Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 AM
deevee deevee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge Ontario
Posts: 554
Difference Between Rubbing Alcohol and Methanol

The only thing I use rubbing alcohol for is to dab on the odd zit that pops up or to disinfect small cuts and scratches. The bottle is empty but I have a big jug of methyl hydrate in the basement. Is there any reason why I cant just use that instead?
  #2  
Old 07-28-2005, 09:05 AM
CalMeacham CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,665
Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl diluted with water. It's got three carbons

"Methyl hydrate" (I swear I've never heard it called that, but Googling confirms it's a synonym) is methanol or methyl alcohol, with one carbon.

Completely different compounds. I wouldn't drink either one. I don't think rubbing methabnol on you is harmful, but check anyway.
__________________
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
  #3  
Old 07-28-2005, 09:10 AM
xbuckeye xbuckeye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: #7
Posts: 1,030
IANAD, but I handle methanol, ethanol, and isopropyl alcohol and there is no reason why it would hurt to use methanol over the others. Methanol is harder on fingernail polish than isopropyl alcohol.
  #4  
Old 07-29-2005, 05:25 AM
scm1001 scm1001 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: cambridge
Posts: 2,340
Interestingly the LD50 values for methanol (5.8 g/kg), ethanol (7.1 g/kg) and isopropanol ((5.8 g/ kg) (i.e the amount that will kill half of the test animals) are very similar. I suspect that methanol has more low level toxicity (i.e harmful effects).

However, methanol is classed as toxic and do not use on the body!
  #5  
Old 07-29-2005, 07:34 AM
xbuckeye xbuckeye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: #7
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1001
Interestingly the LD50 values for methanol (5.8 g/kg), ethanol (7.1 g/kg) and isopropanol ((5.8 g/ kg) (i.e the amount that will kill half of the test animals) are very similar. I suspect that methanol has more low level toxicity (i.e harmful effects).

However, methanol is classed as toxic and do not use on the body!
LD50's only apply if you are drinking it. I don't think the OP is taking it internally or using it in culinary applications. I would recommend against taking any of them internally. I also wouldn't bathe in any of them. Intermittent small exposure, like the OP describes, has never caused anyone I have ever known any medical problems.
  #6  
Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Enola Straight Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 5,777
IIRC, methanol can be absorbed directly through the skin.
  #7  
Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Ruken Ruken is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 5,718
I'd stay away from methanol. At non-fatal doses it can still cause considerable nerve damage and blindness. Absorbtion through the skin can occur, although this isn't as fast as drinking it or breathing the fumes. Isopropanol still isn't good for you, but it's less volatile (less inhalation danger) and won't make you blind (I think).

You can search for "msds [alcohol name]" for many many links to safety information if anyone is interested.
  #8  
Old 07-29-2005, 01:02 PM
deevee deevee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge Ontario
Posts: 554
Thanks folks. Although I will buy isopropynol on shopping day I think it's safe to dab my zit with a little methanol.
  #9  
Old 07-29-2005, 01:07 PM
UncleBeer UncleBeer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NAC: 8104J PWQ7X
Posts: 11,969
Quote:
IIRC, methanol can be absorbed directly through the skin.
Correct. Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for methanol.
http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/methanol.htm
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017