The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-03-2005, 09:27 PM

How long should a man's fingernails be?

I've been told several times that my fingernails are too long. I don't think they are- opinions on socially acceptable length for a man's fingernails, please.
Advertisements  
Old 06-03-2005, 09:37 PM

Short. There really shouldn't be a lot of the white part of the nail. Cut that off when its easily done so.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:15 PM

I'd say the white part should be 1 mm or less.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:54 PM

Clearly, they should be the optimal length to maximize the efficiency of the ass-scratching protocol.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:27 PM

They should be long as you wish them to be. Let no one victimize you like that unless you enjoy being such a victim. Think for yourself.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Carroll
They should be long as you wish them to be. Let no one victimize you like that unless you enjoy being such a victim. Think for yourself.
Sadly, the only way to follow this advice is to ignore it.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

I dunno about any other man's fingernails, but I like to keep mine about half a centimeter shorter than the finger itself. (Any shorter than that and it bleeds too much when I bite it).
Old 06-04-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2001

But then if you ignore it, aren't you really following it?
Old 06-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

When I was a young'un taking piano lessons, my piano teacher insisted I keep my fingernails short. It's been quite awhile since I played the piano, but I still feel uncomfortable when my fingernails get more than a little long.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 AM
graphite is a great moderator

You're looking for opinions. GQ is for questions which have at least a hope of a factual answer.

Moved by

samclem GQ moderator
Old 06-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

Short. That's what Sister Marie Bernard always said. When I was in primary school we were required to line up in front of the teacher each morning so that she could inspect our fingernails and see that they were clean and short.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:13 AM

There is no standard on this. Go what with you're comfortable with.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:27 AM

Short, with two exceptions:

One thumbnail, and one pinky nail, on alternate hands, should be left a bit longer than all others.

The thumbnail is for those things manly men do which are made easier with a thumbnail as a handy (pun intended) cutting or prying tool... opening packages, for example.

The pinky nail is for digging earwax out of your ears.

What? Come on, you do it too!
Old 06-04-2005, 06:46 AM

Long enough for you to be able to give really nice back-scratching to your Significant Other.

As far as a more readily measurable length goes, thouhg, at least to the tips of your fingers. (Says she of the incredibly badly bitten nails, whose hands are ugly. Perhaps hypocritically, I love beautiful hands with strong, healthy nails on a man.)
Old 06-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How long should a man's fingernails be?
Long enough to reach the ground.
Or is that legs?
I always get those parts mixed up....
Old 06-04-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink
When I was a young'un taking piano lessons, my piano teacher insisted I keep my fingernails short. It's been quite awhile since I played the piano, but I still feel uncomfortable when my fingernails get more than a little long.
And I have heard guitar players argue about whether nails should be grown just a bit past the tips of the fingers on the playing hand ("nature's own picks") or cut very short on both hands because they just get in the way. I suspect it all comes down to your personal playing style there. (Fella bilong missus flodnak plays guitar, I don't.)

I'm used to seeing men with short nails, so that's what I generally prefer, but as far as I'm concerned the only rule, and it goes for both sexes, is to keep 'em clean.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:49 AM

...and for og's sake, clip those nasty yellow toe nails too!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flodnak
And I have heard guitar players argue about whether nails should be grown just a bit past the tips of the fingers on the playing hand ("nature's own picks") or cut very short on both hands because they just get in the way.
They get in the way on the left hand (fretting hand). Having them on the picking hand (for fingerstyle) is neat but not incredibly useful.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:49 AM

My preference for men's hands is for the nails to be no longer than the tip of the finger. That way he can still open things for me and scratch my back but his hands don't look more feminine than mine! Though it's a good idea for you to get a manicure every so often for the health of your nails.
On a side note, a tip for guys; at the beginning of warm weather season wherever you live, do us all a favor and go get a pedicure. It won't run you more than 20 bucks typically, 'cause you're not getting them painted and it will help your toenails to grow more healthily; they won't ingrow, they'll be shaped not to catch on things or split, etc. Everyone should get a pedicure once in awhile but I know men need a little push moreso than women.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:06 AM

I personally like to keep my fingernails long (about a quarter of an inch), but everyone else says I should cut them.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:22 AM

Short is my personal preference. Long nails on guys skeeves me out, for some reason.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:19 PM

I find that for that white part to be about one centimeter is ideal. Longer than that, and the chance of breakage increases quite rapidly (and then you have a short, uneven, ugly nail instead). Shorter, and you can't use it properly for all the little practical things that come in handy, like picking up hot things.

There are some people who will react negatively to me because of them, of course, but I suspect these are mainly people I wouldn't really want to hang out with anyway. And there are other people who compliment me on them (sometimes with envy ).
Old 06-04-2005, 02:22 PM

The white shouldn't go beyond the tip of the finger. Longer than that and you start to look Howard Hughesian (the later, crazy Hughes, of course).
Old 06-04-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerOfTheNorth
Short is my personal preference. Long nails on guys skeeves me out, for some reason.
Same here. As a guess, I'd say that longer than about 1mm is too long for me.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:49 PM

Guitarist checking in. On my left hand I keep all the nails just a tad shorter than the tip of my fingers. On the right all of the nails except the pinkie are just a little longer than my fingers. The pinkie nail is kinda long, but I use it alot for strumming.

Slee
Old 06-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerOfTheNorth
Ditto.

And CLEAN. They should be clean.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:45 PM

Gods, yes. They gotta be clean.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:12 PM

Short is best. If they're going to be long, they should be broad and blunt. I know a guy who wears his fingernails long and shaped and tapered, and it's just too damn girly. It's very unattractive to me.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:23 PM

Trimmed. Not bitten, but trimmed.

Quote:

That's precisely the reason my father keeps his pinkie nails long. He has such a sly sense of humor. He likes to paint, and once he painted a picture of a woman sitting up in bed with a transparent shirt on. When asked by one of his friends, "How'd you get her to pose for that?" he replied

SPOILER:
I told her to put her shirt on.

I love my dad. Hijack over.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
They get in the way on the left hand (fretting hand). Having them on the picking hand (for fingerstyle) is neat but not incredibly useful.
I wish I could grow decent nails on my right hand. They may be no good for most popular styles, but they are absolutely essential for playing classical guitar. My own guitar playing lacks a certain bit of snap because I don't have any nails whatsoever; stuff like Bach or Villa-Lobos doesn't sound right without a bit of nail.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
That was laugh-out-loud funny. A good ending to a bad week at work.

I would say 1-2 mm and the reasoning is that you don't want to dig into another man's hand when shaking hands.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:25 PM

Who cares? Just keep them as long as you want! But CLEAN! Toenails should be clean, too.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:09 PM

As a pianist, I keep mine short enough that when I hit the keys, I never, ever hear the sound of nail hitting ivory. And as a guitarist, I keep them short enough that on my left hand, the nails never touch the fretboard, in other words, I get full finger contact. I don't pick with my nails...wait, do I? No, I don't think so. But it would look very strange to have nails on one hand longer than on the other. So, relatively short, and above all, clean.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:07 AM

I keep mine very short; the white part is never more than a millimeter. They're easier to keep clean that way, and I can do all sort of nifty things when giving a massage without worrying about nicking the recipient.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

What is this "white" of which you speak?
Old 06-05-2005, 06:14 PM

Another vote for trimmed and short. And clean. If you're going to keep them on the long side, then get a good nail brush and clean those babies every single day.

Ewwww. Yellow jagged edged toenails. I won't sleep tonight.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckwall
Ewwww. Yellow jagged edged toenails. I won't sleep tonight.
Even worse is when it catches the sheet as you get into bed...like nails across a blackboard!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:19 AM

Iíve never seen a man with long fingernails. More than a mm at least. Mine never get longer than that. I couldnít even if I tried.

Iím a programmer, but I do enough manly man ô type stuff that they stay short pretty naturally, anything longer than about 1 mm, and Iím sure to catch it on something and rip it off.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:44 AM

For some reason long nails on guys FREAK ME OUT. There's something about the marked contrast between masculine hands and feminine nails that's just....ugh. Creepy.
Sometimes my husband gets a little lazy in cutting his, and when they start to ever come close to his fingertips, I clip them myself while he sleeps. I won't stand for long nails on no guy o' mine.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phnord Prephect

My dad kept his long pinky nail (and I quote) "to get boogers".

So really, it's a multi-function tool.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
Ick! I hate fingernails where there ain't no white.

Perfect nail length has white of 1-2 mm. I never use clippers, just bite one end and peel with the other hand.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Naah, perfect nail length is 1-2 mm.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:06 PM

If the skin at the tip of your finger ever rises above the surface of the nail itself, the nail is too short. I can't understand how people can trim or bite their nails that short.. it hurts if I cut mine much shorter than they are now.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:19 AM

Long enough that he can scratch your back.

But not so long that....well, has anyone seen Last Tango in Paris?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If the skin at the tip of your finger ever rises above the surface of the nail itself, the nail is too short. I can't understand how people can trim or bite their nails that short.. it hurts if I cut mine much shorter than they are now.
I can flip my hands upside down and type with the top sides with plenty of skin so that the nails need never touch down.

I've made progress over the years. The nailbeds have been in retreat for decades now. I will prevail! Soon they will be gone, done and over with! Nothing but consistently smooth skin wrapping back around and blending in borderlessly with the skin below the knuckles.

When you make new incursions, it only hurts for a day or two, and if you just squeeze where it bleeds with a tightly wound paper towel it stops and sometimes you can even pull another strip at that point, it doesn't really get much worse to continue with it.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:54 PM

Viola player here.

Short, short, short, almost nonexistant. All the time.

I cut my nails about twice a week.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:17 PM

I'd say that just about as short as you can get them by nibbling them off without chewing off the ends of your fingers and ripping out a cuticle.

Yes dammit, I was kidding.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:21 PM

I don't care how long a man keeps his nails. My dad's nails have always been long. I've never really paid attention to guy's nails as a whole.

But DeHusband must keep his nails short. Short enough for intimate contact. Or else he doesn't get intimate contact. One scratch and the mood is gone, buddy!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:52 PM

Checking in for: long nails on men skeeves me out.

First, it's apparent that I'm a child of the 80s because when I read (hear/see) "long pinky nail" I think, "coke finger" as in, needing one long fingernail to scoop cocaine out of the little stash bottle. I assume all men with one long pinky fingernail are cokeheads, I'm sorry. I had no idea there was another use.

Second, I prefer the nails to be really short and clean. I don't need a back scratch. And I don't need an at-home speculum-free pap smear either. I think about where a man might put those hands and : shudder : That's it.

I'm skeeved out.

Lesson for ya boys: clean and trim those nails if you want to get lucky.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:48 PM

Nothing worse than discovering a hangnail at the wrong moment.

And not being able to find the nailclippers you could have sworn were in your travel kit.