Most beautiful piece of music.

I’m not a classical music fan, but every now and then I remember to listen to the single most beautiful piece of music I know of. Chopin’s Raindrop Prelude.

(If anyone wants to listen to it a version can be found at this music professor’s web site at this link)

What is the most beautiful piece of music you know of? Not necessarily your favorite, or the most interesting, or the most inspiring. Just the most beautiful.

Beethoven’s 9th symphony, 4th movement—the “Ode to Joy.”

After that, I’d personally recommend Hayley Westenra’s Wuthering Heights.

Allegri’s Miserere, composed for the Vatican’s Sistine Chapel, and so beautiful that (supposedly) the Vatican made copying it an excommunicable offense, so that it couldn’t be performed elsewhere.

According to legend, Mozart heard it in the Chapel and later transcribed it from memory (now that’s what I call a bootleg!). Of course, the truth may be more mundane, but it’s still a stunning piece.

The Lacrimosas from Mozart and Verdi’s Requiems, though IIRC Mozart only got halfway through it before he expired.

I was warped at a young age, having grown up in Fergus, Ontario - the home of the Canadian Highland Games.

So, in my opinion, the most beautiful, heartwrenching piece of music is Amazing Grace on the bagpipes. YMMV, of course.

#1 is the Moonlight Sonata for me - mainly the first movement.

I’m also quite fond of Amazing Grace played on bagpipes and Pachelbel’s Canon in D. In a more contemporary vein, there’s an instrumental performed by The Corrs called “Rebel Heart” that took my breath away.

Shawshank Redemption.

When Andy plays that aria from Figaro(?) over the loudspeaker. I think that’s a lovely piece of music, and I can’t seem to locate it.

Canon in D, Pachelbel

The Flower Duet from Lakme by Delibes is haunting and beautiful.
I love Bach’s Goldberg Variations, but they must be played by Glen Gould.
Mozart’s requiem mass is the most beautiful peice of music I’ve ever heard.

In no order:

Scott Joplin’s Solace
Mozart’s Lacrimosis
Bethoven’s Moonlight Sonota (Piano Sonota No. 14)
Yamashiro Shoji’s condensed Ecophony Rinne
Muse’s Blackout
Robert Johnson’s Come on in my Kitchen
Yoko Kanno’s Space Lion
Tiger Lillies’ XYZ
Nahoko Kakiage’s Fine Day
Unknown Bulgarian song I know only as O Radha as sung by Geinoh Yamashirogumi
Johann Pachelbel’s Kanon d-Dur

Mmmmmmmmm

I believe it’s Sull’aria (Che Soave Zeffiretto).

Is that the name of the piece or the name of the opera? Because you can sort of tell, when Andy opens the record album, the name is “La Nozze Figaro,” so I assumed that was Mozart’s opera.

The first one that comes to mind is The Queen of the Night aria from the Magic Flute.

Then Ike & Tina Turner’s Phil Spector-produced “River Deep, Mountain High”.

Claude Debussy: Claire De Lune

That was what I was going to say too. A close second and third is Carol of the Bells and Ode To Joy.

Piece. It’s an aria from Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro.

The Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - J.S. Bach.

Regards,
Shodan

Ode to Joy is my favorite as well. I love the scene in Immortal Beloved in which Gary Oldman is floating and the music is playing in his head.

I also love Vivaldi’s Four Seasons Suite.

I loves me my JSB, but I vote for Toccata, Adagio & Fugue in C (ii, adagio). Although Jesu, Son of Man’s Desiring is right up there (and I’m not religious).

I’m a peasant. I like Greensleeves, La Vie En Rose, We’ll Meet Again, and Swan Lake, whatever part of it they used to play in the old Universal horror movies.