Eating meat with fruit

Does eating meat with fruits cause them to fester inside yours stomach? Stupid question? I’m just wondering about the ecology of the matter. What about in a container other than your stomach?

Hmm, things I like

Apricots w/ ham. Salami w/jalepeno. Melon slices and procuitto(sp)?

I am more curious as to what made tou pose the question than the answer.

Some fruits contain enzymes and acids that will act to alter proteins, most fruits contain sugar that make the protein-rich meat an even more attractive prospect for pathogenic and degenerative bacteria. But in general, it’s pretty widely believed (and has been for centuries) that eating meat and fruit together is actually beneficial for the digestion (as well as being considered aesthetically pleasant); that’s why we have duck a l’orange (or with plum sauce), roast pork with apple sauce, lemon chicken, game with redcurrant jelly, etc.

To say nothing of using juices like pineapple, mango, or papaya with peppers and spices for delicious marinades for chicken and pork, lemon juice for chicken and fish, grilled ham with pineapple… plus tomatoes and peppers are actually fruits, not vegetables, and we eat those with meat all the time without thinking.

I’m talking about raw fruits and veggies with cooked meat. All those things you guys brought up were cooked.

Yep.

The stomach covers both fruit and meat in a bath of hydrochloric acid and then several hundred enzymes pour into the small intestine to tear proteins, fats, and sugars down to their simplest compounds.

Nothing “festers” inside the system. Food enters, gets broken down, and either gets absorbed into the system or excreted. The nonsense spewed by those faddists talking about “cleaning out the system” is the only thing festering about it.

It sounds like you’ve heard this as a bit of folklore, am I right?

Well, if you leave 'em in there for long enough, they probably get pretty nasty.

It sounds like you have heard something about the principles behind the “Fit for Life Diet” which Harvey Diamond has made a small fortune from. The idea is that a good diet depends more on when and how you eat rather than what or how much you eat.

Diamond claims that eating foods in the wrong combinations causes them to rot so that they cannot be assimilated. He is also big on “the toxins idea” and claims that some foods clog the body.

This is all complete nonsense, as anyone who knows about digestion (see Exapnos) post can attest.

For more information on Diamonds misleading ideas and where they originated - Quackwatch.