Same Tired Bullshit

Ya think maybe you partisan assholes could keep your opinions outta GQ? For even a single goddamned post? We get it. You don’t like the Bush machine. I’m not all that fond of it myself. There are at least three other forums here (not to mention the thousands of other sites on the WWW) where you can keep beating us over the head with this. Is it too much to ask that one of the single best message board forums on the entire 'Net be kept free from your derisive and wholly unnecessary political commentary?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=6193979

And you, Soylent Gene, guest tho’ you may currently be, would it kill you to find a cite that doesn’t require such an invasive registration process to view?

Goddamn.

I don’t particularly like many of Bush’s programs myself, but I think he’s the best canidate I had to work with. And he certainly doesn’t deserve the constant harping on everything he does. And frankly, I just got tired of everyone on this board doing drive-by Bush attacks in every random thread. That’s why I stopped bothering with GD for the longest time, not that anyone noticed or cared.

Holy Cow Unc, I agree with the sentiment. But sheesh the OP was a question about Bush tactics. Soylent Greens response seemed appropriate. Its not like the OP was about Kittens and somebody popped off about how Bush hates kittens (which would not suprise me-that someone would post it not that Bush does in fact hate kittens)

I don’t know…

To which there is a factual answer which could presumably be teased out of the 'Net.

My ire was raised when I found that two posters found it necessary to preface a comment with “IMO.”

Little hint for you rule-ignoring bastards. If your typing a remark that seems to need such a preface, it fucking well, fucking doesn’t fucking belong in fucking General fucking Questions. Fuck me. Blatant disregard for the rules of the forum. And the fact that it is political commentary that’s repeated ad naseum in literally thousands of threads across this board, makes it that much fucking worse. Not to mention there’s a goddamned sticky thread right at the top of the GQ main page that specifically proscribes political commentary from that forum.

I’m fucking sick of it.

E-mail me your Credit card number so I can order a new keyboard…I can’t even type I am still ROTGDFLMFAO

Kittens? Kittens! Hell, George don’t even eat…

No. I won’t do it. Some standards must be maintained.

Uncle Beer, Can’t pretty much everything in GQ be Googled? I understand your frustration though even if I personally can’t stand the current administration. I often feel the Dope should create a Politics only forum and strictly enforce it. I think they should also start banning posters in the Pit who post “I burnt my toast this Morning, Waaaa” type posts.

I loved that Teddy Roosevelt quote on that site.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public

• Theodore Roosevelt

Great quote.

The OP asked whether GWB was the first person to use banners/backdrops during rallys or speeches. Pretty straight forward, narrowly defined question.

(I did answer the question. Twice)

The OP did NOT ask

• are banners are good idea? (IMHO or GD)
  • are banners pandering? (IMHO or GD)
  • Is Karl Rove the living embodiment of the anti Christ? (GD or the Pit)

I concede the point.

But, UncleBeer, the Cause is all-important. And the Cause demands that Bush be denigrated at every opportunity. The Cause is more important than good manners, or other people’s happiness, or anything in fact.

I’m not quite sure what the Cause is, but rjung himself has acknowledged that he’s certainly not going to change any minds with these moronic hijacks. So I’m guessing the Cause is just making us on the left look bad.

I’m growing less and less fond of the Cause with every day that passes.

Ever considered a stint as GQ mod? If there’s one thing disappointing about the current crop, it’s that they’re too nice to the partisan bullshitters. Manhattan had about the right touch, and perhaps you could bring it back.

The GQ mods are usually very quick to put an end to this kind of BS. The warnings are generally pretty sharp, too. I know this is a problem, but it seems like this MB has a good way of dealing with it.

I’m not sure why I’m involved in this thread, since I didn’t write anything non-GQ-appropriate in the thread.

Maybe UncleBeer should try staying away from the bar until after 4:00pm…

What the motherfuck? Do you expect us to believe you’re just blindly hammering at the keyboard and productions like this: “I find it pandering and manipulative as hell, but that’s strictly IMO,” come randomly rolling out. And then, that you’re not responsible for them?

Explain to us how that sentence, in any way is appropriate to a GQ thread to which a factual answer is possible. And further how it is not a violation of not only the letter, but the spirit, too, of the proscription at the top of that fucking forum.

The rules ain’t that hard to “get.” But you seem to have managed it nicely.

I plead guilty to this practice, the reason being just pure stupidity. Sometimes I just forget what forum a thread happens to be in.

I’ll be more careful in the future.

Yeah! This is just as annoying as it was last week!

As I said then, I hate Bush. In fact, I hate him SO MUCH that I’d prefer NOT to read about him in threads on completely unrelated topics.

I’m a radical, I know. But I stand by it.

I find it (sticking the Message of the Day on a repeating background) pandering and manipulative as hell, no matter who is doing it. How hard of a concept is that to grasp?

I also dislike film directors who throw in gratuitous explosions in movies; care to tell us what’s the political subtext of that?

Who cares what you think?