Laptop AC adapter + 4 year old boy + metal key = @%$#$#@!!. What happened?!?

I have a Targus AC adapter for my Dell Inspiron laptop. The cord between the adapter and the computer has a power accessory input jack, that is not covered in any way. One day last week, I was on the laptop and my 4 year old came bopping by and unbeknownst to me, put a metal key into this open jack. Instantly, the computer went dead and wouldn’t turn back on.

:eek:

Figuring the laptop was fried but good, I unplugged and plugged it back in. It works. But it only works on AC power. It will no longer operate on battery power. In fact, the moment I take the AC adapter out, the computer immediately dies, every time. The battery level has been showing 56% since this incident, but it will not operate on the battery.

So, what the hell happened? Can this be fixed with a new battery? Am I doomed forever to be tethered to the AC adapter?

WAG: I have an old Compaq laptop that I had to disassemble to replace the CDROM drive. Whilst inside the beast, I got to know nearly all the parts therein.

There’s a small circuit board attached to the motherboard that the battery comes in contact with. It’s possible that your little one shorted out this board.

If you could get a parts list of you computer, you should be able to at least identify if such a board is a separate component. If so, you should be able to order a replacement.

If you’re lucky there could be a fuse that blew and needs replacing.