HC/No HC-- signs on the expressway

I’ve been seeing a lot of signs on the expressway in OH lately saying HC, or HC with a line crossed through it.

How am I supposed to know if I can HC if I don’t even know what it means??? Maybe I’m HCing and don’t even know it. I don’t need no stinkin’ ticket for HCing when I shouldn’t be.

Anyone know what ‘HC’ means?

Happy

Ok, this might be totally wrong but I’ve asked someone this before and was told the HC is for hazardous cargo. I guess there’s certain routes they have to take or something.

Taking a moment to google, it seems this is the case.

Hazardous Cargo, baby.

I used to live near the intersection of 70 and 270 on the West Side of Columbus, right in the shadow of an HC BGS.

Well, this is certainly a relief.

Thanks for the replies!
(And Hyperelastic, we have the exact same anniversary date! 12-03-01)

Happy

Keep in mind that HC also (sometimes) includes things like propane bottles. So if you’re hauling your trailer through it, the large bottles on the front are not allowed. This would also apply to the gas bottle for your BBQ grill, if you were transporting it through such an area.

I’m sure other things apply too, but I’m not sure what they are. In general, though (I Think) this applies mostly to commercial vehicles (tankers, box trailers, etc.)

-Butler