannot offer an alternative explanation we do not think this theory is tenable. Most of the round shot was carried in racks or 'garlands' which were either wood or rope. No nautical dictionaries give any reference to the brass monkey although monkey was a term used for all sorts of other things. The use of brass is also questionable since it was a fairly expensive commodity and there seems to be no reason for its use when wood sufficed."

Not to mention that the coefficient of thermal expansion for brass is 18* 10^-6 m/m/K. So going from the tropics at 40 C to the artic at -20 C (zero F), if the cannonball holder is a full meter wide, you get a total width change of about one millimeter, spread over the full width of the holder. Which I think probably wouldn't make a stack fall over. In fact, I can't imagine there is much on a wooden sailing ship that has a one mm tolerance to begin with.

But the story is true about how the tiger got his spots.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
In a previous thread on this subject, it was proposed that a program of scientific research be carried out to find out which was colder: a witch's tit, a whore's heart, a husky's nuts in a dogsled race, or a welldigger's ass.

Oddly enough, everybody volunteered to investigate the thermal properties of witch's tits. For some reason, no one offered to research husky's nuts or welldigger's asses.
Must've missed that thread. If you'd connect me with an attractive female welldigger, I'd investigate the warmth of her backside and report back. (Strictly in the interest of fighting ignorance ) You're still on your own re: puppy nads.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:35 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Must've missed that thread. If you'd connect me with an attractive female welldigger, I'd investigate the warmth of her backside and report back. (Strictly in the interest of fighting ignorance ) You're still on your own re: puppy nads.
Yeah, everyone who was interested in the witch's tit question was imagining young nubile ones as well, not the classic crone-type witch.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:39 PM

Leaving the fascinating of well-diggers poopers for a moment and getting back to the original hijack - here is phrase I use fairly often.

Uglier/Dumber than a bucket of butt-holes.

The dumber part is expecially useful when talking about my brother's wife.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Crap! That should have been - fascinating subject of . . .
Old 03-29-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
You have a very different definition of "pleasant" than I do. And I'd much rather be at 0 F with warm dry clothes on than ass-deep in 50 F water.
Oh come now. Do you think people digging holes in the ground to find water wear tuxedos? Have you never heard of hip waders? You are not soaked to the skin. 50 F covered in rubber and sweating is quite warm compared to the people at the top of the hole.

Plus the previously mentioned fact that if you are digging a hole in the ground, you never actually get butt deep in water. How do you suppose a well digger would be able to dig if he couldn't bend over to pull out a shovel full of dirt without sticking his head underwater?

So to summarize - water warm compared to the air in January, well diggers wear waterproof clothes in cold weather, and water in well does not approach butt deep.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:28 PM

I have heard the phrase as "Colder than a well-digger's ass in January" and I always assumed that it was a well-digger as opposed to any other occupation due to the fact that a well-digger would have to bend over a lot in his work, thus causing "plumber's crack" and exposing his hindquarters to the elements.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 PM

My favorite is "colder than a nun's cunt". The offensiveness makes it good! I can't use it anywhere, though
Old 03-29-2005, 09:41 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Oh come now. Do you think people digging holes in the ground to find water wear tuxedos? Have you never heard of hip waders? You are not soaked to the skin. 50 F covered in rubber and sweating is quite warm compared to the people at the top of the hole.

Plus the previously mentioned fact that if you are digging a hole in the ground, you never actually get butt deep in water. How do you suppose a well digger would be able to dig if he couldn't bend over to pull out a shovel full of dirt without sticking his head underwater?

So to summarize - water warm compared to the air in January, well diggers wear waterproof clothes in cold weather, and water in well does not approach butt deep.
Overanalysis can take the pith out of any pithy expression.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
If the cute female welldigger were to take a pith in her well, that would warm things up, I would think.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:31 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
If the cute female welldigger were to take a pith in her well, that would warm things up, I would think.
Now you're getting kinky.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Ehhhxcellent. Then my job here is done.

And now the weather here is turning. Soon it will be hot enough to boil a monkey's bum.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 AM

/Bruces Hijack on

"Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in here, Your Majesty" he said, and she smiled quietly to herself...

/Bruces Hijack off
Old 03-30-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manduck
My favorite is "colder than a nun's cunt". The offensiveness makes it good! I can't use it anywhere, though
I'm peeing my pants!! You're welcome into my offensive circle of friends!

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"-Diderot