Tiny appliances I can hide in my office?

I’m wondering if anyone knows of any commercially available refrigerators, freezers, and microwaves of very small sizes (say, a half a cubic foot or so in capacity). I’m looking for a way to avoid using the common pantry at office – I need things that are easily hidden from view.

Think Geek!

Unit dimensions: 12.5” x 13.5” x 17.5”
Unit weight: 15 lbs.

Check out Compact Appliances. They have lots of small, portable appliances. But I do think it’ll be hard to find anything tiny enough to be hidden.

If you can’t hide something, disguise it as something else. Like get an old, massive copier, rip out its guts, and slip a dorm type fridge inside. Add a ‘out of order’ sign, and bingo!

Just make sure you don’t plug them into your computer’s surge protector, or any power strip that is not designed for major appliances.

And if you decide to go all-out and build a little sleeping area under your desk, don’t use an alarm clock with an audible “tick-tock”.

:smiley:

Even a little one?

Personally, I think my suggestion fits your needs perfectly. You could easily put it under your desk and/or put a tablecloth over it.

Am I the only one who thought this thread said:

Tiny Appliances I can hide in my ORIFICE

They have cameras for that. :wink:
acsenray, raid your local dump for an old filing cabinet, glue the drawers in place, and cut the whole front off. Glue that front to the door of a dorm fridge, and drape the whole thing with a pretty tablecloth or something that hangs to the floor on each side, and put it with it’s back to the wall. Adorn the top with paper weights and knickknacks. Presto, insta-filingfridge. :smiley:

Why do you need to do this? I sense there’s a back-story here that we’re missing. Is your own food being stolen? Is there a conspiring cabal of co-workers lurking for you in the break room? Do tell!

There may be some sanitation issues involved. Having food in your office may attract vermin of some sort. Someone else already mentioned the possible power problems, but what about air circulation to remove odor? What if you have a fire in your little homemade kitchen?

I think you should share your issues, maybe we can come up with another solution.

BTW, I’ve heard of disguising the microwave as a television by adding a (non-functional) set of rabbit ears to the top. Probably not an option for you, but camouflage seems to be a theme of some other posts.

Hmmm… a bread machine under my desk would be very nice! :smiley:

I wouldn’t. Power strips and surge protectors are not designed to be used that way, and it’s possible to cause a fire by using them with heating appliances or refrigerators.

You should just do what I do - get a soft sided lunch bag with an ice pack and carry your lunch and drinks in it every day. They’ll stay cold for as long as you need them to.

If you really need a little bitty fridge and food warmer, though, this might be just the thing for you.

They don’t protect against surges and can’t strip multiple outlets? scratches head

As long as your amperage load is within the tolerance of the power strip (which it likey is for tiny Sharper Image type office appliances), then I don’t see the difference between a fridge turning on, and a computer monitor turning on.

Actually, it’s best if they’re not even on the same power circuit.

Reading the specs on that thing, apparently it’s 9-1/2’ W x 7’ L x 10-1/2’ H. I think people might notice a walk-in fridge in the office, even with a cloth draped over it.

I have one of those little fridges linked to by Mr Moto on my desk at work. It’ll keep 4 large cans of beer (inserted purely in the interests of scientifically proving its cooling power) nice and cold with just enough room to slip a sandwich in on top of them.

It doesn’t make much noise, but it does make a persistent whooshing sound that may give it away in a quiet office.

No. No, you weren’t.

Robin