The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-27-2000, 09:09 PM
BANNED

i was arguing with some workpeople yesterday.

we were really thirsty, and after acquiring some water, one of them exclaimed "there's nothing better than water."

i immediately replied with "lemonade is." i said this because i prefer lemonade, i do. man, lemonade is good.

but anyway... this evolved into a discussion about which would keep you alive longer, water or lemonade.

i figured lemonade would, considering it gives you both water and some sugars, etc.

they were adamant that water would keep you alive longer, because it is pure water. they compared lemonade to coffee, saying it would dehydrate you.

which would keep you alive longer, then?
Old 07-27-2000, 09:16 PM

The situation is that you get to intake NOTHING except unlimited quantities of water, with or without sugar and lemon added? Or can you make your lemonade any way you want it....like by adding a little iodized salt and other minor ingredients?
Old 07-27-2000, 09:19 PM
BANNED

you are chained to a restaurant stool.

you can only drink bottled spring water or some average bottled lemonade.

which would keep you alive the longest?
Old 07-27-2000, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Since I would die in a few months anyway, I'm going with Lemonaide. Man I love lemonaide.
Wait, are we talking American lemonaide or British? My friend works at a sports bar in Orlando and he gets a lot of English customers. Whenever they order a 'lemonaide' he gives them a 7up or Sprite because that is really what they are asking for. What's up with that??
Old 07-27-2000, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kilgore Trout
you are chained to a restaurant stool.

you can only drink bottled spring water or some average bottled lemonade.

which would keep you alive the longest?
I'm going with the average bottled lemonade.
Old 07-27-2000, 09:38 PM

"average bottled lemonade?" eeeyuw. But on a hot summer day, I agree with Bear_Nenno: Brother, there ain't nuthin' like an ice cold glass of real fresh-squeezed lemonade...mmmmmm...uhh, purely scientifically, of course.
Old 07-27-2000, 09:40 PM

Hmm. The advantage to the lemonade, one would think, would be that you were getting some Vitamin C along with the water. Then again, if it does dehydrate you like the OP said, maybe not.

Now, if I could get a Mike's Hard Lemonade (hey, it comes in a bottle) instead, I think I'd take that. If I've gotta be chained to a stool, I might as well have a buzz on.
Old 07-27-2000, 09:40 PM

I'd like to know more about this "chained to the restaurant stool" thing.

I'd say lemonade would keep you alive longer.
Old 07-28-2000, 02:04 AM
Charter Member

It'll take a little more lemonade to provide the same amount of thirst-quenching as water, since it's the water that's actually helping thirst, and lemonade isn't pure water. On the other hand, except for strong alcoholic beverages, most beverages are over 90% water anyway, so unless they contain caffeine or some other drug which affects the kidneys or sweat glands, they're almost as good as water. Further, with the lemonade, you're getting some other stuff like citric acid and sugar, not to mention possibly enjoying it more.
Old 07-28-2000, 02:28 AM

yeah, i'm guessing that the salt content of a lemon isn't that high. so although it's not pure water, the lemonade shouldn't make you that much thirstier. the sugar and other good stuff in the lemonade will probably keep you alive longer. and even if it did kill you sooner, man what a way to go. mmmmmm, lemonade.

and at least you wouldn't die of scurvy. ye mangey limey. arrrr.
Old 07-28-2000, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jb_farley
yeah, i'm guessing that the salt content of a lemon isn't that high. so although it's not pure water, the lemonade shouldn't make you that much thirstier. the sugar and other good stuff in the lemonade will probably keep you alive longer. and even if it did kill you sooner, man what a way to go. mmmmmm, lemonade.

and at least you wouldn't die of scurvy. ye mangey limey. arrrr.
While the salt content of a LEMON isn't that high, I'll bet you can find 'average bottled lemonade' with a little sodium. But after three months of being chained to a stool in a diner (by now long out of business), I imagine the flies would be a little thick. I'm guessing you could eat enough of them to survive.....if you wanted to.
Old 07-28-2000, 07:39 AM

there is no such thing as "pure water". being a universal solvent, water contains all kinds of stuff dissolved in it (and some not-dissolved stuff too)
Old 07-28-2000, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JayLa

Now, if I could get a Mike's Hard Lemonade (hey, it comes in a bottle) instead, I think I'd take that. If I've gotta be chained to a stool, I might as well have a buzz on.
Mmmmmmm, Mike's Hard Lemonade
Yumm
Old 07-28-2000, 08:18 AM

I'd go with the lemonaide, mostly because I think it WOULDN'T keep me alive the longest. Who would want a long life of being chained to a bar stool?

But if I had my druthers, I'd have that half and half ice tea/lemonaide. Damn, that stuff is good. Mmmmm...
Old 07-28-2000, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear_Nenno
Since I would die in a few months anyway, I'm going with Lemonaide. Man I love lemonaide.
Wait, are we talking American lemonaide or British? My friend works at a sports bar in Orlando and he gets a lot of English customers. Whenever they order a 'lemonaide' he gives them a 7up or Sprite because that is really what they are asking for. What's up with that??
Here in the UK lemonade is just lemon soda. 7up or Sprite are the nearest equivalents in the US that I know of. IMHO the unavailability of 'real' lemonade is one of the few major downsides to living here compared to the US
Old 07-28-2000, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
IMHO the unavailability of 'real' lemonade is one of the few major downsides to living here compared to the US
Don't they have lemons there? Can't you, I don't know, make some lemonade?
Old 07-28-2000, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ticker

Here in the UK lemonade is just lemon soda. 7up or Sprite are the nearest equivalents in the US that I know of. IMHO the unavailability of 'real' lemonade is one of the few major downsides to living here compared to the US [/B]
The inavailability of guns being a major upside then?

Make your own damn lemonade, anyway. It's not so difficult. Finding a day hot enough to drink it is another matter.

Having said that, it's 81 degrees here in Leeds at the moment... man, I could do with a Lemonade.
Old 07-28-2000, 09:42 AM
BANNED

Citris juices stimulate the bladder causing you to pee more.
Old 07-28-2000, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZenBeam
Quote:
IMHO the unavailability of 'real' lemonade is one of the few major downsides to living here compared to the US
Don't they have lemons there? Can't you, I don't know, make some lemonade?
Marvelous idea! Never really occured to me 'cos, well, i'm british!

Approx. how many lemons and how much sugar to a quart?
Old 07-28-2000, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I just made the best lemonade I've ever had using a recipe I found in our local paper. Here it is:

1.5 cups water
1.5 cups sugar
1.5 cups fresh lemon juice
zest (grated rind) of one lemon

Mix together the sugar & water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, boil for 3 minutes, or until the sugar is completely dissolved. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and lemon rind. Chill at least an hour, or until cold.

At this point, the recipe says to strain out the lemon zest, but I left it in.

To make lemonade from the syrup, pour syrup into glass until it's 1/3 full. Add water or carbonated water (ie, soda) & ice until full. Stir. Drink. Enjoy.

It's also pretty good if you throw a shot of rum or vodka in it.
Old 07-28-2000, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ticker Marvelous idea! Never really occured to me 'cos, well, i'm british!

Approx. how many lemons and how much sugar to a quart? [/B]
Good grief, I'M British and even I know this one!

Just buy a bag of about 8 lemons, squeeze the juice into a jug, cut the peel off the lemons (not the pith) and stick a bit of that in the jug too. Then add some citric acid (not sure how much) and a shitload of sugar. Then boil it for some time and let it cool.

Now you have lemonade concentrate, which you can mix with still or sparkling mineral water (NOT tap water though, if you live in London ).

P.S. Actually, I only know this because my wife is Mexican. They make damn fine lemonade in Mexico...
Old 07-28-2000, 10:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mothra
Quote:
Good grief, I'M British and even I know this one!
The embarrasing thing is my mother is actually a Yank. You would think this sort of knowledge would have been passed down in the genes. I shall go out and buy some lemons tonight, then call her up and make her feel guilty about depriving me of my roots!
Old 07-28-2000, 10:05 AM

Whoa there, I've seen a fresh-squeezed lemonade stand in Britain. (York city center, if you're thinking of making an expedition.) They were doing a thriving business -- perhaps you should go commercial with that recipe.

On the other hand, you cannot get lemon soda in the US for love nor money. I'll take your country over mine any day.
Old 07-28-2000, 10:51 AM

Bah -- I worked at an American ice cream parlor a few years back, and we sold many a lemon soda (with or without ice cream) during a hot summer day.
Old 07-28-2000, 11:35 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally posted by Fretful Porpentine
Whoa there, I've seen a fresh-squeezed lemonade stand in Britain. (York city center, if you're thinking of making an expedition.) They were doing a thriving business -- perhaps you should go commercial with that recipe.

On the other hand, you cannot get lemon soda in the US for love nor money. I'll take your country over mine any day.
And you can get "proper" bottled lemonade in England- it's already prediluted with (usually) still waterit's cloudy-dull-yellow/green (ie not bright yellow like a car or lemon rind...) & has a label on it that says something along the lines of "Traditional" Lemonade - ie it actually has some lemon in it somewhere instead of fizzy sweet colourless, water
Fi - defending our fair nation from the slanders of faulty shoppers!
Old 07-28-2000, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phobos
there is no such thing as "pure water". being a universal solvent, water contains all kinds of stuff dissolved in it (and some not-dissolved stuff too)
What? Your favorite resturant with stool chains doesn't have DI water?
Old 07-28-2000, 02:53 PM

Fretful,

Several years of careful research have concluded that "Citra" sold in the states is *almost* identical to Lemon Fanta, sold in Europe. Amazingly, they're both manufactured by Coca-Cola. How 'bout that!? Citra became available around here about 2 years ago amidst great rejoicing (on my part, anyway)

However, I believe that Citra has been doctored with some slight quantity of grapefruit flavoring to make it taste more like its nearest competitor, Squirt. Which is also tasty, btw.
Old 07-28-2000, 05:05 PM

Thanks, rmariamp! I'll keep my eye out for Citra.

Does anybody know if there's a similar American equivalent for Lilt pineapple-grapefruit crush, or is that too much to hope for?
Old 07-28-2000, 06:27 PM

Quote:
[B]Whoa there, I've seen a fresh-squeezed lemonade stand in Britain. (York city center, if you're thinking of making an expedition.) They were doing a thriving business -- perhaps you should go commercial with that recipe.
They only put that out for the American touists in specially designated 'Tourist Areas' from which ordinary British people are banned.

Quote:
On the other hand, you cannot get lemon soda in the US for love nor money.
What is "lemon soda" anyway? I've never seen it in England before.
Old 07-28-2000, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fierra
And you can get "proper" bottled lemonade in England- it's already prediluted with (usually) still water it's cloudy-dull-yellow/green (ie not bright yellow like a car or lemon rind...) & has a label on it that says something along the lines of "Traditional" Lemonade - ie it actually has some lemon in it somewhere instead of fizzy sweet colourless, water
[/B]
Well, someone may have whispered the word "lemon" somewhere near the bottle at some point, but it's hardly what you'd call "Traditional Lemonade". It's really just another flavoured, carbonated beverage, just like Sprite and 7-Up.
Old 07-29-2000, 11:07 AM

Quote:
What is "lemon soda" anyway? I've never seen it in England before.
You've never seen lemon Fanta? Or lemon Schweppes? Or lemon Tango (which is an abomination unto the Lord, but this thread has probably wandered far enough off course already)?

Just out of curiosity, is "soda" the right word? What's the generic British term for a sweet, carbonated non-alcoholic beverage?
Old 07-30-2000, 07:29 PM

I'm going with lemonade. The comparison to coffee is unfair because coffee contains caffeine, which is a diuretic. That's why it dehydrates you. Lemonade, on the other hand, doesn't.
Old 07-30-2000, 07:32 PM

Unless, of course, it's Mike's Hard Alcohol is also a diuretic.

A diuretic, by the way, is a drug that makes you go pee.
Old 07-31-2000, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, is "soda" the right word? What's the generic British term for a sweet, carbonated non-alcoholic beverage?
Either "pop", or "soft drink" (with emphasis on the word "soft"), e.g. "Could I have a bottle of pop, please?" or "Do you have any soft drinks?".

Also (just about) acceptable: "fizzy" (diminutive) or "fizzy pop" (somewhat redundant diminutive).

We don't use the word soda, except to describe "soda water", i.e. ordinary tap water put in a "soda syphon" - a device that carbonates the water as it is dispensed.
Old 07-31-2000, 11:35 AM

Oh and...
Quote:
You've never seen lemon Fanta?
Nope. Not in England. Just Orange Fanta.

Quote:
Or lemon Schweppes?
It's called Schweppes Lemonade here, but its flavouring is derived from citric acid. Not a lemon to be found, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Or lemon Tango (which is an abomination unto the Lord,
You mean you poor Americans have had that inflicted on you too?

Quote:
...but this thread has probably wandered far enough off course already)?
all the best threads do this.
Old 07-31-2000, 11:45 AM

Fretful,

Lilt, although manufactured by Coca-Cola, is not available in the U.S. I recommend calling the home office hourly to complain

Don't even get me started on the differences between orange fanta sold in Italy, Bulgaria, Greece (yum), etc & Orange Fanta sold in the U.S.(yuck).