Recommend me a mystery book

If you’ve never read any Tony Hillerman, start with Dance Hall of the Dead.

Go to the library and get a few Agatha Christies. My favorite is called Crooked House, but the vast majority are superb. Witness for the Prosecution and other stories is also quite good if you’re willing to read a collection of mystery stories rather than novels, but try to find this particular edition; there are a few others that are in print with different stories, and this collection seems by far to be the best.

If you get through all of Christie and like it, try M.M. Kaye’s mystery novels, which are very much reminiscent of Christie, but with that grand old pukka sahib imperialist flavor. There are precious few, though; I think Death in Kashmir, Death in Kenya, Death in the Andamans, Death in Berlin, Death in Cyprus, and Death in Zanzibar are all of them.

Solely for the curiosity factor, you might want to try out a few of Anne Perry’s novels; she writes pleasantly formulaic Victorian-era mysteries, but the real draw is that Perry is actually Juliet Hulme, who murdered a friend’s mother in a famous 1950s New Zealand case. Murderers writing murder mystery novels…oh, my!

Also see if you can find any of Alfred Hitchcock’s short story anthologies; I know you might be skeptical, but he actually has a good eye for picking nicely chilling stories. Some are might be categorized as horror stories rather than mystery stories, though. And if you get a Hitchcock anthology and like it, try one of those monster books of Ray Bradbury’s short stories; they’re fairly evenly mixed between sci-fi, which you can always skip over, and ghost/mystery/horror stories.

Hope that helps…

Hillerman is a good choice. I’d start with the first novel, The Blessing Way.

Dick Francis wrote thrillers rather than mysteries, but they are very enthralling (at least for me!) They aren’t in a series. My favorite is Blood Sport. But it’s a little atypical. Smokescreen might be a better choice, but I don’t think you can really go wrong with any of them.

My current favorite mystery writers are Laurie R. King, Laura Lippman, and Janet Evanovich. King writes serious mysteries, some set in SF and some using Sherlock Holmes as a character. Lippman writes soft-boiled p.i. novels set in Baltimore. Evanovich might be the funniest novelist writing right now. Her early books had a few creepy/gruesome scenes (I have a low tolerance).

So:

The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, by Laurie R. King.

The Sugar House, by Laura Lippman (not the first in the series. I haven’t read the earliest ones yet).

And One for the Money, by Janet Evanovich.

Oh, I love you. MM Kaye is delightful.

Given the suggestions you’ve mentioned, I wonder if you’ve ever read Patricia Wentworth? She’d probably be right down your alley.

Anything by Ed McBain.

I just finished a delightful book by the name of Social Crimes. I found my copy the other day on a table full of discounted books at my local Wal-Mart. It was only $3.94 and it looked intriguing, so I picked it up. It is a quick read, well written, and it kept me so curious about about what happens next that I stayed up til 6:00 a.m. and read it all the way through. It was written in 2002 and is still in print. The author is Jane Stanton Hitchcock.

I enjoy Lawrence Block’s Bernie Rhodenbarr stories, all identifiable by titles starting The Burglar Who… Although somewhat formulaic, they are lighthearted, witty, and enjoyable.

Bernie Rhodenbarr is a burglar who runs a used book store to cover for the occasional burglaries he still pulls off. His close friends include a lesbian dog groomer and a cop on the NYPD who isn’t above suspecting Bernie in the latest murder committed in the course of a burglary. Naturally, Bernie has to clear himself of the murders (hence the formula).

I’ve enjoyed most of Block’s other works, too, although the Matthew Scudder series is considerably darker.

The book called Hit Man is not as dark as you might expect, and I recommend it. It’s a collection of interconnected short stories about a contract killer, all of which have an interesting O. Henry-like ironic twist.

Sadly, the sequel, Hit Man 2, is easily the worst thing I’ve ever read by Block. I suggest avoiding it. Also to be avoided like the plaque is the film Burglar, in which Whoopi Goldberg plays Rhodenbarr. It’s hideous.

Jack And Jill by James Patterson really moves along.

Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe series is old (Stout died in about 1975, I think) but still wonderful fun reading.

If you like British humour, try Robert Barnard, whose novels often have very wicked twists… and are brilliantly written.

And if you like humor, then the caper novels of Donald Westlake can’t be beat, like The Hot Rock or Bank Shot where they steal a bank. Not rob a bank, mind, but steal one.

Also, on AOL Sunday nights at 9 PM EST for an hour (for you AOL users) there’s a great mystery chat, with people who are very knowledgable and very well-read in mysteries. Email KdePina@aol.com for info… tell him Dex sent ya.

Because they’re Butch, obviously.

The Da Vinci code by Dan Brown is pretty damned captivating. Or the Prequal, Angels & Demons.

It might help a little if you talk about what KIND of “mystery books” you like. Many so-called “mysteries” are more properly classified as “detective,” “adventure,” or “suspense” stories. It also matters what matters to you in a mystery. Do you care more about characters? Suspense? Being able to fairly figure out the ending? Also, is there a subgenre you like (e.g. PI, locked room, English drawing room)?

I’ll second this. He’s easy to find second hand, and has written about a hundred books. “Downtown” is my personal favorite.

Andrew Vachss is good for roman noir and Kinky, Kinky, Kinky Friedman for NYC realism and good laughs.

The one person I do not recommend is Sue Grafton. I find her totally unreadable.

If you like the British clever kind of mystery without too much gore (such as Agatha Christie), then I recommend, in order of quality

Dorothy Sayers (queen of intellectual, literary puzzles, Lord Peter Wimsey–Nine Tailors is a good one to start with)
Ngaio Marsh (Alleyn, CID, lots of theater/art themes, often in NZ or Australia)
Margery Allingham (the Campion series, he acts idiotic to hide his cleverness, often involves international plots of dastardliness)
Patricia Wentworth (Miss Silver (rather like Miss Marple only not) and others, your basic cozy murder mystery, always ends with a wedding)

These are all older authors btw, most of them take place before or during WWII, though Marsh wrote right up through the 70’s. But they’re all still in print or in your library.

Written in 1860.

I disagree. Nine Tailors is the one I did start with, and it almost put me off reading any more of hers. I can see why people like it, but I don’t think it’s particularly typical of the rest of hers, nor does it do the best job of “keeping you enthralled til the end.”

So obvious it may not be worth mentioning, but just in case:
If you have not read Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, do so. Start with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes if you like short stories or The Hound of the Baskervilles if you prefer novels.

I too wouldn’t recommend The Nine Tailors to a newcomer to Sayers. It’s filled with the bell-ringing trivia and is only slightly more compelling than the very very dry The Five Red Herrings.

I like both books, but I don’t think they are as wonderful as some of the others. I’d recommend Whose Body? or Strong Poison for newcomers.

Yep. I’m happily working my way through the Wolfe series. Some of the stories are very dated (I’m reading one now which uses the N word rather frequently) but they’re all very well written, and I’m having a fine time with them. I’m trying to pace myself, as I don’t want to run out of new-to-me Wolfe stories too quickly.

M.C. Beaton writes 2 series. The Hamish MacBeth series features a Scottish constable in a small town. The majority of those titles start with “Death and the…” The second series is Agatha Raisin, starring Agatha Raisin, a former London PR person who retires and settles in a small country village. Both are of the “cozy” type, although not as “nice” as Miss Marple. Mary Dahiem is another “cozy” type author with two series. In one series the titles all start “The Alpine…”. The word after Alpine works it way alphabetically A-Z (that sounds stupid). I thinks she’s up to P. The Alpine stories feature a female newspaper editor in a small Washington state town. Her second series takes place in a B and B. Yet another cozy author with two series is Jill Churchill. One is a modern day series set in a Chicago suburb featuring a 30-40 age widow with kids. Those titles are all puns like “Grime and Punishment.” Second series features a brother and sister who are left penniless in the Depression but inherited a mansion on the Hudson from their uncle. Those titles feature lines from the era’s songs like “Anything Goes” and are also called the “Grace and Favor” mysteries.

I’ve been reading a lot of mysteries set in ancient Rome. My favorites are Steven Saylor’s series starring Gordianus the Finder. The first one is called Roman Blood and is in print. Some other good ones are Lindsay Davis’s series (I’ve only read the first one, The SIlver Pigs) and the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts (thanks, Baker!).