The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 06-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Mom locks kid in basement. Kid gets loose, and is killed by family's pit bulls. WTF.

This is the first time I've heard of this story. I'm left scratching my head for a few reasons:
  • Mom felt the pit bulls were a threat to her son.
  • Mom therefore locks son in the basement with a shovel on the door.
  • Mom says "It was Nicky's time to go. . ."

Am I missing something here, or did the gene pool just get four feet shallower?

Tripler
I fault Mom for not adequately protecting her son from an admittedly percieved threat.
Advertisements  
Old 06-12-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Rex was taken to a shelter, but Faibish said she wanted him put down.
I don't like capital punishment, but if any putting down is called for, the mom is the one.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:10 PM

It's been big news in the Bay Area since it happened. The Mayor of San Francisco is now considering some kind of regulations for Pit Bull ownership. As it is, talking heads are specualting that the pit bull wouldn't have been so dangerous had it been fixed.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Good thing one wasn't maned "Lassie".
Old 06-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Why the hell didn't she put the DOGS in the basement?

I hope she wakes up screaming from flashbacks of that poor kid's bloody shredded body, every night for the rest of her life.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffy
The Mayor of San Francisco is now considering some kind of regulations for Pit Bull ownership. As it is, talking heads are specualting that the pit bull wouldn't have been so dangerous had it been fixed.
How would this make the mother any less idiotic? The woman locked her son in the basement, with a shovel on the door (presumably jamming it shut). What was he supposed to do if there was a fire or a gas leak? Does this not constitute neglect or abuse?

This woman would be dangerous and irresponsible parent even if the dogs were a pair of toy poodles. I advocate spaying in this case...'cept I'd start with the owner.

Stranger
Old 06-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy
Probably because she couldn't count on her son to rip the throats out of any intruders.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:54 PM

Apparently there was a stupid bitch in the house that caused this problem though I'm sure the female dog was a factor too. Shit like this makes it hard to have faith in humanity. I hope the DA uses this waste of Oxygen's interview statements as evidence against her. I feel so bad for Nicholas that he lived in a house where his brutal death was shrugged off as "(his) time to go." My wife deals with this all the time when meth addicts can't figure out why their kids are taken away.

Someting else sad about this is that Pit Bulls can be extremely gentle and loving dogs if they are well socialized. My folks had a pair years ago and are raising a neglected pup now and all have been gentle as any large dog could be. I think that Rosie is as ugly as homemade sin but she has the sweetest affectionate personality.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:56 PM

NICKY'S TIME TO GO?????!!!!!
  • You keep vicious dogs in your house with your child;
  • You feared so much for your child's safety that you locked him in the basement;
  • You told him to stay put, even though you have to know that that warning is useless when dealing with a 12-year old;
And when your child is torn to pieces due to your stupidity and carelessness, you have the AUDACITY to lay this on the doorstep of some sort of predestination?!
Never mind the dogs; it's F*CKING IDIOTS like this that need to be fixed!!!!!
Old 06-12-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I hope she wakes up screaming from flashbacks of that poor kid's bloody shredded body, every night for the rest of her life.
Someday we'll have a device that gives the perpetrator the experience that the victim went through. I don't think the memory of just seeing her son's torn body will have an impact on her, she needs to feel what he suffered though before she'll get it.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padeye
Someting else sad about this is that Pit Bulls can be extremely gentle and loving dogs if they are well socialized..
Yup. Every generation has it's "demon" dog. In the '50s, we had German shepherds. In '70s, dobies. More recently Rottweilers and pit bulls.

Sure, the dogs are bred for certain qualities -- but incidents with them increase because the kind of asshole who wants a dog as a weapon selects for the most notorious ones. If the meme went around that Labs were viscious attack dogs, these cretins would get them and raise them accordingly, and Lab maulings would suddenly be more commonplace.

It's funny how responsible people have responsible dogs, innit?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:13 PM

What about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
"I put him down there, with a shovel on the door," Faibish said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "And I told him: 'Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me."
What a fucking cunt.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

As Stuffy said, this has been a major news story in the SF BAy Area since it happened. Here is an update in today's SF Chronicle online, which goes into more details than the OP's CNN story.

Quote:
From the linked article:
Quote:
The family had been packing for a move, and her husband, Steve Faibish, was out of town. Their two other children were also not home.

Maureen Faibish said she put Nicholas rather than the dogs in the basement because the room, which also served as a playroom for the children, was filled with plastic bags in preparation of their move. She figured the dogs would have destroyed the bags filled with clothes.
The mother is, not surprisingly, rather distraught and her statements are wildly inconsistent. She alternates between saying:
Quote:
"Even after the whole thing,'' she said, "I'm not mad at my dogs. I just love them to death.''
and:
Quote:
"I told them I wanted him put down. I think of Rex as someone who molested my child, murdered my child.''
Whatever her level of culpability in this matter, there is no doubt that she is suffering right now. I've always been led to understand that losing a child is worse than anything else. Whether it's worse than what happened to the son is beyond my ability to judge.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:48 PM

Oh yeah, "Oh, my stupid son, this is just like him to go and get himself killed!"

What the fucking HELL? There has to be more to this story. WHY would she keep such the animals if she was that afraid they'd hurt a family member? Why would you have to lock a fucking 12 year old in the basement? And then she just seems so goddamned blase about the whole thing.

I suspect there's something else going on.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train
How would this make the mother any less idiotic? The woman locked her son in the basement, with a shovel on the door (presumably jamming it shut). What was he supposed to do if there was a fire or a gas leak? Does this not constitute neglect or abuse?

This woman would be dangerous and irresponsible parent even if the dogs were a pair of toy poodles. I advocate spaying in this case...'cept I'd start with the owner.

Stranger
Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I was responding to the fact that the OP hadn't heard the story before now. I'm not excusing the waste of space "mother".
Old 06-12-2005, 05:09 PM

Did Nicky have mental or developmental problems? Why was his 9-year-old brother sent to the store to get him a snack? Why did she have to use a shovel on the door? I'm very much not understanding what went on here.

She seems awfully sure that the police "killed the wrong dog" - odd when she also asserts that "He's the most loving and giving dog in the world....There were no violent tendencies in him at all.''

Umm, lady? Mauling and killing your child goes a bit beyond "violent tendencies."
Old 06-12-2005, 05:32 PM

How is this woman not behind bars right now? How is she still allowed custody of her other child?

She's clearly a totally unfit parent with neither morals nor common sense.

My heart aches for her deceased son and his sister.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
"I put him down there, with a shovel on the door," Faibish said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "And I told him: 'Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me."
This is the quote that I hope gets charges filed, a conviction, and many years in prison for reckless endangerment, manslaughter, and anything else a DA can think of to throw at her.

So, not only did you get your son killed by dogs, when you told him to stay put, it was predictable that he wouldn't??!!

I agree with The Sausage Creature: What a fucking cunt.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:00 PM

Darwin Award By Proxy (unfortunately).

And what the heck -- er, hell -- is up with San Francisco pit bull owners? You'd think that ghastly case from a few years ago would have served as a wake-up call for the terminally obtuse, but no...
Old 06-12-2005, 07:23 PM

Diane Whipple. Except those weren't pits, they were a breed called Presa Canario.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I am still quite confused over this whole thing. . .

I agree with the majority that the mother was completely negligent in the situation. But I do agree with Guin and WhyNot in that I quoted a CNN article, but there might be more to the story than we're seeing. Can any SF Dopers shed any light?

On the initial facts, I still lay blame on the mother. And I pray for her son, even though he's somewhere more comfortable.

Tripler
:: sighs ::
Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the correction re. the Presa Canarios, another futile waste product of selective breeding. I should probably apologize to the pit bull owners out there (after all, I wouldn't want Pit Bull Nation to get angry with me), but I just can't bring myself to be that magnanimous right now, seeing as how these kinds of incidents keep happening with the dismal regularity of, say, Chinese Water Torture.

As for that shit stain of a mother, she should be bound hand and foot, ceremoniously smeared in jus de Alpo, and tossed into a pit full of feral, starving dogs.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler
I quoted a CNN article, but there might be more to the story than we're seeing. Can any SF Dopers shed any light?
The link that I gave in post #13, to the San Francisco Chronicle's update on the case earlier today, has a sidebar with further links to all of the articles they've had since the boy's death on June 3rd, as well as reader's comments. The Chronicle probably has as good a lead on the story as anyone outside of the police investigation itself.

I do agree, however, that there's something fishy about sending the 9-year-old brother out to the corner store to get food for the 12-year-old in the basement. Was he expected to brave the dogs to supply Nicky with food (or was there a basement window?). I expect something unusual will come out about this.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd
Yup. Every generation has it's "demon" dog. In the '50s, we had German shepherds. In '70s, dobies. More recently Rottweilers and pit bulls.

Sure, the dogs are bred for certain qualities -- but incidents with them increase because the kind of asshole who wants a dog as a weapon selects for the most notorious ones. If the meme went around that Labs were viscious attack dogs, these cretins would get them and raise them accordingly, and Lab maulings would suddenly be more commonplace.

Except that no matter how vicious chihuahua's are bred they couldn't kill people.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

They can annoy you to death.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:56 AM

Quote:

I find the story very strange. I have known a good share of pit bull owners (they were popular where I grew up) and I have never heard of a pit mauling a family member. Neighbors dogs, neighbors, passers-by, cops? Sure. But never a family member.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:30 AM

It does happen.

People need to really look into what breed of dog they are getting before they get one.

I know I am going to step on toes with this, but here I go anyway on my views of dog maulings.

There's a subset of people out there (I just call them scumbags - I deal with these sorts on a near-daily basis) that want to get a pit bull because they're intimidating and it helps bolster their weakass sense of manhood or whatever. Scumbag owner is 1. Unresponsible with the dog - not having it properly contained and socialized and 2. doesn't take the breeds characteristics into account when buying it; they just want a pitbull because they're "cool". The dog is often neglected and left to fend for itself and sometimes mistreated. Watch "Animals Cops" on Animal Planet sometime and see how often this exact scenario comes up. Then add to the blatant misuse of the dog's purpose the refusal of many owners to alter their animals. It's fucking sickening. This woman is negligent as fuck - for getting dogs that aren't well-suited as family dogs, for not altering them, and sure as fuck for putting her son in the basement - in and of itself not bad, but I have to wonder why the dogs had the run of the house and the child was barred into his basement play room with a fucking shovel wedged against the door. She's guilty of negligence of both her son and the dogs. The answer isn't to ban the dogs, it's to ban stupid fucking people from having them in the first place (I know that can never be legislated but I can dream, right?)

Sorry can you tell this is one of my hot-button issues?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:31 AM

Sorry spooje, you said a pit bull, but the article I linked had to do with a mastiff. Nonetheless, I am sure it has happened before across the whole spectrum of breeds.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padeye
Someday we'll have a device that gives the perpetrator the experience that the victim went through. I don't think the memory of just seeing her son's torn body will have an impact on her, she needs to feel what he suffered though before she'll get it.
We have that technology now. It's called...locking the prisoner in a room with an enraged/hungry animal. (Granted, it only allows the subject to go through the experience once...)
Old 06-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in the laudromat: Yeah, my pit bull attacked a child in the park. And then some nutjob shot a gun at my prize dog and blinded him. He din't have to do that. I'm suing the guy for blinding my dog.

What is it with dogs and their owners?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Faibish declined to say what triggered such concern that she insisted her son stay in the basement, away from the dogs.

"I don't want to go into any of that detail," she said. "That's between me and the detectives."

Very intriguing.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas
Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in the laudromat: Yeah, my pit bull attacked a child in the park. And then some nutjob shot a gun at my prize dog and blinded him. He din't have to do that. I'm suing the guy for blinding my dog.
That's amazingly nervy. Hey my ill trained animal attacked a small human being . . . but there was no need to actually y'know defend the poor kid.

I hope the laundromat pit bull owner never sees a penny. And then I hope the kid's parents countersue him for damages.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sausage Creature
Scumbag owner is 1. Unresponsible with the dog - not having it properly contained and socialized
And they don't spay or neuter their dogs.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

As The Sausage Creature and Padeye have pointed out- PitBulls can be gentle loving doggies. However, nowadays, they are purposely sought out as mean guard dogs, and trained to be mean attack animals. You can find crude hand-lettered ads for them just about everywhere in local black communities. (Since a lot of rap videos show rappers with these dogs- strainingand slavering on the end of chokechains and chain leashs- this breed has become common in the poorer black communitys as guard dogs. They are menat to "impress".)

It's not the breed- it's the people who buy the breed for this purpose- to be mean attack dog, and train them so.

What I think is that the sale of Pitbulls and PitBull-like breeds should be legislated as only through a registered Breeder. There are too many "back yard tuff dog" breeders for PitBulls, and they're the one causing the problems.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:03 PM

Makes me glad my taste in dogs-though I'm always sure to create a warm and loving environment for them-run in the Labrador Retreiver breeds...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth
As The Sausage Creature and Padeye have pointed out- PitBulls can be gentle loving doggies. However, nowadays, they are purposely sought out as mean guard dogs, and trained to be mean attack animals. You can find crude hand-lettered ads for them just about everywhere in local black communities. (Since a lot of rap videos show rappers with these dogs- strainingand slavering on the end of chokechains and chain leashs- this breed has become common in the poorer black communitys as guard dogs. They are menat to "impress".)

It's not the breed- it's the people who buy the breed for this purpose- to be mean attack dog, and train them so.

What I think is that the sale of Pitbulls and PitBull-like breeds should be legislated as only through a registered Breeder. There are too many "back yard tuff dog" breeders for PitBulls, and they're the one causing the problems.

I wonder if there's a way to regulate ownership of Pitbulls and other like breeds-not to ban anyone from owning one outright, but maybe you have to have a special license to do so.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

There's some video of Faibish from a television news segment. Mostly, she's just showing pictures of her son. She says "I just want people to know that he was a real human being." I wonder why she thinks she's in a position to remind anyone of that, after locking him in the goddamn basement.

Her only comment on the mauling itself is "I don't want people to make this a dog thing. It was an accident. It was something that happened, and I think God has a plan for everybody and it was time for Nicky to go. I have a lot of guilt, but I have to realize that, you know, he was destined to go at this time."

"God did it!" Great defense, lady. It was Divine Providence that he was born to a negligent mother.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
I wonder if there's a way to regulate ownership of Pitbulls and other like breeds-not to ban anyone from owning one outright, but maybe you have to have a special license to do so.
Hmm, that might work along with "can be bought only from certified breeders". Good idea.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Reason # 1,483 why I fucking hate people. We had a case locally a year or two back where some waste of fucking oxygen locked her 3 year old son inside her Rottweiler's dog pen while she went back inside to sit on her ass and watch Springer or Oprah or whatever shitwitted show the local trailer trash watch while they're sitting around waiting for the welfare check to show up. That baby was in pieces when she finally came back outside.

Forget licensing people to own certain types of dogs; I'm beginning to think we should license people to have kids.

As a sidenote, ever notice how the kind of people who like to have big tuff guard dogs chained up outside don't look like they'd have a damn thing worth stealing?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonius Block
The mother is, not surprisingly, rather distraught and her statements are wildly inconsistent. She alternates between saying: and:Whatever her level of culpability in this matter, there is no doubt that she is suffering right now. I've always been led to understand that losing a child is worse than anything else. Whether it's worse than what happened to the son is beyond my ability to judge.
I think we need to keep this in mind before we jump all over some of the mother's statements. For instance, the statement about it "being his time to go" strikes me as trying to come to grips with his death, not a dismissal of his life. Also, the "typical Nicky" response sounds like she misses her mischeivious child. I wouldn't take that to mean that she was actually thinking 'he'll escape, as usual' when she locked him in. (She obviously wasn't thinking at all...) The sound bites that we're getting are from a very distraught woman and they are filtered through the media. I wouldn't string her up based on any of those comments.

However, I do think the story sounds a bit fishy. If she's so worried about the dog, even for a day, she should get the dog out of the house, not lock up her 12-year old.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stilettos
I think we need to keep this in mind before we jump all over some of the mother's statements. . . . .The sound bites that we're getting are from a very distraught woman and they are filtered through the media. I wouldn't string her up based on any of those comments.
I agree. Grief can make people say very odd things, and unless the woman is a complete sociopath (which I doubt) she is extremely traumatized by finding her son in bloody shreds on her bedroom floor.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville
And they don't spay or neuter their dogs.
I think I said that.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sausage Creature
I think I said that.
But it evidently needs to be said more often, because some people just aren't getting the message.

That was my first thought on reading about this incident- WTF were they doing with an unneutered male dog, of a breed that is well-known to be potentially aggressive, in a home with kids?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:47 PM

From the Chronicle article:

Quote:
Faibish said she and her husband decided not to spay or neuter their dogs because they wanted their puppies. She said Rex had been eager to mate with Ella, but the female dog was resisting his advances.

"I used to say to Ella, just go ahead and let him do it," Faibish said. "Get it over with.''
"Close your eyes and think of England"? WTF?

I thought, with dog breeding, that if the bitch was in heat, then she, like, was, and then they did it, and that was it. No? She has to have candy-and-flowers first?

And I also thought that if the bitch wasn't, like, totally in heat, that she couldn't, physically, do it. Period. No? She really can "close her eyes and think of England"?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Francisco Chronicle
Faibish said she and her husband decided not to spay or neuter their dogs because they wanted their puppies.
People who have kids should not be breeding pit bulls. Or any other large dogs known for aggressive tendencies.

These people are clearly so clueless, they shouldn't be breeding any dogs, much less dogs with as much potential to be dangerous as pit bulls.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:40 PM

There has been some aluding to this, but no one has yet come out and said it here yet.

I think she set the whole thing up. I think she murdered her son with dogs. She sent the 12 year old out, and left the kid in a situation she knew would lead to his death, or at least injury.

When Susan Smith murdered her children, the detectives thought there was something "hinky" with her reaction to the deaths. I see a whole lot o' HINKY with this womans reaction and statements.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooje
I find the story very strange. I have known a good share of pit bull owners (they were popular where I grew up) and I have never heard of a pit mauling a family member. Neighbors dogs, neighbors, passers-by, cops? Sure. But never a family member.
Here's a case that occured in Charlotte, NC- I work at the hospital the boy was brought to. People from the ER said that the place was a wreck after seeing what was (literally) left of him. Horrible. (this was a son at his father's house, the dogs were his fathers')
http://www.news14charlotte.com/conte...asp?ArID=95098
Old 06-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's some video of Faibish from a television news segment. Mostly, she's just showing pictures of her son. She says "I just want people to know that he was a real human being." I wonder why she thinks she's in a position to remind anyone of that, after locking him in the goddamn basement.
Dude, she seems way too cheery in that video. Almost as if she's in some sort of denial or something.

She truly is weird.

Tripler
I just can't get over thinking of that poor little kid, tho. . .
Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 AM

I have a few questions

1. Why was a nine year old sent out alone to get the kid some food and video games?
2. Why wouldnt the stupid bitch move her plastic bags to another room and keep the dogs in the basement?
3. Why was there a need to lock him in the basement? If you're going to lock a kid somewhere, why not just lock him in the house with full access to food and such?
4. Why the hell was she locking him anywhere? Couldnt her father look after him? Could she not take him with her? Or doesnt her trailer trash beauty parlour allow kids? Does he have no friends of whose parents could mind him?
5. Why in fucks name is she breeding dogs that get even slightly defensive. Here's a tip, get something fat and dopey. Its less likely to kill your kids.
6. Why does she own dogs like these, (refer to tip in point 5) ?
7. So what if the male dog wants to fuck. So what if you want puppies. Go to the pound, people like you dump hundreds of dogs there every year, I'm sure you can find someone elses unwanted flea bags. Why are puppies more important to you than your kids?
8. Who cares which do the police shot. You dont know for sure which one killed you kid. it was probably both of them. Probably because you neglect them, just like you neglect your kids, and they were hungry.
9. Why would you say that it was Nicky's time? Its your fault. You put him in that situation.
10. Are you planning on ever procreating again? I should hope not.

Well done assholes. You fucking cunted up cunt heads.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Smart, Hip, Dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN Article
Ella was shot to death by a police officer the day of the attack.
I was happy to see the police take such swift and decisive action until I realised the mother's name wasn't Ella.