Best young male actor in their mid 20's or younger.

So here it is. Who is the best young male actor out there? For a guideline, lets set an age limit of 26. I thought of a large list of female actors but very few males (hence the reason I’m asking for the best male actors).

I’m looking for men I think will have not only long, but distinguished careers as well.

The first one I thought of was Topher Grace (the major reason I set the limit at 26). He has done some pretty good work in the early part of his career that has garnered him a bit of critical acclaim.

The second I thought of was Macauley Culkin. Lately his work has been very solid (party monsters, saved).

Who am I missing?

I think Elijah Wood is very good, especially because he’s taking great pains to not be typecast as Frodo. His roles as a creepy little scientist in Eternal Sunshine and a ninja-like serial killer in Sin City were both major departures from Lord of the Rings, and I think if he keeps taking risks like that, he will get a reputation as a great, diverse actor.

I totally agree on Topher Grace, and also Jake Gyllenhaal (if he’s young enough to count). And I think Michael Cera, the teen actor who plays George Michael Bluth on Arrested Development, is amazing (not just for his age), and really stands out even in AD’s terrific ensemble cast.

Ditto on Elijah Wood. As BBVL said, he’s chosen some very interesting roles post-Frodo, which shows he’s got good sense, at least. He’s meant to be v. good in Hooligans/Green Street, a UK football flick, too.

Apparently Joseph Gordon-Levitt off off of Third Rock is very good in an upcoming flick the name of which I’ve forgotten. I thought he was cute in 10 Things I Hate About You.

I actually came in here to mention him. (You’re probably referring to Mysterious Skin in which he plays a male prostitute and has copious graphic sex scenes and nudity, which “ewws” me out because I still think of him as a child actor- he auditioned for gay characters in Latter Days and Queer as Folk [the gay foster kid, Hunter] and kissed Topher Grace on the lips in 70s Show- I wonder if his agent is encouraging this.)

Hayden Christensen ranges from mediocre to bad in the Star Wars movies but he’s actually pretty good in some of his other roles.

Yeah, I liked his performance in shattered glass and he was decent in Life as a House (it’s been such a long time since I’ve seen The Virgin Suicides, it’s hard to remember how he did). A role like Anakin worries me though. It appears Elijah Wood has been able to overcome being Frodo as he now has a few more memorable characters under his belt. I just wonder if Mr. Christensen will be able to do that…we’ll see how The Decameron Goes.

Mr. Levitt has four movies coming this year starting with Mysterious Skin (June 3rd, you Canadians - Well probably Torontonians and Vancouverites anyway). We’ll see how they turn out. It does appear that he has the talent.

Somebody beat me to Michael Cera! Dang! He’s amazing and shows signs of becoming devastatingly handsome to boot, with old-fashioned classical features.

I was also quite impressed with Culkin’s work in PARTY MONSTER, and he’s done well in some off-Broadway plays here in NYC.

Grace was terrific in IN GOOD COMPANY.

I heartily agree with Topher Grace, Elijah Wood, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

But Macauley Culkin? Am I the only one who was completely unimpressed with him in Party Monster? I found it nearly unwatchable because of him … I only stuck it out for Seth Green.

(Alas, both Seth Green and Giovanni Ribisi are over 26… :))

To be honest with you, I’m more impressed with his younger brothers Kieren and Rory (but I do think he’s pretty good). The thing is, it appears Kieren has nothing upcoming so I’m wondering if he even wants a future in it. He’s doing some stage stuff now but it appears as though he has no film in his immediate future.

His brother Rory showed some promise in Mean Creek, we’ll see about him.

Jake Gyllenhaal in such movies as Donny Darko or The Good Girl but definitely not as in Bubble Boy.

But I’ve got to give a “hand” to MacCauley Culkin for his performance at the MJ trial.

Hey- I like Jonathan Rhys Myers, I hope he fits the age criteria-
Because everyone else mentioned sounds like “Teen Beat” fodder.
let me go check. v

Jake Gyllenhaal was great in October Sky and Donnie Darko.

I think he fits in this age range, but I like Jesse Bradford. He gets some lousy movie parts, but his West Wing character was very well acted.

I’ll go with Joseph Gordan- Levitt. I first noticed him in “Roseanne,” then “Angels in the Outfield.” He held his own against experienced actors in those two, and was great in 3rd Rock.

Kid’s a natural.

There’s also Wilmer Vandecamp the only actor from “That 70’s Show” to qualify. He has good looks, comic timing, acting ability, and can sing and dance. The guy should be on Broadway.

It’s time to revive “Evita.” He’d make a great Che.

Isn’t it Valderama?