How much do computer technicians earn?

I work as a computer technician at a small company. I assemble new computers and repair old ones. Computer repairs range from changing a busted power suplly unit to cleaning spyware, identifying software conflicts, data recovery, etc.

I also offer technical assistance over the telephone for our customers. Sometimes I will go to the customers premises to install network cables, patch panels, RJ45 clips etc.

I get paid minimum wage, which is 3 euros/hour. AFAIK, this is the norm throughout Greece. How much would I make in another country?

I do the same type of job as you in the United States. I work at a school district doing all the I.T. stuff. I do the break/fix, IP Phone maintenance, and support all of the users. Right now I make $10.72/hour (about 8 euros). I don’t get healthcare or benefits yet but I’m expecting them next year. I’ve had this job for 5 years.

I also started my own business with a coworker doing computer repair part time. We also sell equipment whenever we can. If a customer brings their PC to us it’s $25/hour (19 euros) for labor and if we go to their house/business/whatever it’s $40/hour (30 euros). This might sound high but all of our competitors are much much higher.

I think $8-12/hour is the average right now for pc techs with a few years experience.

The going rate for contractors to do that sort of thing is £8/hr or so here in the UK - roughly double what you earn. Permies get rather more.

The most important thing is whether $10.72/hour is a living wage where you live? Because 3€/hour where I live isn’t. Luckily, I live with my parents. If I had to rent a house, I would have to spend about two thirds of my salary. :frowning:

Also, your prices do not impress me. :stuck_out_tongue: My boss charges dearly! The hourly fee for outside jobs is 50€ ($65). A simple job such as swapping a PSU costs 20€ ($26) and the price of the PSU is not included :o

I’m a junior sysadmin/network admin/facilities guy at a small company. I repair PCs, build infrastructure machines (mail/web/ftp servers, etc), write documentation, administer the firewalls, occasionally fix the generator, and figure out ways to stop the sales guys from asking for a Blackberry. I also occasionally get paged at 6am on a Sunday and have to go in and swap a hard drive on our pSeries or something.

I make 28,000 USD/year, or about 10 EUR/hour. I also get health insurance and 6,000/year in up front tuition assistance. I’m also expecting a 12% raise in June, and another in December.

In my experience, a straight up, A±type PC tech in the US will make in the 10-15 USD hourly range, depending on certifications and experience. Doing it on the side (or in business for yourself) starts at around 20 USD/hour, but with a much higher overhead and no fringe benefits.

$3.92 and hour, though? I understand that Greece is a significantly poorer country than the US, it’s probable that the technological inftrastructure is such that basic PC repair skills are not in that great of a demand, but that still seems awfully low. In the US, you can make twice that much flipping burgers.