The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Women's Brains during orgasm: New Study

Here on MSNBC - it is just text so safe for work.

It basically says that a brain scan shows that certain parts of womens' brains "shut down" during orgasm - if those cognitive parts are still after, they are faking it. So basically, if you can't "let go of your day" you can't come.

Is this surprising to anyone? I mean, having a clear scientific basis is always a good thing, but it seems pretty self-evident. A better question to me might be: how willing/able are you - male or female - at CHOOSING to let go of your day in pursuit of a pleasing sexual experience? It no doubt gets harder as you get older and you have more day-to-day pressures taking your thoughts hostage.

Question #2: can you imagine the test lab???
Advertisements  
Old 06-20-2005, 10:52 AM

I can have an orgasm whether I have things on my mind or not. And I never fake it.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 AM

How the heck would you do this study? I am having visions of an experimental subject strapped into a MRI machine, while a lab assistant attempts to induce orgasm.

Sounds like a letter to Penthouse. "I answered an ad in the student newspaper ..."
Old 06-20-2005, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan
if those cognitive parts are still after, they are faking it
My cognitive parts fake it all the time. It seems like it's a lot more related to calculus than to orgasms, though.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yes I can, but then I'm a perv.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
COPENHAGEN -
Seems like if you are a scientist looking to have some fun at work, this is the town you wanna move to.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ashtar
Yes I can, but then I'm a perv.
In fact, I can't STOP imagining the test lab now.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Damnit! Why did I pick school psychology? The other fields have so much fun. Digging through old Playboys, getting hit on my hot women on bridges, inducing orgasms. I suppose I could try stuff like that in my field, but I'd probably be fired/jailed.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
It no doubt gets harder as you get older and you have more day-to-day pressures taking your thoughts hostage.
Not necesarily.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrrl
I can have an orgasm whether I have things on my mind or not. And I never fake it.

Question #3: Who'd like to see Indygrrl take part in the follow up study?
Old 06-20-2005, 03:13 PM

Uh, perfectly able to come whether I'm stressed or not, but I'm certainly not doing anything you could actually classify as THINKING while I'm coming.

Irishgirl: studying for exams, planning a wedding, running a household and having a fantastic sex life!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:51 PM

having had an MRI recently and a nice new case of claustrophobia to go with it, the idea of having an orgasm while having an MRI strikes me as unlikely at best.

What kind of "brain scan" might they be talking about if not a narrow coffing like enclosure?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotta
having had an MRI recently and a nice new case of claustrophobia to go with it, the idea of having an orgasm while having an MRI strikes me as unlikely at best.

What kind of "brain scan" might they be talking about if not a narrow coffing like enclosure?
I recall watching a show not too long ago where couples would have sex in an MRI and they showed the scans. They would basically set them up, slide the couple in to the MRI and they could go at it.

The scans were kinda cool to watch.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterby
I recall watching a show not too long ago where couples would have sex in an MRI and they showed the scans. They would basically set them up, slide the couple in to the MRI and they could go at it.

The scans were kinda cool to watch.
You beat me to it. I saw that show too. I think I recall the couples as being employees at the lab (or at least, an employee and their SO) who were willing to partake of the experiment.

I don't recall them talking about changes in the brain, but do recall them discussing now being able to proove the angle which the man is at while inside the woman. (apparently there was some dispute about it before hand.)
Old 06-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Hmm... But wouldn't you have to stay still to have an MRI taken?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:05 PM

I was wondering the same thing. When I had an MRI done to attempt to figure out why I was getting migraines, they told me that if I didn't hold still, they would have to redo it. I can't imagine being that still during sex.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgirl
Uh, perfectly able to come whether I'm stressed or not, but I'm certainly not doing anything you could actually classify as THINKING while I'm coming.

Irishgirl: studying for exams, planning a wedding, running a household and having a fantastic sex life!
What, all at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica
I was wondering the same thing. When I had an MRI done to attempt to figure out why I was getting migraines, they told me that if I didn't hold still, they would have to redo it. I can't imagine being that still during sex.
Perhaps...restraints of some sort were involved?

Yeah, now I'm thinking of the lab, too.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Well, I always thought that women who are always complainig that guys don't know what the fuck they're doing because they can never achieve orgasms with them; really need to take a hard look at themselves. Because let's face it, if you can't please yourself, how do you expect anyone else too?

And I'm NOT talking about masturbation either.

But that's more of a personal opinion not a scientific one.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:04 PM

I think the study means your brain deactivates certain parts of itself at the time of orgasm. It doesn't mean you can't be thinking of other stuff during sex or that you can't orgasm during, say, finals week. My interpretation, anyway.

Quote:
It no doubt gets harder as you get older [...]
Some men will disagree.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hook
I think the study means your brain deactivates certain parts of itself at the time of orgasm. It doesn't mean you can't be thinking of other stuff during sex or that you can't orgasm during, say, finals week. My interpretation, anyway.
Yep - that's mine, too. My point is that I bet it is harder to "deactivate" certain parts of the brain - to "give them over to the orgasm" if you will - if they are stressed out and firing because of an inability to "let go." IANADoctor, so it is just a guess...

Quote:
Some men will disagree.
Hee hee!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideoftheFloyd
Maybe what was actually used was NMR ? equipment looks the same (at least to this layman) and is used to capture things like bloodflow in different parts of the brain ...
Old 06-21-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideoftheFloyd
Eh, I've "met" a few women who could comply.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixisis
Maybe what was actually used was NMR ? equipment looks the same (at least to this layman) and is used to capture things like bloodflow in different parts of the brain ...
NMR and MRI are exactly the same thing! However there is a distinction between functional MRI (fMRI) and anatomical MRI. The former more or less shows what bits of the brain are relatively active at a given time. Anatomical MRI just visualises the structure of the brain (or other body part) - this is what was used in the expt. where people were fucking in an MRI machine (the original paper's in the Lancet IIRC). The OP's referring to fMRI. Would be quite easy to fuck in some designs of scanner, the problem would be getting the person in the scanner to remaining still, as others have noted. Movement causes all sorts of problems in fMRI data analysis - can be corrected for to some extent, but not if the person in question is banging their head against the scanner bore...
Old 06-21-2005, 07:37 PM

Considering the implications of the experiment in regards to design and equipment, I believe we're talking about an oral examination, are we not? Dammit! Why don't they disclose this information?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:27 PM

In my happy(female) experience, there are different levels of orgasm. Some sweet and pleasant, some body-writhing and wrenching, and, the best ones just make me laugh hysterically for a few minutes after in an ecstatic losing my mind sense. I can see this study explaining that last type.

There are different levels, though, because we wimmens are wonderfully complex, so don't order that high-end orgasmometer just yet. As said here, there is a strong variable of people measured in lab circumstances. Also, according to the OP's link

http://He and colleagues took brain ...rains at rest., it's a very small sample. Not to say that the inquiry isn't worthwhile.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:33 PM

Sorry, correcting that quote, from the Op's link:

"He and colleagues took brain scans of 13 women and 11 men, aged 19-49 who had volunteered for the study, while they were being sexually stimulated by their partner and during an orgasm and compared them to images of their brains at rest"

Very small sample to draw conclusions from.