Was the US general public aware of the A-bomb before Hiroshima?

Title says it all.

No.

Not according to the misc. information on the level of sequirity on the subject I have, but then again, I was not alive at the time.

No.

Nope. Hiroshima was the big “unveiling.” The whole world was pretty astonished.

As an actual programme to develop an A-bomb, no.

The public was aware that scientists and science fiction writers had repeatedly speculated about using atomic energy for military ends. It had become a widely quoted “fun fact” in much writing pre-war writing about physics that there was enough energy in some small amount of matter - in the US, the conventional comparison tended to be a baseball - to destroy a city. There was a period of a couple of years from 1939 onwards when the initial research on fission was being reported openly in the press. As the immediate possible potential of that research became more obvious, the scientists involved in the US developed a ban on publicising it. Some press speculation did continue, though that tended to result in a visit from certain federal officials suggesting that you lay off the subject. The foreign press in neutral countries didn’t have such restrictions and they did continue speculating. But none of this was particularly informed speculation.
At various times and in various countries there were rumours that someone - usually the Germans - was developing a specifically atomic “wonder weapon”. But these were just typical wartime rumours and there’s no evidence that any derived from a leak in any of the actual programmes.

The existence of the Manhattan project was thus a complete surprise to the public. Indeed, that was a secret that’d been successfully kept from Vice President Truman: he was only informed about it a short while after succeeding Roosevelt and it came as a surprise to him.

The fact that we had built one that would work was (not surprisingly) a well guarded secret. The theoretical idea of the atomic bomb was certainly well known.

For example, there was an article in the Los Angeles Times on June 10, 1940 – nearly 18 months before the US joined the war – with the headline “First to Tap Power of Atom May Emerge Victor in War.” It outlines the basic physics and the practical challenges of building a bomb. It also laments that the Germans “were almost a year ahed of the rest of the world.”

The general public may not have known an A-bomb was coming, but the idea of there being such a thing as an A-bomb was out there:

here

here

The Germans probably were a year ahead of everyone else at the outset. Fortunately Heisenberg calculated in 1939 it would take literally hundreds of tons of uranium to produce a bomb and that much uranium was out of the question back then (not to mention how impractical toting it around would be). Due to this the Germans opted for a plutonium bomb which added delays into the process. The Germans also goofed in miscalculating how well graphite would work as a moderator and so went with heavy water…not easy to come by back then (and in one case it was actively smuggled out of France to keep it out of German hands).

On the flipside the Allied physicists made a few early intuitive leaps that made a huge difference. By the end of the war Germany was nowhere close to having a bomb.

I hope he got the royalty cheques from the US government in 1945.

The key word is that Szilard filed for a patent.

Did he actually get one?

I believe that nuclear weapons aren’t patentable now.

UK Patent 630726
http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=GB630726&F=0

The European patent office is swamped at the moment: “Please try again later.”

The patent is mentioned in the Wiki on Szilard

As I understand it Szilard’s method doesn’t work. He certainly was one of the first to suggest the possiblity of a chain reaction but his method used fast neutrons. For a sustained chain reaction I think the neutrons need to be slowed with a moderater in order to increase the probability of neutron capture resulting in the release of more neutrons.

And no, the public wasn’t aware. This led to some interesting rumors. There was a bright, young PhD physicist at the University of Iowa who disappeared. All sorts of stories circulated the wildest of which was that it had been discovered that he was a German spy. After the war he returned to Iowa from his wartime work on the Manhattan Project at Los Alamos.

From here:

I haven’t been able to find this patent (in an admittedly brief search) at the USPTO Web site, though.

To reply to the OP. I asked my mom and uncle and remember what my dad told me.

No. It was a total suprise to them. They were prepared for mucho American causilties in the invasion of Japan.

My uncle was in a transport ship from Europe in the Panama Canel on his way from Germany when he heard about the bomb. He was studying War Department training manuals on how to fight an island war when it hit.

My dad was in Okinawa on a battleship prepared to die in the assult on Japan. His ship had taken several kamikazi attacks in that battle and knew that the next one was going to be even tougher.

My mom was at home, and all she could remember was that the papers said that the toughest battle was coming.

They all felt that the bomb was a gift from GOD for our side.

I have a picture that my dad saved from VJ day, it shows the US fleet at Okinawa shooting off thier guns the night Japan surrendered, makes any 4th of July celebration you have ever seen look like like a back yard barbeque.

There were several patents that Szilard applied for in the UK during 1934. The two I have definite references to were applied for on March 12th (numbered 440023) and on June 28th (630726). For the first see here and for the second here, courtesy of the European Patent Office.

Speaking of the A-bomb and science fiction, (and as a hijack) I remember reading somewhere, possibly one of Isaac Asimov’s many collections, that apparently someone high up in the Manhattan project had considered what it would take to stop the science fiction magazines from including stories about ‘nucleic bombs’ and such. Eventually someone who was aware of the real A-bomb research and familiar with the american sci-fi fandom at the time, made the case that any such change would IMMEDIATELY tip off a few million fans that the US government really was building such a bomb. :slight_smile:

chrisk writes:

> Speaking of the A-bomb and science fiction, (and as a hijack) I remember
> reading somewhere, possibly one of Isaac Asimov’s many collections, that
> apparently someone high up in the Manhattan project had considered what it
> would take to stop the science fiction magazines from including stories
> about ‘nucleic bombs’ and such. Eventually someone who was aware of the real
> A-bomb research and familiar with the american sci-fi fandom at the time, made
> the case that any such change would IMMEDIATELY tip off a few million fans
> that the US government really was building such a bomb.

I don’t know if that’s true, but I do know that when Cleve Cartmill’s story “Deadline” about an atomic bomb was published in Astounding in 1944, federal agents went to talk to editor John W. Campbell, Jr. about it. Campbell pulled out a dozen stories from his slushpile that had the same theme. He persuaded the agents that vague knowledge of the possibility of the atomic bomb was common among science fiction writers and fans and that doing anything about the publication of such stories would just let fans and writers know that something was going on.

H.G. Wells didn’t just write about “atomic disintegration” – his book The World Set Free actually used the term “Atomic Bomb” to describe devices based upon chain reactions that desroyed entire cities, and were dropped from airplanes (Wells had pointed out how air power would revolutionize warfare in his novel “The War in the Air”. AFAIK, he’s the first one to suggest dropping atomic bombs from the air.) Leo Szilard admitted to having read Wells’ book, and of realizing the social implications of an atomic bomb because of Wells.

(Wells’ book isn’t an easy one to come by (But it’s now on Project Gutenberg – http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1059 ). I just read it a couple of years ago, ansd Wells’ chain reactions are a lot slower than in real atom bombs. They smolder for long periods of time, slowly burning the city)

Wells didn’t come up with the idea himself. He was basing his stuff on the work of
physicist Frederick Soddy, and in particular on his book The Promise of Radium, which contained the idea.

John Campbell is suppopsede to have written quite a bit about chain reactions and the like in advance of the bomb. I know that he suggested different chain reactions himself (which weren’t practical), and about the difficulty of accurately machining isotopes like plutonium (because it had so many solid state configurations with different packing factors), but a lot of that may have been after the bomb dropped. Apparently it is true that he was visited by government agents over information contained in one story about atomic processes. But it was a thoroughly forgettable story by a minor author – it’s not like Heinlein was revealing The Big Secret in one of his works.