Old 07-25-2000, 07:49 PM

I really like children's books. I often read them for pleasure (and not just because the Harry Potter craze has taken everyone by the short curlies).

I wondered what other people's favorite children's books were/are. They may be from your childhood, or books that you've read to your children and really liked. Or, if you're like me, books that you've discovered recently, and have kept the embers of kiddie lit glowing.

My favorites are

Ferdinand
The Encyclopedia Brown series
What Happened in Hamelin
by Gloria Skurzynski (find it, read it, you'll love it!)
The Captain Underpants books
Harry Potter
Most Chris Van Allsburg
Tuesday

"You, dear Dave, are a God."
Persephone (in a private e-mail)
Old 07-25-2000, 08:00 PM

I enjoyed the Encyclopedia Brown series.
My personal favorite is "The Oddkins" by Dean Kootz
Yes the author of "wathers" and "lightning"

Osip
Old 07-25-2000, 08:01 PM

Well, that depends on what you consider a "children's story".
But I'll go with any and all of Roal Dahl (did I spell that right) and JRR Tolkien.
Old 07-25-2000, 08:12 PM

err watchers... fricking mistyped grrr.....

Osip
Old 07-25-2000, 08:16 PM

Let's see what I can remember

the Ramona Quimby books
the Fudge Hatcher books
The Children of Green Knowe
101 Dalmations
The Dark is Rising series
So You Want to be a Wizard
The Littles
Charlotte's Web
the Black Stallion books
James and the Giant Peach
Treasure Island
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Oliver Twist
Rabbit Hill
any Robin Hood related stories
the Chronicles of Narnia
All Aboard for Freedom
The Incredible Journey
The Jungle Book

There's probably more, but that's all I remember right now.
Old 07-25-2000, 08:19 PM

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Kat took all the booooo-ooooooks!

Just kidding.

The Boxcar Children
Tarzan
Wizard of Oz
Old 07-25-2000, 08:36 PM

The Phantom Tollbooth

Narnia

Where the Wild Things Are

Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner

My younger daughter is on a hiatus from Oz. She has read up to number ten, _Rinkitink in Oz_, since school got out. I am insisting she read three other books before she gets the next in the series. She is now on page 62 of _The Hobbit_. She has read _Charlotte's Web_ and _Stewart Little_.

Not bad for someone who just turned seven in June.

My older daughter seems to only read Harry Potter lately.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 07-25-2000, 08:52 PM

The PHantom Tollbooth
Where's Waldo
LOVED! Encylopedia Brown
Tales of a 4th grade Nothing
Polar Express
A series of books.. I don't remember the series name..t hey were by Lloyd Alexander... the books were
The Book of Three
The Black Cauldron
(shoot I forget the 3rd and 5th.. the fourth is
Taran Wanderer)
Those were excellent books
Where the REd Fern Grows.

Screeme (I'm not a book)
Old 07-25-2000, 08:58 PM

The Giving Tree (which can be found at http://members.tripod.com/KINGSCOVE/THE-GIVING-TREE )

and anything else by Shel Silverstein
Old 07-25-2000, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Screeme -- do The Castle of Llyr and The High King ring any bells? The series is called the Chronicles of Prydain. (The former children's bookstore clerk strikes again.)

Of course I took the job because children's books are one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Especially Anne of Green Gables, A Little Princess, the All-of-a-Kind Family series, and Laura Ingalls Wilder. I can't wait 'til I have a daughter so I'll have a good excuse for indulging. A boy just wouldn't be the same, although I do have fond memories of J. D. Fitzgerald's Great Brain series -- and the Harry Potters are pretty good, although they're too new to evoke all those layers of childhood memories.
Old 07-25-2000, 09:39 PM

The Black Stallion Series
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Little House on the Prarie Series
The Nancy Drew Series (The old ones. Not the new ones)
The Ann of Green Gables series
The Secret Garden
The Little Princess
The Jungle Book
And of course, The Ramona Quimby Series

I have a lot of "series" books, don't I?
Old 07-25-2000, 09:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

That's funny...SaxFace came by my office yesterday and asked me for a buncha recommendations for children's book, as she wanted to surprise a co-worker with a gift.

She expressed a fondness for James Marshall's picture books about the Stupid family, and I advised her to seek out the same author/illustrator's books about George and Martha, two massively unwieldy hippos who indulge in tightrope-walking, ballet, high-diving, etc.

Martha is always elegant in a long skirt and matching handbag, with a tulip behind her ear, while the dapper George invariably carries a walking stick and wears a Homburg. They're touted as "the best of friends," but they occasionally descend into activities like spraying each other with garden hoses and playing other evil tricks.

I give these out regularly as kids' birthday gifts, knowing that the parents who read them will be just as pleased as the children who hear them.

One other must-have for any household with kids: The Oxford Book of American Children's Poetry.

The goblins'll GETCHA iffn' you don't watch OUT!!!!
Old 07-25-2000, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I used to love series (series-es?) too. My two favorites of all time are the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and the Maud Hart Lovelace "Betsy-Tacy" books. The best thing in the world was getting a new book in a series. I remember dropping everything to read the new ones, even resorting to the flashlight under the covers trick.

I also liked Encyclopedia Brown (those were cheap, so I could save up for new ones pretty quickly)
the Great Brain books
the "Soup" books by Robert Newton Peck?
the Noel Streatfeild "Shoes" books
the All-of-a-Kind Family books
the Black Stallion books

I never much liked Anne of Green Gables, but I loved L.M. Montgomery's "Emily" trilogy.

I still read and reread children's books, especially my favorites, quite often.
Old 07-25-2000, 10:17 PM

A Rat's Tale by Tor Seidler.

Cute, easy to read, has gorgeous illustrations, and most of all, it's about RATS! (which are the best small animal pets BTW)
Old 07-25-2000, 10:42 PM

The BFG by Roald Dahl I still love it!!

The Boxcar Children =) I always wanted to live with them!

Have you ever heard of
Rats, Spiders, and Love

I forget the author but I have the book autographed by her.
Old 07-25-2000, 11:03 PM

So that's how you spell his name. Well I'll be...
Old 07-25-2000, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by D Marie

the "Soup" books by Robert Newton Peck?

I have always loved these books! In fact, I went to a local school's book fair not too long ago and bought A Day No Pigs Would Die which I have just discovered is on the list of most frequently banned books in the 1990s! WHY?
Old 07-25-2000, 11:55 PM

I still read childrens books. My favorites were/are:

Oz-all 14
Prydian
Narnia
Roald Dahl
Encyclopedia Brown
The Great Brain
The Secret Garden/Little Princess
Ramona
Emily of New Moon
Adrian Mole
Bridge to Terabithia
The Trumpeter Swan
The Railway Children
The Wishing Chair
Beatrix Potter
The Iron Man
The Donkey Prince

And of course, Harry Potter
2 : not holy because unconsecrated, impure, or defiled : UNSANCTIFIED
Old 07-26-2000, 12:37 AM

The Tailor of Gloucester
Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time trilogy

David/Leigh Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series, although I don't know if they would be considered children's books.

From when I was very young: Santa Mouse. It was one of the first books I was able to read and I still have it.
Old 07-26-2000, 01:17 AM

Hmmm...everything you guys said. :^) I'm such a bookworm that I've read basically every book mentioned in this thread.

Anyone ever read any Brian Jacques books or Watership Down? For you animal lovers (hey, admit it, I saw Rabbit Hill, George and Martha, Beatrix Potter, etc mentioned) you'd really enjoy these books.

It's good to read the books once when you're a child, but read them again and again as the years go by. I didn't notice the Christian undertones of the Chronicles of Narnia until I read the books a few times, for instance. And when you read books a few times through you catch a lot of things that you missed the first time around.

The first two books I ever read by myself were "In a People House" and "Look Out For Pirates!" Odd, huh?
Old 07-26-2000, 06:03 AM

Favorites as a kid:
Peppermint Fence
Everything by Richard Scary and Dr. Suess
Encyclopedia Brown
Hardy Boys
Clifford B. Hicks' Alvin Fernald books
Where the Red Fern Grows
Stuart Little
The Just So Stories
Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time trilogy
Encyclopedia Brown
Hardy Boys
The Phantom Tollbooth
Where the Wild Things Are

And the ones I didn't read until later:
The Jungle Books
Watership Down
Narnia
Old 07-26-2000, 06:14 AM

I also love children's books and I second (or third) most everything in this thread. Especially, (these are books I still re-read often, although it is by no means a complete list of my favorites!):

the Betsy/Tacy books -- the High School and older ones are my particular favorites.

the Little House books -- I HATED the TV series!

the All-of-a-kind Family books -- they made me want to be Jewish.

the Narnia books

the Great Brain books -- Has anyone else read Fitzgerald's memoirs for adults? Interesting look at the genesis of this fun series.

anything by Beverly Cleary -- I prefer the Henry Huggins series to Ramona, though, for some reason. And Otis Spofford is my absolute favorite. Also, Cleary's memoirs are fascinating.

anything by Rumer Godden -- I want the last few paragraphs of The Doll's House to be read at my funeral.

As for new children's books... has anyone read Holes by Louis Sachar? Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Totally left Harry Potter in the dust, as far as I'm concerned. Although, I DID like the Harry books, too.
Old 07-26-2000, 06:17 AM

Sweet Valley High series (up to number seventy something)
everything by Christopher Pike
Forever by Judy Blume
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
Superfudge
The Chronicles of Narnia
Encylcopedia Brown
The Adventures of the Black Hand Gang
Where the Red Fern Grows

I started reading Stephen King when I was 9, so
Carrie
Cujo
Old 07-26-2000, 07:09 AM

My 10 year old talked nonstop about Holes for days and then re-read it 3 or 4 times. She also really enjoyed Walk Two Moons.

For younger children, I love anything by Robert Munsch. My favorite is Purple, Green and Yellow.
Old 07-26-2000, 07:36 AM

I agree with most of Pepperlandgirl's selections, plus the Encyclopedia Brown series,and most Dr. Suess (especially Horton hears a who)
BUT
my all time FAVORITE kids book, that I give to all new parents is Boynton's "But not the Hippopotomus" I started reading that to my son when he was an infant and I swear, he loved it, too - the sing/song rhyming "A bear and a Hare have been to the fair..... but not the Hippopotomus" gads, I can still quote it all from memory 16 years later. it's a "board " book, very sturdy, very funny. "and she just doesn't know, should she stay, should she go"....
Old 07-26-2000, 07:57 AM

For little kids:
Make Way for Ducklings I'd always scream "WELCOME MR. and MRS. MALLARD!" to passing ducks in the spring.
Where The Wild Things Are there is a Max doll in his wolf's suit sitting on top of my monitor even as I type.
ELOISE! My all time favorite picture book. The cover says it's a book for pretentious adults, but any kid will love it. I also own Eloise in Paris and Eloise at Christmastime, but they're not as good as the original.
David is Mad very obscure
Tiki Tiki Tembo named my cat after it
Ferdinand refused to sit in the grass after we read that one. Hey, if a bull can get stung on the ass, so can a little girl.
The Mouses' Terrible Christmas My sisters and I still make my mom read it to us at Christmas
That's enough for now, but there are oodles more.

For older kids:
Narnia
Anne of Green Gables
Little House

I read a LOT as a kiddie.
Old 07-26-2000, 08:14 AM

The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Suess. What a story. I read it once every few months, just to remind myself to be tolerant. Suess has such a way of teaching moral lessons without you knowing it.

When I was a kid, I was a big fan of The Boxcar Children.

"I think i love you Joey Hemlock. I love you because you'd ride the pony." - Francesca
Old 07-26-2000, 08:45 AM

Lots of stuff spring to mind. Madeline L'Engle is probably near the top for me. Did anyone else read the "McBroom" books by Sid Fleischman. I loved those when I was a kid.
Old 07-26-2000, 09:52 AM

STINKY CHEESE MAN !!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2000, 10:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey, DAVE, should we be differentiating between picture books and what my kids have been taught to call "chapter books" ?

I like Maurice Sendak's IN THE NIGHT KITCHEN almost as much as his WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. He got into big trouble back in 1970 for showing Little Mickey's little mickey.

Julius Lester's books of African-American folk tales, especially his rewriting of Joel Chandler Harris's "Uncle Remus" stories into contemporary black vernacular.

ANY good collection of folk tales and/or urban legends. One excellent volume with an amazing variety is Maria Leach's massive THE RAINBOW BOOK OF AMERICAN FOLK TALES AND LEGENDS, unfortunately out of print, but worth doing a web-search for. Leach also gave us the terrific spook collection THE THING AT THE FOOT OF THE BED.

I love THE SNEETCHES, too, but the story in that volume that captured BOTH my kids attentions (and mine, when I was small) is "What Was I Afraid Of?" "Well, I was deep inside the woods when suddenly I spied them...I saw a pair of pale green pants, with nobody inside them!!!" Those empty damn pants scared the living shit out of me.
Old 07-26-2000, 10:12 AM

Wow! This topic really brings back my youth. A lot of what I liked has been metioned already, but what the heck:
  • The Chronicles of Narnia - read 'em all at least twice
  • The Three Investigators - anyone else read these? Jupiter Jones and the gang kicked the Hardy Boys' butts
  • Encyclopedia Brown
  • The Great Brain - God, I had forgotten all about these
and a couple picture books I remember fondly:
  • Katy and the Big Snow
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • Curious George - loved 'em as a kid, don't see the appeal now as a parent. Not very well written.
Old 07-26-2000, 10:13 AM

The Thing at the Food of the Bed IS a great book, Ike. I think there's also a book called "There's a Monster in My Closet" which made me refuse to open the closet door after dark.
Old 07-26-2000, 10:15 AM

And thanks, Uke, for the great suggestions!

I loved these books:

Flat Stanley
The Trumpet of the Swan
Summer of the Monkeys
Little House on the Prairie, et al
The Stupids
Shel Silverstein
Boxcar Children

Hilariously, I had to stop reading Shel Silverstein when I was about 8. I was sick with the flu once, read the poem about the girl eating the whale, got really dizzy and sick to my stomach and threw up all over the place. Even though I enjoy them, I still associate his books with vomit.
Old 07-26-2000, 10:24 AM

My three favorite books as a kid were:

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Bloom. The sequel Superfudge was good too, but I preferred the original.

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary. Not that i didn't like the Ramona books, but this was easily my FAVORITE book as a child. It was teh first one I read that wasn't just funny. It was my first 'serious' book and simply wonderful.

Bunnicula, The Celery Stalks at Midnight, Howliday Inn, Return to Howliday Inn , Bunnicula Strikes Again, Nighty-Nightmare Rabbit-cadabra all by James Howe. Bunnicula was the Harry Potter of my youth. I LOVED these books. All my friends LOVED these books. We'd read them over and over and wait for the next one to come out. The basic story was about a bunny rabbit that was adopted by a family, that they named Bunnicula after finding him abandoned outside a showing of the movie Dracula. The family's other pets(Harold, Chester, and Howie), however, begin to suspect that his name has a more sinister connection... These books were GREAT fun, and I loved every page of them. Does anyone else remember the Bunnicula series?
Old 07-26-2000, 10:35 AM

- Madeline L'Engle's books - Wrinkle in Time, The Austins, everything.
- Where the Wild Thinks Are
- okay - going obscure here - George and the Purple Crayon
- The Phantom Toll Booth
- Shel Silverstein stuff
- original Nancy Drew books
- A Little Princess
- Anne Rinaldi books (especially Wolf by the Ears)
- The Littles
- Avi books

and lots lots more that just aren't coming to mind now . . .
Old 07-26-2000, 11:07 AM

Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert Heinlein. First book (other than comics) I ever read--Heinlein's juvenile novels are excellent (except perhaps Podkayne of Mars). I also liked (and still enjoy) pretty much everything Dr. Seuss. For new stuff, I like the Harry Potter Books, and I'm very happy to see kids reading them.

Of course, I was the kid reading Shield of Three Lions in first grade--and having to explain the rape scene to my teacher.
Old 07-26-2000, 11:22 AM

Where the Wild Things Are still has a hold on me. The story and illustrations were so captivating.

I never realized that everybody else liked this book, too, until one day I was in some 'hippy store' and one of the T-shirts they had for sale on the wall had the book's characters on it. I gasped so loud I startled those around me!

Charlotte's Web is another one of those children's books that seems to stick with you forever.

I loved Return to Oz more than The Wizard of Oz.

When I was a little older kid, I totally got into Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries. And there was also this children's line of biographies on famous Americans that I just devoured. I'm certain it kindled my interest in history. (Went on to have a history minor in college.)
Old 07-26-2000, 12:06 PM

Denbo-were the three investigators the Alfred Hickcock series?
I always really liked D'Laures (?) Book of Greek Myths.
Old 07-26-2000, 12:21 PM

Anything by Steven Kellogg and of course..............

anything on "Reading Rainbow" - my favorite show of all time since its creation.
Old 07-26-2000, 12:23 PM

I forgot one - James and the Giant Peach
Old 07-26-2000, 12:27 PM

Peter Pan

Narnia

The Phantom Toll Booth

And A.A. Milne- not, actualy, the stories so much as the poetry-
"James, James
Morrison, Morrison
Whetherby George Duprey
Took
Great
Care of his Mother
Though he was only three."

of course to really appreciate them, you have to have my mother come over your house and read them to you.

There's a couple I almost forgot till i started working in a bookstore:

The Search for Delicious

The Light Princess (for the longest time I thought I dreamt that story)

Mistress Masham's Repose

If you don't know them, read them. Better yet, have children just so you can read them to them.
Old 07-26-2000, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by popokis5
Denbo-were the three investigators the Alfred Hickcock series?
Yep, those are the ones. Alfred Hitchcok would loan them his limo and they had their secret hideout in an old trailer buried in a junkyard. I never really understood the Hitchcock connection, but it's been a while. I heard that they are revising the old series and it no longer has any reference to Alfred Hitchcock...some kind of legal mumbo jumbo with his estate.
Old 07-26-2000, 12:44 PM

JESS -- I too love the Betsy/Tacy books, but mostly the later ones (high school and marriage). I went out an bought a bunch of them when they were reissued in paperback a couple years ago, but not the early ones ("Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill") because they're not as interesting to me.

I also read and re-read childrens' books. My favorite "chapter book" is one called The Brothers Lionheart by the woman who wrote Pippi Longstocking -- Lindstrom? It's very different from Pippi, though, a fantasy-type saga for an older reader -- what I think they now call "young adult." My favorite "picture book" is Arrow To The Sun, which I vividly recall reading and loving in first grade.

Other faves:

-- Louisa May Alcott books -- Little Women, Eight Cousins
-- The Dark Is Rising series
-- The Chronicles of Narnia
-- Scott O'Dell books -- Island of the Blue Dolphins
-- The Westing Game, which I recommend to every "young reader" I meet.

Some recently published favorites include Ella Enchanted, Catherine, called Birdy, and The Midwife's Apprentice, all more for girls than for boys. And, of course, Harry Potter.

My favorites for kids' poetry are Shel Silverstein's Where The Sidewalk Ends and A.A. Milne's Now We Are Six

Man, I love kids' books.
Old 07-26-2000, 12:52 PM

denbo-I though so. Those were really good. I still have the series packed away up in my attic. I looked for them at the bookstore for a friend's son, but I couldn't find them. (Pre-web). I hope when they revive them they reissue the old stories also.
Old 07-26-2000, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jayron 32

Bunnicula, The Celery Stalks at Midnight, Howliday Inn, Return to Howliday Inn , Bunnicula Strikes Again, Nighty-Nightmare Rabbit-cadabra all by James Howe. Bunnicula was the Harry Potter of my youth. I LOVED these books. All my friends LOVED these books. We'd read them over and over and wait for the next one to come out. The basic story was about a bunny rabbit that was adopted by a family, that they named Bunnicula after finding him abandoned outside a showing of the movie Dracula. The family's other pets(Harold, Chester, and Howie), however, begin to suspect that his name has a more sinister connection... These books were GREAT fun, and I loved every page of them. Does anyone else remember the Bunnicula series?
I do! I had at least 3-4 of those books and I loved them! Unfortunately, I went through this phase where I wanted to be a do-gooder so I took like 1/3 of my books and donated them to the library, and I think my Bunnicula books were among those. *sniffle sniffle*

Does anyone remember How to be a Perfect Person in Three Days? It was about a kid in 4th grade who thought he was a loser so he took this book out of the library telling him how to be perfect. It included wearing a piece of broccoli around his neck. I remember our teacher having us wear broccoli every day when we read that story. I love hands-on learning! :^)
Old 07-26-2000, 06:08 PM

Whenever these threads come along, I read through them quickly, desperately hoping that my Great Suggestion hasn't already been taken by someone else. Then I quickly hit Reply and compose a fast message, my heart pounding at the possibility of a simulpost.

So it is with great joy and alacrity that I mention:

The Tripod Trilogy. The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and The Pool of Fire, by John Christopher.

(Here's the Amazon link. This edition has the whole series in one volume.)

The first book was our in-class "story time" read-aloud selection in 5th or 6th grade. After less than a week, I was so hooked I went to the library, got all three books, and zipped straight through them. Appropriate for kids ages 8 to 15; adventurous, thoughtful, and just a little scary in all the right places.

If you haven't read these, do. They still hold up (mostly) for an adult reader. You're welcome...

P.S. A big "second the motion" to the George and Martha books. Wonderful, wonderful.
Old 07-26-2000, 07:31 PM

I loved Richard Scary as much for the illustrations as the storied themselves.You could sit and find all sorts of little details.Where's the goldbug?
When we were very little, my brother and I loved a Sesame Street book called "There's a Monster at the End of This Book".Throughout the book Grover is trying to talk you out of turning the page.It was just hysterical but not a good bedtime story.Got us too wound up.

Mrs.Piggle-Wiggle!She was a kind of good witch with all kinds of magical ways to get kids to behave and do what they were told.And she lived in an upside down house!How cool is that?

I read Watership Down to my hubby a few years ago and we both loved it.Now I've given it to my favorite niece and she's hooked too.Reading is such a fun addiction!
Old 07-26-2000, 07:36 PM

I can't belive I forgot:
Bunnicula
A Wrinkle In Time
Little Women
Pippi Longstocking

I just realized that I don't remember any picture books. I know my parents must have read them to me, but I can't think of a single one.
2 : not holy because unconsecrated, impure, or defiled : UNSANCTIFIED
Old 07-26-2000, 07:41 PM

I love the Louis Sachar series, Sideways Stories From Wayside School. I can't get enough of them. Also, Shel Silverstein's, A Light in the Attic, and all of its spin-offs.
Old 07-26-2000, 08:07 PM

I have so many, I will list but a few:

Where The Wild Things Are.

The Rainbow Fish.

Stellaluna.

The True Story of The Three Little Pigs. (ResevoirDog- This is by the same author as The Stinky Cheese Man, and one of my all time faves)

The Empty Pot.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

Green Eggs and Ham, and anything by Dr. Seuss.

A Light In The Attic, and anything by Shel Silverstein.

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.